“A bargain, and great value.”

Bishop Lei International House
Ranked #166 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Melbourne
“A bargain, and great value.”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I booked 3 nights in a standard room. After reading mixed reviews on the location and room size I wasn't sure what to expect.

I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised. The room was very good - and absolutely spotless. The bed was firm and comfortable, there was plenty of storage space (which makes up for the smallish floor space), and the air conditioner worked well. The shower had both a regular and rain shower head which was great.

The hotel restaurant was fine, but there are plenty of local restaurants and cafes to try. The wi-fi was free and reliable.

The only note I'd make is that you need to bring your own bottled water (the mini bar option is pretty expensive).

The location was great - very accessible via the escalators or a short cab ride from HK Central (10 mins). There is also a regular shuttle, run by the hotel.

In would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here for six nights while working at the University of Hong Kong (the University booked the room). The location is good (one can walk down the steps to Central and up again via the escalators) and there are some good restaurants nearby, the wifi is free and the staff polite and helpful but I have never stayed in such a small hotel room. I slept OK but everything was so cramped. I didn't think much of the breakfasts either - we were all squashed together in the breakfast room and had difficulty passing other guests when collecting our food. I hope I never have to stay there again. One night I found a cake wrapper beneath the desk in my tiny room (and it wasn't mine). I assume it was the cleaner's.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any good rooms. My room was 1312 so avoid this one
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Barbara W

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed in a suite, which was relatively small but clean. I think most suites overlook the south side, so the view is top-notch. In terms of location, it's probably not as convenient as the larger hotels that are right smack in the shopping districts. Bishop Lei is about a 10-15 minute stroll down the hill to the nearest MTR station. There is a bus stop outside, and #23 takes you to Causeway Bay. Otherwise, lots of taxis are available, as well as the hotel shuttle which runs about once an hour. 5 minute stroll to the Central Escalators.

I didn't try the restaurant, as I prefer to go outside for breakfast. There's a cheap, local cafe on Caine Road that was the closest I could find for a quick breakfast.

Only 1 complaint -- sometimes at night I could hear the zoo animals from the nearby Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens.

Generally good value for money, and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Netanya, Israel
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at bishop lei hotel.
Not disappointed.
Lovely upgraded room.
No complaints.
Location 5 minutes walk to jcc and 2 minutes walk to escalator.
Excellent service.
View from our room was spectacular.

• Stayed December 2013
Niles, Illinois
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed here twice over the past three years, and, while it is pricey (at least for the larger, more comfortable rooms for someone my size), the location cannot be beat. On my last trip I was there for eleven days, and I could walk anywhere in Central or Western District with ease.
The rooms, at least the larger ones, are quite comfortable, and the staff works hard to keep everything neat and tidy.
The restaurant provides good food in great variety for a very reasonable price.
Overall, I plan to stay there again on my next trip, but I will have to save up for a while.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Zhuxiu
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This hotel is not well known and had to show the map to taxi driver to reach.

That being said this is located at an amazing part of the city. Its a short walk to the escalators.

Rooms in Hong Kong are usually small. This was even smaller. If you are a couple take a suite room else no place for luggage.

Its clean and neat and definitely not the luxurious side.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Our non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke. They offered to turn on the air conditioning and spray freshener, would not let us switch rooms.

Our dining experience was horrible. We were lazy so decided to eat at the hotel. Bad idea. The pork cutlet was bloody. The fish tasted very fishy like it was weeks old and the rice was watery. We billed to our room to not complain around other guests, and took our complaints to the hotel manager who refused to issue a refund. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed March 2014