“Great stay - Suited us to a T”

Bishop Lei International House
Ranked #152 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 April 2009

We booked this over the phone 2hrs before arriving and we were able to get a discount on 2 Harbour View Suites HKD880 bargin - so the suite consisted of 2 rooms (1 room with 2 single beds flat screen telly and a lounge with desk and sofa with a large flat screen), we had free Wifi which was very helpful as we had our lap top. The bathroom was a good size with hair dryer and normal additionals the shower had two shower heads one detachable. The rooms were all clean and tidy we had massive ceiling to floor windows and nice enough view we were on the 23rd floor which was helpful. The people at the desk were very helpful the location was fine for us as we had already spent 4 nights at Happy Valley area and the bus service out side was very handy and the cabs down to LFK were cheap. All in all we had a lovely stay here and would recommend this place to friends and family. Only thing was breakfast was not included which I prefer in a hotel as it sets me up for the day and I cant start doing the touristy thing right away, they did have a resturant there but we never got a chance to sample.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank 4SAMOA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,060)

Reviewed 26 March 2009

We stayed one night at the Bishop Lei. It's a basic hotel in a residential area. It is located very close to the escalators, giving you easy access shops. Bars, night life and shopping are a short stroll away. Although the hotel had free internet access in the room, we weren't able to connect. As mentioned in other reviews, the rooms are very small. That being said, they're clean and reasonably priced for Hong Kong.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RopiTravelGuy
Reviewed 8 March 2009

First stay at this hotel. Was warned that rooms are small so booked a suite with harbor view. If more than one person I would definitely recommend booking a suite. Didn't see much of the harbor but the view was still very nice. Loved using the escalator to head down to the restaurants. Central was easy to get to on foot.

Usually stay in TST but I think this will now be my regular hotel in HK.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Need_GPS
Reviewed 1 March 2009

A friend recommended this hotel for our 24 hour stopover. The location was very convenient, very close to the top of the escalator that travels from the bottom of Hong Kong Island up to the top. We walked down the steps/little streets & alleys for a fascinating quick view of the street market scene - found little noodle shops, fruit stalls etc. We took a bus right outside that took us to the point to take the tram to the Peak. Our room was the cheapest one, and it was absolutely fine, for a shoebox! However, we met other people there who raved about their rooms - particularly one couple who stayed there frequently & had a suite. It's definitely worth checking out. Breakfast wasn't included in the price (HKD 440 inc tax - $Aus75). Would definitely stay there again, but in a larger room.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank josephine2
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Having stayed in various hotels in Hong Kong over the years, I chose the Bishop Lei International House due to its close proximity to the Airport Express terminal and the mid-levels escalator, and stayed for one night on the 19th January 2008. The staff were extremely helpful and efficient. The room and bathroom were very clean with large duvets, big fluffy towels, tea and coffee making facilities, free newspaper and WIFI and a stunning cityscape view (although not Harbour View as booked). Looking out of the window, a pool with sun loungers and a nice terrace with tables and chairs could be seen below. After a brief sojourn across the harbour we returned for a good nights sleep ready for an early morning flight. This is where the hotel has unfortunately let itself down big time – the smallest and hardest hotel bed I have ever slept in. What a shame as this detracts from what is otherwise an excellent choice of hotel in a central location.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank MidlandsButterNut
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Well it was cheap, in a supposedly good location (mid-levels), and close to my friend's place (which was good because I was in transit for about 8 hours overnight), but overall I was really unimpressed with this place.

I got the room for HKD473 through a web based accommodation service, although I was staying just after peak season so most hotels in the same price range were equally discounted.

I normally stay at the JJ Hotel, in Wan Chai, which I really love, but Bishop Lei was recommended to me so I thought I'd give it a go.

So what was wrong? I booked the cheapest room possible (inner courtyard, no view, do not pass go do not collect $200) but was advised at check-in that I had been 'upgraded' to a harbour view room. The reason I was upgraded was because there were no more double rooms available, and so I was given the last twin left which happened to be on floor 25.

Anyways - the room when I got there was tiny. Not kidding. THE smallest room I have ever had in HK. I have seen pictures of smaller rooms here on trip advisor but this is the first time I've experienced them! Not only tiny but retro 1970s/80s to boot. Dull curtains, dull carpets, dull tiling in the bathroom and dull lighting.

While we're on the negatives, there was no free bottled water, which I think is unusual in HK where you normally get at least one or two small bottles. There was a sign in the bathroom saying 'tap water must be boiled before drinking'. A kettle, tea, coffee and creamer were provided,

The positives. Sheets and bathroom were spotlessly clean and room service provided an iron for me within a couple of minutes of the request. Room service also converted the twin into a double while I was out for dinner (I was just a bit too tall to fit on a small single and had to have the beds made up so I could at least fit on sideways!). And the wake-up call was on time.

Oh - the harbour view? Yeah not that exciting, a bit of a glimpse of the harbour in the distance.

Location. I still prefer somewhere like Wan Chai. Wan Chai is easy to get to with a taxi, and was actually cheaper to get to than mid-levels from the Hong Kong Express station. Also the tram runs from Wan Chai which takes about the same time as the escalator from Central to mid-levels. Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel in future unless it was the last one left in its price category.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank WGee
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Beware of this hotel. We reserved a room, then had to cancel. We cancelled in plenty of time. But they refused to accept the email cancelling the reservation. In their reservation confirmation, they had some vague instructions about how to cancel--but the instructions made it impossible to know what they meant. As a result, they extorted over a $100.00 from us.

Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family