“Great location, close to train station and shops”

Silka Seaview Hotel
Ranked #187 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed here on a trip with the whole family. We booked 5 rooms. No problems with the late check in, since our flight arrived close to 9pm in HK. Check in was quick, the front desk staff was very efficient, considering that there was also a big tour group checking in at the same time. At the time we stayed, they were having some renovations in the lobby area. The elevators were tiny, it took several trips to bring our party to the rooms, since only 3-4 people would fit, along with the luggage. The rooms were small as well, but the walls effectively dampened the noise inside the rooms (so we didn't have to worry about our banging and crashing disturbing the people in the other rooms). The bathroom was small, but had a separate shower stall (not shower over toilet). One thing: the outlets were a different shape and we couldn't plug our gadgets, but the front desk let us borrow an adaptor (you can also buy one from the shops on Nathan Rd, if you want your own). One of the bedside lamps did not work in our room, but we didn't go to HK to read in the room anyway.

I had to pay for wifi, but I got a high speed connection (charged by the hour). There was free wifi access at the breakfast area. Good enough for checking emails using my phone.

Location-wise, it is close to everything. There is a nearby money changer, a 7-11 and it was a couple of blocks away from Nathan Rd. There is also a McDonalds and a grocery store about a block away.

We spent most of our time outside the hotel, and only crashed after our tour, so the accomodations suited our needs. Not that fancy, but able to provide a decent bed to sleep in. All in all it was an ok stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank chuvalooh

Reviewed 13 March 2012

This is my second stay at Silka. The last time I stayed there in 2010, it was operating under the name of "Dorsett Seaview". I like this hotel given its value for money. I have relatives in HK so I visit HK frequently.

In the Yaumatei/Jordan area, Silka has got to be the best in terms of price/value ratio. Value being defined as "newness", location and service quality.

It's located not far from the Eaton Hotel. The area, while old and traditional, is not seedy at all. I would describe it as "authentic". If you don't like it, walk for half a minute straight and you will reach the famous Nathan road where you will get everything you need as a tourist.

I have seen reviews complaining about the staff's poor attitude but I can't understand how this actually happened. On both occasions, I was treated kindly and politely. The lobby manager (the one in black suit) who normally stands right next to the concierge desk is the only person who is the least forthcoming and smiley when approached. Otherwise, everyone is great.

I paid approximately HK$650 per night for a deluxe room and stayed 3 nights. This time, I was lucky; the front desk staff gave me a corner room which is spacious (relative to the standard room I was in the last time).

Since changing to the Silka brand, the hotel was slightly redesigned, making it look even more upmarket than before.

The Casa hotel on the main street is priced at the same level but the lobby is much smaller, the rooms much smaller (especially the shower) and the staff not as friendly.

Oh there's one other thing that the hotel needs to look into - while the hotel room was nicely cleaned and made up during my stay; the cups in the bathroom were dirty, with smudges and finger prints clearly visible. It could be due to high occupancy rate at the time. I gave the feedback to the front desk upon check-out and they said they would look into this.

On this trip, I stayed at two other hotels - Harbour Grand Hong Kong (North Point) and Anne Black. Do check out my reviews if you are planning on visiting HK soon :-)

Room Tip: There is a very famous "HK-styled restaurant" just right next to the Silka hotel - it'...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank VictoriaSommers
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Great location just around the corner from the Temple Street Markets and sidewalk cafes. The proximity to Nathan Road is another plus. It's not far from the Yau Ma Tei MRT station. Getting around is not a problem as the MRT is quite efficient and reliable.

The rooms themselves were clean and the staff did a good job of keeping them tidy. But don't be surprised at the size of the room as they are extremely small and with your luggage there's barely enough room to move around. As for the bathrooms, 1 step in each direction is all it takes to fit in toilet, shower and hand basin. If you can handle the cramped conditions and just use it as a place to put your head down after a hectic day of sightseeing/ shopping then you should survive.

We had asked for a non smoking room but they put us on a smoking floor, although we didn't bother to change our room as we were just there to leave our bags and sleep the smell is a bit strong as you disembark the elevator.

Didn't have any meals here as the dining room is not that big as well as there are a plethora of sidewalk restaurants, cafes and Fastfood Outlets to choose from on Nathan Road and the surrounding side streets.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Noworriesimfijian
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Got 3 rooms for my trip which were super compact, barely have enough space for our luggage and we keep tripping over it. But I don't really mind as I know most hotels in Hong Kong have small rooms with high rates. Only ventilation problem as rooms are small and windows are sealed. However, rooms are very clean (my top priority).

Reception staff need to improve service. Never greet, never smile at all!

First time locating the hotel was quite hard. Area are full of cluttered buildings. But once we found and got used to the place, it is convenient.

Found the nearest halal food 2 mtr station away.

Room Tip: Tip to locate the hotel: From the Yau Ma Tei MTR exit, turn right and walk ard 2 mins, turn right ag...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Mistikal_73
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Silka Seaview is a small hotel situated in the middle of downtown Kowloon. The reception area doesn’t give much space for people and their luggage if groups would check in. There are two small elevators to the left. It might take some time to ride an elevator during “rush hours” such as early mornings when everyone rushes to go somewhere. The corridors, rooms and bathrooms are also very small but clean. I can’t imagine how someone above 6 feet tall could take a shower or fit on the bed. The amenities are adequate and regularly replaced. There is a small desk on the corner, a refrigerator, an electric kettle, and hangers for your clothes, but no closet. We decided to push the bed to the side to maximize our room space. The only major drawback is that WiFi is paid. You may opt to buy a PCCW 24-hour internet access for 20 HKD at a 7/11 nearby. You can use that to connect to PCCW hotspots in all 7/11 and Starbucks in HK.

The hotel is near a 7/11, McDonald’s and a Wellcome grocery. Nathan Road is just behind the hotel with the Yau Ma Tei station of the MTR just a 5 minute walk away. If you’re a bit adventurous, you may make a right on Nathan Road and walk to Harbour City for around 20 minutes. It’s hard to get lost since there are signs everywhere. If you’re looking for a place to stay in HK that’s clean, conveniently located, and not too expensive, then I would suggest this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank engdv
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I went to Hong Kong quite a number of times. Last year, my primary school buddies decided to go Hong Kong together and since I have been there quite a number of times, I took the responsibility to do the itinerary and all the arrangements.
We have browsed through a lot of hotels with good price in all sort of resources and to no choice, we picked up Silka Seaview, which is formerly known as Dorsett Seaview.
My friends stayed there before, so they knew that the room is very small but the location is excellent. It's very near to Yaumatei MTR station and Temple Street at the back.
There are 10 of us, so, we booked 5 rooms for 3 nights. We checked in and got the keys and proceed to go to our rooms. The lobby is relatively small, and the lift can only squeeze in few people. I don't expect a big hotel room in HK because of the limited space available plus the expensive property price. Once I entered the room, it has been just renovated and it's very small. It's even smaller to the one that I stayed in Tokyo. Luckily they fully utilized the space which is available and really can only squeeze in for 2 persons.
The shower area and the toilet is small, really small but I like the cleanliness and the new design.
As we traveled in group, as all the friends came in to the room for chit chat, there were no place sit. We have no choice but to sit on the bed. The size of the room can be a little bigger to make us more comfortable.
On the good site: good location, nice design, and shuttle service to HK Airport Transit.
The setback: the price is relatively high with the size of the room.

Overall, it's average.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Small rooms, small lobby (if at all you could call it that!), no bell service. Getting to the lift is like queueing at the MTR.

On the good side, night market is just a 2-minute walk, MTR and convenience stores, 5-mins.

Hong Kong is unbelievably expensive!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family