“One of the best hotels”

InterContinental Grand Stanford
Ranked #24 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
“One of the best hotels”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Rhis is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. A fully equipped very well managed property. Staff was always great in our entire stay of 3 days. The harbour view rooms were awesome and hygiene was amazing. I am actually having no words how to describe the comfortable experience we had.
Location is apt as the area around is full of shopping arcades and the hotel is placed very near to harbour city mall.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
John_W_Drummond, Manager at InterContinental Grand Stanford, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear anubhavmpm,

Thank you for taking time to write your review on tripadvisor.com.

We are humbled to read from your review that you found us to be one of the best hotels that you ever stayed at.

Your very kind acknowledgement of the fantastic harbour view and the service of our team is much appreciated, We strive to deliver the highest standards of customer service to all our guests and it is always rewarding to receive such praise.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Hong Kong. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

John_drummond@interconti.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here twice previously in recent years and I must say that they have maintained their high standards!
Booked via Agoda and check-in was a breeze.
The convenient location and large rooms (by HK standards) were a plus point
Staff were always pleasant and accommodating.Hard to find these days
As usual,the breakfast spread was great
We'll definitely stay here on our future trips to HK

Room Tip: Free wifi for club members (joining is free)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear peteMALAYSIA,

Thank you for taking time to write your review on tripadvisor.com.

As our regular guest, we are happy to read from your comments that you had once again enjoyed your holiday at the InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong.

Your very kind acknowledgement of us maintaining high standards and the service of our team is much appreciated, We strive to deliver the highest standards of customer service to all our guests and it is always rewarding to receive such praise.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 July 2014

While I admit that I made the mistake of thinking I was reserving with the 'other' InterContinental on the water, you do make it clear that your hotel is a five star rating on all your promotional material. So that when I realized I had booked at the Grand Stanford InterContinental and not THE InterContinental I thought we would be 'okay' as we were still on the way to a five star hotel.
How wrong I was!

On arrival all seemed well, albeit the hotel lobby feels a bit dark and cramped and the strip lighting on the balcony of the mezzanine frankly maudlin, we checked into our room with a cheery front desk person receiving us and upgrading us to a full sea view. Great! Thanks! So far so fantastic!

The large room with the view was welcoming... until we saw we approached the window itself to discover were actually on the highway. Okay, okay, it's Hong Kong and your hotel is located where it is, nothing you can do about that. But it was a disappointment.

From there I wanted a soak in the tub. This is where I first began to question what makes a five star a five star... no bathtub? Really? Don't ALL five star hotels have them? Apparently not!

Well, I thought, we can go dip in the luxurious pool, which undoubtedly has a Jacuzzi and I can have a steam in the steam room. That will be my relaxation for the day.

What I found was: a strange walk past the back staff elevators complete with view on the huge laundry baskets full of dirty laundry, up a strange narrow hallway stairway reminiscent of a tenement roof access complete with tacky wallpaper. The seams showing between each shiny neon blue panel screamed 'trashy' loud and clear. "Are they in renovation? Is this why we have to walk through the service entrance to get up here", I thought.
“I'm sure it will be gorgeous once up there…”
Well, I was wrong. The pool is a postage stamp of a space with prison like walls all around that barely show a peek of the buildings. Not my idea of a lay about in luxury.

No worries I thought. I'll sit in the Jacuzzi. Nope. No Jacuzzi. Okay then, I'll go take my steam/sauna. No, sorry, only steam/sauna for men. Huh????

Okay, that is it - my rant is over. Your beds were soft and the buffet was excellent. Even though we had to sit out in the lounge area. Really there is not enough nice looking seating in your space, unless of course you like sitting in the Star Trek deck. But I digress.

What I am trying to say is that I was very disappointed. I thought I was going to a five star hotel. I was wrong. If I KNEW I was going to a 3.5 star hotel I would have nothing to say. In fact, my husband and I had a great time. But all in all it is not fair to promote your image as a five star hotel and then trash that image with your presentation. I hear you are renovating the top floors. Perhaps you can incorporate the idea of five-star-ness and create rooms with bathtubs, a nice entrance way to a pool that, while perhaps not large could include a Jacuzzi deck, changing rooms on another floor for women that have sauna/steam and for the love of God some landscaping to hide the fact that your hotel is in a concrete jungle.

Thanks for listening.

Room Tip: Ask to take consideration of floors with renovation going on.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elissaro,

Thank you for taking time to write your review on tripadvisor.com.

I understand that Mr. Davis has been in touch and I look forward to meeting with you when you are in the hotel.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 6 nights in June. Overall the hotel was clean and is in a good location close to TST station and within walking distance to main shopping strip. We had a harbour view room with great views across the harbour. With the hotel located on a main busy road you can hear the traffic below, noticeably at night when you are trying to sleep. Also be aware of the tours being offered by the hotel tour desk as we found out a very similar tour by another company was half the price quoted by the hotel tour desk

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Itterom67
Dear by Itterom67,

Thank you for taking time to write your review on tripadvisor.com.

We are happy to hear that you and your wife found the hotel to be clean and well situated, we are also glad you both enjoyed the view.

I am sorry you found that our tours were higher priced than that of outside the hotel, however we are very careful of the types of tours we offer as well as the staffing and logistics we offer, ensuring that guest experience is that of a 5 star offering.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you both back again on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hotel is modern and renovation is still going on. Food is very nice. Wide variety of food items are available during buffet breakfast. Hotel rooms are very good. Swimming pool is small and it needs an upgrade. It should be bigger and better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ravi M
John_W_Drummond, Manager at InterContinental Grand Stanford, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Ravi M,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Grand Stanford as your hotel of choice while in Hong Kong and for taking the time to share your feedback with us and the rest of the online community.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the Breakfast and Rooms to your liking, for our swimming pool we thank you for the recommendation and are planning this soon.

Here at the hotel we hope you will return as look forward to welcoming you back. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed in March 2014 for a business training at the hotel.

My room was very cosy. Check-in was a breeze. Everybody seemed pleasant. Upon entering my room, a fruit platter was waiting with fresh tropical fruits.

I ate at the Cafe on M, and the food was excellent. They even serve halal indian food. Thumbs up for that!!! And they had snow crabs!!

Conference room and facilities were excellent too.

Although you have to walk about 5 minutes to the nearest station, cabs are plentiful. Also, it is not very close to the Tshim Sha Tsui happening street, you could walk but the streets are quite busy. However, the Avenue of Stars is just behind the hotel, where I think it's prettier at night.

Overall, great hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear zafinamz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We know that you would have been very busy during your meetings and appreciate you taking time to highlight to us that you found your room to be very cosy, with Check-in efficient.

We also appreciate and are happy we were able to serve halal indian food during your stay.

We hope you will return as look forward to welcoming you back. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

Itunesjamie
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is well positioned to explore Kowloon area. The hotel was undergoing refurbishment which the reception informed me, but my travel booking company did not. The reception staff gave me a room with a great view of Hong Kong from my room window. The room was tired, but as stated the hotel was undergoing a refurbishment , so unfair to complain. I was able connect with a great jogging track across from the hotel along the shoreline of Kowloon. The wifi was not free , but was good, breakfast was excellent, though reception area could do with checking the AC's as it was very humid in this area, compared to other hotels in the area which had better AC in the reception area. Overall it was good location and clean.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Itunesjamie
Dear Itunesjamie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are delighted to know that you found your stay enjoyable and enjoyed the jogging area, I thank you for highlighting the lobby temperature we are currently looking at solutions to improve this.