Bishop Lei International House
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness centre
1,082 results
All reviewsthe mid level escalatorsrobinson roadrooms are smallmidlevels escalatora harbour view suiteshuttle bussoho areasingle roomcentral stationbars and restaurantspeak tramadmiralty mtrshort walkfloor to ceiling windowsairport expresshk islandstandard room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We were put up in the Bishop Lea because we needed accomodation to fit with our budget for a work conference and so you need to have realistic expectations as a result. However, the BL tries to give the appearance of having the usual amenities ... and fails in many regards.

I don't mind that the rooms are small, it is Hong Kong after all. I don't mind that the decor is older, because it was kept very clean. I do mind that the staff were generally clueless and unhelpful and that this was one of the noisiest places I've ever stayed and I would not have gotten any sleep at all during the week I stayed if I had not supplied my own earplugs.

The tiny room I was given was directly across from the three lifts and appeared to be near one of the supply closets for the housekeeping / cleaning staff. As it is near Christmas, there is also generic christmas music being played out of speakers in the hallway ceilings that goes all night. The other guests and cleaning staff don't care that I've travelled a long distance and have jet lag, as they demonstrated by talking in loud voices throughout the night right outside my room, whilst simultaneously speaking on walkie talkies turned up to maximum volume to compete with the 24-hour christmas music.

Every interaction with the staff of the hotel was pretty frustrating and was a test of my patience - it failed on a couple of occasions. It is understandable that their english was not always the best, but there also seemed to be a lack of willingness to understand or offer assistance on even basic things and the explanations offered simply lacked logic.

I know you get what you pay for, but Hong Kong prices are pretty steap and this simply didn't feel like value for money. I will definitely return to HK, as I loved the city, but I'll be giving the BL a wide berth.

Room Tip: Corner rooms don't have broadband, but if you arrive later in the day they often apparently run out of the standard rooms and you get a free upgrade (as my colleagues all gleefully informed me)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed 12 December 2011

3rd time staying here - good location not far from Mid-Levels escalators. Short (steep!) walk down Albany Road to Central area and Foreign Correspondents' Club in Lower Albert Street and then not far from Star Ferry. Wonderful harbour views from some rooms. Friendly staff, quick check-in/check-out, avoid the stupidly high price of 32 dollars for a bottle of water from the minibar! (I expect to pay a bit more for minibar drinks, but that's a rip off). Turn right out of the Hotel and there's a 7/11 about 3 minutes up the street. Other good points are Free WiFI in room and free shuttle bus to Airport Express station

Room Tip: Pay more for a Harbour View room
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Justinthai
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Swinming pool at this 3.5 star hotel. Opp a school. To go escalator to town, turn right from hotel. There is a wellcome store at right side of hotel. Escalator to mrt takes 15min, passing by lan kwai fong and nite spots

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 6 December 2011

If you want to be a very short hop from the escalators in this upscale residential neighborhood and understand that crowded Hong Kong has small rooms, this is a good choice. There are a few inexpensive restaurants within a block or so and some nicer ones as you work your way down the escalator. Good value and helpful desk.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ready2Go2008
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We were pleased we'd read advice on this site before booking - we spent a week there & really needed our Junior suite to try to spread out a little. The bedroom area was tiny, with a mini-wardrobe. There was another wardrobe next to the dated bathroom, but very little drawer space. Strangely enough there were LOADS of bookshelves, as well as a desk, in the sitting area! Did the hotel designers imagine guests were coming to Bishop Lei to study?
The only mirror was in the bathroom, so to use the hairdryer (fixed in the main wardrobe) I had to have the bathroom door open.
The staff weren't amazing - on arrival when we requested a room on a higher floor to get harbour views we were told "The computer's down - come back in 2 hours" - 2 hours later (and next day!) same answer! The concierge told us he couldn't (wouldn't?) get us a taxi, and we gave up trying to use the (to be paid for) computer when the receptionist seemed unable to find us another chair, the only 2 chairs in the Business Centre being hogged by 2 business men using the only other computer.
Our deal included breakfast, but because we only had a book of coupons for the room, rather than per person, they lost no time in slapping a bill for one breakfast on our table, before the problem was sorted out. The breakfasts themselves were very repetitive - little or no variation from day to day, and not much of a selection to choose from. You could have omelettes or eggs fried to order, but you were made to return to your table while they were cooked, which meant you couldn't show the chef exactly how you wanted it (his English wasn't up to you explaining!) In theory your egg was brought to your table - if somebody else didn't nip in & grab it before the waiter got to it!
The lifts were dire - although there were 3 of them often one would be stuck on the ground floor, & at busy times the other 2 would go past floor 1 (the restaurant) so a queue built up.
All in all, a 3* hotel with only 2* decor & facilities & 1* service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room (or preferable a suite) on as high a floor as possible, with harbour views. If you're on a low floor or at the back of the hotel your onlly view will be of nearby blocks of flats.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple