“Great location, will pay for a larger room next time!”

Bishop Lei International House
Ranked #150 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, will pay for a larger room next time!”
Reviewed 1 March 2009

A friend recommended this hotel for our 24 hour stopover. The location was very convenient, very close to the top of the escalator that travels from the bottom of Hong Kong Island up to the top. We walked down the steps/little streets & alleys for a fascinating quick view of the street market scene - found little noodle shops, fruit stalls etc. We took a bus right outside that took us to the point to take the tram to the Peak. Our room was the cheapest one, and it was absolutely fine, for a shoebox! However, we met other people there who raved about their rooms - particularly one couple who stayed there frequently & had a suite. It's definitely worth checking out. Breakfast wasn't included in the price (HKD 440 inc tax - $Aus75). Would definitely stay there again, but in a larger room.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank josephine2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Having stayed in various hotels in Hong Kong over the years, I chose the Bishop Lei International House due to its close proximity to the Airport Express terminal and the mid-levels escalator, and stayed for one night on the 19th January 2008. The staff were extremely helpful and efficient. The room and bathroom were very clean with large duvets, big fluffy towels, tea and coffee making facilities, free newspaper and WIFI and a stunning cityscape view (although not Harbour View as booked). Looking out of the window, a pool with sun loungers and a nice terrace with tables and chairs could be seen below. After a brief sojourn across the harbour we returned for a good nights sleep ready for an early morning flight. This is where the hotel has unfortunately let itself down big time – the smallest and hardest hotel bed I have ever slept in. What a shame as this detracts from what is otherwise an excellent choice of hotel in a central location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed January 2009
3 Thank MidlandsButterNut
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Well it was cheap, in a supposedly good location (mid-levels), and close to my friend's place (which was good because I was in transit for about 8 hours overnight), but overall I was really unimpressed with this place.

I got the room for HKD473 through a web based accommodation service, although I was staying just after peak season so most hotels in the same price range were equally discounted.

I normally stay at the JJ Hotel, in Wan Chai, which I really love, but Bishop Lei was recommended to me so I thought I'd give it a go.

So what was wrong? I booked the cheapest room possible (inner courtyard, no view, do not pass go do not collect $200) but was advised at check-in that I had been 'upgraded' to a harbour view room. The reason I was upgraded was because there were no more double rooms available, and so I was given the last twin left which happened to be on floor 25.

Anyways - the room when I got there was tiny. Not kidding. THE smallest room I have ever had in HK. I have seen pictures of smaller rooms here on trip advisor but this is the first time I've experienced them! Not only tiny but retro 1970s/80s to boot. Dull curtains, dull carpets, dull tiling in the bathroom and dull lighting.

While we're on the negatives, there was no free bottled water, which I think is unusual in HK where you normally get at least one or two small bottles. There was a sign in the bathroom saying 'tap water must be boiled before drinking'. A kettle, tea, coffee and creamer were provided,

The positives. Sheets and bathroom were spotlessly clean and room service provided an iron for me within a couple of minutes of the request. Room service also converted the twin into a double while I was out for dinner (I was just a bit too tall to fit on a small single and had to have the beds made up so I could at least fit on sideways!). And the wake-up call was on time.

Oh - the harbour view? Yeah not that exciting, a bit of a glimpse of the harbour in the distance.

Location. I still prefer somewhere like Wan Chai. Wan Chai is easy to get to with a taxi, and was actually cheaper to get to than mid-levels from the Hong Kong Express station. Also the tram runs from Wan Chai which takes about the same time as the escalator from Central to mid-levels. Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel in future unless it was the last one left in its price category.

• Liked — spotlessly clean
  • Disliked — tiny rooms, dull decor
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank WGee

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

cambridge ma
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Beware of this hotel. We reserved a room, then had to cancel. We cancelled in plenty of time. But they refused to accept the email cancelling the reservation. In their reservation confirmation, they had some vague instructions about how to cancel--but the instructions made it impossible to know what they meant. As a result, they extorted over a $100.00 from us.

Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Magyar5
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 January 2009

Although not super-cheap, this is a very good deal for what you get -- a very clean, well-run hotel with modern amenities in a very convenient location just a few blocks from the escalators/steps down to Soho and Central (or a very cheap cab ride down).

I loved the views, the free wifi and the newly-renovated room. Only downsides were the construction noise during the day (after which rates may go up, however); the very small and very hard single bed I had; and the fact that the fitness room is quite bare-bones (although it does have an amazing view of the city). Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank NYC1
sydney
Reviewed 15 December 2008

We've stayed at the Bishop a number of times this year the latest being December this year. Located on Robinson road near to the escalator and just above Soho & LKF, the Bishop is very conveniently located to Central Hong Kong. It's currently under a well deserved renovation but if your out during the day, this shouldn't affect you too much. Like all Hong Kong hotels, the rooms are pretty small. We usually booked a "suite" which for the extra money was well worth it as we ended up with a separate lounge room and bedroom. It's not much to rave about but it's comfortable, clean, conveniently located and in comparison to other hotels in HK, pretty reasonable on the pocket!!!

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Under renovation
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank luxury_backpackers
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 December 2008

The hotel is in a great location at the top of the escalators and is good value for your money in Hong Kong. However, the receptionist desk staff are hard to communicate with. We had to cancel our last night (due to airport problems in Bangkok we had to change flights and plans), but trying tospeak to the staff about this was very difficult. We had to insist on talking to a manager as we kept being told no to getting our money back for our cancelled night (minus deposit). We were told a manager did not work on Mondays so my husband had to raise his voice to ask for a manager, then one suddenly appeared and helped us sort out the problem.
On our second night we came back to our two rooms (on same floor but different sides of building) to discover that our soft comfortable beds had been replaced with hard smaller beds. Once again we had problems getting a manager to sort out the problem and to get an explanation. They told us that one of the beds had a stain so they changed all the beds?????? Not sure why really. Absurd!
Otherwise rooms are clean and well maintained and serviced.

• Stayed December 2008