“Spend Your Money At Other Better Hotels”

Ranked #16 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Bangkok, Thailand
“Spend Your Money At Other Better Hotels”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Firstly up, i have to admit that the two nights I just spent here was cos' I was crashing with m,y friend who was in town on a week-long business trip, so this review is purely based on the interaction I have with the room, housekeeping and selected staff when I was in and out. But that said, I had previously stayed at many HK hotels as a guest so I believe my review of the hardware is justifiable as well.

The hotel is definitely a dated one. In short, if you are paying for this yourself, do yourself a favour and stay at other places in HK. The location is not ultra convenient as it is a fair walk to any public transport, except for the star ferry, and there are many options at this same price level that will offer you a better choice with better service and more spacious rooms.

Room size was not as spacious as other newer properties such as W, and the marbled bathroom with gold fixtures definitely tells you which this building came from. The bed was comfortable though, and the pillows were also firm and comfy. Being an older property, the electrical switches does not boosts those modern touch panel system by one's bed, so you still have to to the manuel switching yourself. The curtains are also those that you have to pull the strings by the sides kind, but the wooden earthy colors and tones of the rooms are comforting, and a striking contrast to the bathroom.

Amenities includes Harney & Sons tea bags with a nice thermos flask to supply constant hot water. Bathroom amenities are plentiful and you can also call housekeeping to bring you other stuffs like hand cream, hair spray and lint roller amongst others. This is also the first hotel I hgad ever stayed in that gives a metallic can of foaming shaving foam bottle with the shaving kit, compared to those plastic tubes one gets elsewhere.

Staff at the lobby and around the hotel is curt and one morning during breakfast, they were not really paying attention to who left the tables and placed me at a table whom they thought the previous diner had left. I came back and saw a lady there and gestured to the wait stuff that I'll take another place, but had to walk to her after 5 minutes to tell her to set my table, and bring me the coffee that was told to her when I was at first seated at the first table wrongly given to me. And the restaurant was not even half filled and there were at least 7 to 8 staff tending the 13 to 15 tables there. This patchy service was noticed throughout the hotel even at the steakhouse when the receptionist was annoyed that I had walked in at 8pm asking for a table. She scoffed at me without an apology or any words like "I'm sorry but the pl;ace is full without a reservation" and just went to say "There are no seats". But when I told her that I can wait and give me a call at the room, her attitude changed 180 realizing that I actually stayed at the property. She actually said "Certainly sir, I'll call your room when a table is available at around 9pm" Amazing that she can get a time to me so immediately too...

This is a great business hotel and nothing more. For tourists, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GeraldSingapore
gladisyoung, Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear GeraldSingapore

Greetings. Appreciate your time in share your stay experience with us. Regret to learn about your disappointments with the hotel. We have already feedback your comments to the team and shall ensure they pay extra attention during service. We hope that you will still consider to stay with us on your next visit. Please may I request that you write to me directly at gladis.young@hyatt.com with your registered name for the stay?

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I was booked into Hyatt for my business trip to Hong Kong. It met all my requirements - convenience, professional staff, good service, nice food - all of this made it a fabulous experience. I enjoyed my stay and if I get an opportunity I would do it again.

Room Tip: Make a budget and know what do you want to get
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
gladisyoung, Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear brijkagarwal

Greetings. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We are thankful for your positive comments. Hope that you will also return for leisure for a different experience. It will be our pleasure to have your as our guest again.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 10 January 2014

What can I say. It's not cheap but the location is of course very convenient and the hotel is very nice. Very professional staff, good service, good food. My husband was here for business and I joined him for a weekend break afterwards. I really liked our stay there. It's a good hotel for business, pleasure and also with kids. They have a beautiful pool and enormous play area!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear CorinaM

Greetings! Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We truly appreciate your support. Happy to learn that you and your children had an enjoyable stay. It would be our pleasure to welcoming you back again soon.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I agreed this was probably the best hotel stay we've ever experienced.

We were able to visit as Diamond members, and the staff was incredibly polite, helpful, and wonderful. We were in a newly-renovated room with a view of the harbor and it was absolutely fantastic. Everything about it was awesome. The view, the furniture, the sinfully comfortable bed, the bathroom, the fast wifi, the bath amenities....just lovely. Small things like the tea, the slippers, soft robes, and the ability to request extra items like dumbbells, nail polish remover, and an Apple TV were so convenient.

The lounge was great as well, with servers always quick to help us with a drink. The evening hors d'oeuvres were great. Tip: if you are Diamond, I would recommend eating breakfast downstairs near the lobby as it is better than in the lounge.

I can't say enough about this lovely hotel and the great staff. Thanks for a very memorable stay that we'll remember for a very long time.

Room Tip: If you have Diamond status, eat breakfast in the restaurant near the lobby as it is better than in t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear uberkelly

Greetings! Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We are grateful for your compliments. Delighted to learn that you have enjoyed our new rooms which we are looking forward to launching more this year. Thank you for choosing to stay with Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We arrived very early in the hotel with our kids and could go in our room. So that was our first good point. We asked for upgrading to bigger room. Hotel offered a smoke room - not great- but staff said really good view and would make the air fresh. Well, that was 100% true. Amazing view, fireworks in front of our room and the smoke smell was gone. Amazing.
With 2 small kids, is just what you want.
Desk was very helpful, found out all sorts of information about trips. When best to take taxi or train etc. Location is great. 5 min walk to the ferry / 10 min to busy streets.
Fantastic playground where small kids can go loose for a moment - very clean. Swimming pool big and very clean and if you like to stretch your legs for a minute - next to lobby is a garden/park where they do tai chi in the morning (with swords...what more do you want?)
Great restaurant; the grill - outside!! Italian restaurant ok.

One down side; we had executive room so we have a bit of a space where we can relax and have a drink in the late afternoon. Well, this with lots of others had this idea and the hotel could simply not provide enough seats in this executive area. We had to go down stairs for breakfast twice - going for drinks in the late afternoon was crazy and the lines got longer and people very frustrated. The staff was very nice and kept their smiley faces but that was very unprofessional especially since you pay extra for the room and service. I hope this is only due to this time in the year...

One more note about location (which was confusing to us); the grand Hyatt hotel is on the new side and is more calming then the mainland side. We were very happy with this side of Honk Kong. You can walk everywhere, safe and no crazy traffic - really nice with kids. And lots of restaurants as well - hop on of bus/ trams etc.

We will go back!!!

Room Tip: Room 2817 has 2 big windows - water front view - smoking room which is a shame so maybe you can get...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bigwideworld4
gladisyoung, Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear discoverbangkok

Greetings. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. Happy to know that you and your family have enjoyed the stay and the fireworks.

Regret to learn that you have found not enough seats in the room. Please would you like to write me direct at gladis.young@hyatt.com to provide your registered name so that we can remark that you would like an additional chair in your room. Our Housekeeping department will be more than pleased to prepare that for your in the next visit. Otherwise you can simply contact the Housekeeping after check in to request for an extra chair.

We thank you again for choosing to stay with Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. Look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

we walked into lobby and it wasnt like our expectation ... it just look like normal hotel, not the luxurious 5* hotel ... surprised us that they dont have any packages for new year eve and lobby bar, and room was average, stains everywhere, even we upgraded to the best one which face to harbour. Well it was not so bad because we had really romantic time, we were counted down from our room and can enjoy the fireworks for 8 minutes. It was great time to cover hotel condition ...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
gladisyoung, Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Rabbit C

Greetings. Thank you for choosing to stay wth Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. Happy to know that you have enjoyed the countdown fireworks. Kindly note that our guestrooms renovation is now in progress. Hope that you can stay in one of our newly designed rooms on your return for a refreshsed experience. It would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again.

Wishing you a wonderful 2014.

Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Hong Kong Grand Hyatt Dec 30 thru Jan 2 as we returned from a diving vacation in the Philippines. From the time they greeted us as we deplaned, to the point the Hyatt dropped off at the airport for our departure, the service level can only be described as impeccable. We arranged for the Hyatt car service to pick us up upon arrival as we were arriving late. We were greeted as we deplaned, escorted through immigration, helped with securing our luggage and in the car within 30 minutes of arriving. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were escorted directly to our room on the 30th floor club level where we were checked in as our bags were delivered. The club level lounge offered a fantastic breakfast and great evening canapés with an amazing view of Victoria harbor and the Kowloon skyline. Staff was friendly, attentive and always available to help. The location was great, a few minutes to central by cab and close to the ferry terminals. This was our first time in Hong Kong and we thought it would be a nice place to spend New Years Eve on our way home. The Grand Hyatt was the perfect place to stay, the service was second to none and view from our room was amazing. We can’t wait to return

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear global_traveler67

Greetings. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. Delighted to know that you have an enjoyable start of the year. We truly appreciate your compliments and will share it iwith the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wishing you a wonderful 2014.

Director of Markeitng Communications