“Cheap but nasty”

Ranked #212 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney
“Cheap but nasty”
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I had stayed here previously in 2007 and decided to give it another shot given a satisfactory experience last time I was in Hong Kong. The price was also about 30% cheaper than other hotels during the busy Super 7's weekend in Hong Kong - big mistake!!!

Firstly the good things:
1. It was cheaper than most hotels in Hong Kong
2. Hotel was fairly clean and newish looking

Now onto the bad things:
1. If you want a good night sleep don't stay here: the beds are ROCK HARD (like sleeping on wood) and are too short - I'm an average 6 foot guy and my feet did not fit onto the bed. My room was also next to the central air conditioning room which made a constant irritating hum all night. Because the all the non-smoking rooms are situated next to a smoking room (like odds and evens), when people smoke outside their room my room would fill with cigarette smoke!
2. The service was terrible - I asked for an extra blanket as it was too cold they asked for a non-refundable $100Hk payment for it! I asked a heater and they asked for $300HK deposit! Room service never placed any teabags into my room even though all my friends got it
3. no wireless internet reception in rooms, had to go out to the main hallway to get reception
4. TV reception was terrible. had nothing to do all night and this hotel is in the middle of no-where. The only thing opened nearby was the 7-Elevens.
5. This place is popular with the China tour groups, who love to wake up at 6am every morning and talk loudly in the hallways. GO TO SLEEP PEOPLE!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simon_Reeves34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
Metro Manila
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I liked the friendly service and the free use of PC with Internet in the lobby. Decent and clean room, with standard amenities. Mostly residential neighborhood , near nice Belcher Park and small shops selling traditional medicine. Gave a taste of the local life. I appreciated how the staff helped me, at 3 a.m., find a taxi to take me to the nearest Airport Bus stop so I could catch my flight. She spoke with the taxi driver, who wasn't familiar with the destination, and told me how much I'd pay. The hotel is actually located across an Airport Bus stop itself, but the airport bus I needed to take was at another stop.

• Stayed December 2009
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 January 2009

The hotel is mildly average. The rooms seem a little faded and the beds are terribly hard. I found flushing the toilet incredibly hard and a little strange, as we had to wait 20 minutes before we were able to flush. Still, there were some good things. There was internet in the lobby and check-in was fast. It's quite a small hotel. If you want to come to Hong Kong, I would recommend staying in Kowloon or in the city of Hong Kong to feel the magic of HK. Unfortunately, the hotel wasn't in the magic of Hong Kong. I would recommend this hotel for people stopping by in HK or budget travelers.

• Liked — Incredibly Cheap, Room Size, Service, Internet
  • Disliked — About everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank arthursiew
Vancouver
Reviewed 15 May 2008

A nice, clean, relatively small hotel, and great for budget watchers. Not centrally located, but streetcar (tram) stops right out in front, and from there it's only 10 minutes or so to MTR (subway/rapid transit). Free internet access in the lobby is a plus. Rooms, at least those in the back, are pretty quiet.

• Liked — Care-free
  • Disliked — Walls between rooms seem a little thin (i.e., if they're noisy in the next room, you'll know it
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank admybf
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2008

The Cosco is a good standard, good value hotel in the western side of HK island. You can reach the centre, LKF and everywhere else quite easily on the tram for 12 pence (2 HK dollars), which takes about 10 minutes or so.
They haven't replaced the door handles and the wardrobe door had come off, but really it was clean and professional.
The toilet did not flush (I lifted the top off and did this myself), but two engineers were on site and there in minutes, very helpful.
Nice firm beds, and free internet.
This is the best value hotel I found anywhere in HK (I stayed in 4 while I was there for 17 days) and I would try to book this first when I return. Followed by the Jen and Pacific Island.

• Stayed March 2008
2 Thank MrCheapAsia
Central London
Reviewed 4 April 2007

I would like to to say that I had a fantastic week in Hong Kong with the aid of a Rough Guide to Hong Kong,
A really good value for money flight with Oasis Hong Kong Airlines (see web-site and links for Hotels) The airline couldn't do enough for me and upgraded me on the return flight. The economy was confortable and the the red hot deal fare at £75 each way excluding taxes was a real bargain.

I found Cosco Hotel , Kennedy Town on the web-links, which was £190 for 7 nights. It was a pleasant hotel only 20 mins by tram from central, therefore very conveniently situated. The room and bathroom were clean and confortable and the whole hotel was nicely decorated.

The only negative was the bed was very hard!
I would really recommend this airline and hotel if you are considering a trip to Hong Kong and don't want to spend loads of money.

TOP TIP Buy yourself an Octopus Travel card at the airport , which gives you dicounted travel on Trams, buses, tubes, trains & Ferries.

> Rating 4 - 5