“Very, very good”

Ranked #24 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very, very good”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We arrived and were immediately upgraded from a side harbour to full harbour view room. The view was incredible and the quality of the room was great. The bathroom in particular was really high quality with a very good shower. No bath, but not an issue for us.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Always someone there to greet you and open the doors, and helpful with getting taxis etc.

Breakfast is a really high standard but unnecessarily expensive. We only had breakfast there once - if you go out the front door and turn left, in the next building you come to there is a restaurant that does really nice breakfast for 1/3 of the price - thing it was called Westside?

Location is good. The main Intercontinental is a better location but was a lot more expensive when we travelled.

Room Tip: Harbour view - it's the main selling point of this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jarbon
John_W_Drummond, Manager at InterContinental Grand Stanford, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Jarbon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor following your recent holiday in Hong Kong.

We are glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we are sorry that you found our breakfast pricing not to your liking.

Here at the hotel we hope you will return as look forward to welcoming you back. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

John_drummond@interconti.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lindenfels, Germany
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I really had a challenge: 10 members of my family going on a cruise: small kids and mobility-reduced seniors. So I need special solutions to get them from the airport and later to the ship. I was so glad to have contact with the Concierge and I was really surprised that it was not so expensive than I would expected and so even off the hotel we had a great service. Only disadvantage: there are two IC Hotels in Hong Kong and there are two arrival halls at the airport. And one hotel is in this hall and the other in the other and so we need to walk to the other one. We were escorted to the bus terminal and our bus took us to our hotel without stopping by - without any further transfers. And for really a little more than 10 tickets with the hotel bus shuttle. Our bags went from the airport right to the Bell Captain. The reception was wonderful. As they knew that we arrived after a long-haul flight and all we want was some sleep and a shower they prepared everything for us and all we need to do to presenting the credit card and sign. As Ambassador we got a great room with a wonderful harbour view. Then we got another problem: the breakfast buffet was so good that we really had problems with our following stays in restaurant. I want this restaurant back - everywhere with the same wide variation and the quality and taste. Again thanks to the Concierge for arranging everything for us which made a perfect stay in the hotel to a most perfect stay in Hong Kong.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear HeinBloed,

Thank you for taking time to write your review on tripadvisor.com.

While reading your review it brought a smile to my face as it did to the team when sharing it, you’re kind review on our Concierge arrangements is appreciated as is your kind acknowledgement of the harbour view and the Café on M where we serve our breakfast buffet, we are so pleased that you and your family had a great experience.

I thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you all back again on your next visit to Hong Kong. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked this hotel by mistake - thinking I was booking the intercontinental - also in Kowloon. The hotel was everything you would expect from the hotel. Clean, tidy, with decent sized rooms. My main disappointment was it is a bit away from the action of Kowloon. Ie a decent walk to the ferry to the island as well as the shopping areas. So don't get this hotel confused
Ike i did with the more conveniently situated normal intercontinental.
The staff are always helpful, there is a free hotel shuttle bus to the key points in Kowloon so its fairly easy to get around.

There is a great gym and rooftop swimming pool.

Room Tip: One thing missing from my room i would generally expect in a hotel like this was a bath tub. So perh...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Leanne S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay experience with us.

We are sorry that you had booked the wrong hotel, however pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I thank you for your feedback and hope that you will stay with us again, if I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Reception staff were efficient and quite polite, previous reviews had me on my guard but I think the staff's attitudes were ok. The only staff who I think were a bit off for a hotel of this calibre were the poolside staff, it wasn't busy at the pool but the guys didn't seem in too much of a hurry to take my order. One of them didn't seem to like the sun so did his best to stay in the shade most of the time.

The room was nice with a big comfy bed and a nice powerful shower. The view of the harbour was relaxing as I sat and watched the ships go by.

The location is nice for Kowloon, easy access to the shopping and dining of the district, and practically on the promenade for nice walks and runs if you desire.

Stayed July 2014
Dear pdavil,

We are delighted to see that during your stay you found our Reception staff efficient and polite. I appreciate your feedback on the pool staff and assure you this has been addressed, on future visits you will have a different experience.

I thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Hong Kong. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Rhis is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. A fully equipped very well managed property. Staff was always great in our entire stay of 3 days. The harbour view rooms were awesome and hygiene was amazing. I am actually having no words how to describe the comfortable experience we had.
Location is apt as the area around is full of shopping arcades and the hotel is placed very near to harbour city mall.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear anubhavmpm,

Thank you for taking time to write your review on tripadvisor.com.

We are humbled to read from your review that you found us to be one of the best hotels that you ever stayed at.

Your very kind acknowledgement of the fantastic harbour view and the service of our team is much appreciated, We strive to deliver the highest standards of customer service to all our guests and it is always rewarding to receive such praise.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Hong Kong. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here twice previously in recent years and I must say that they have maintained their high standards!
Booked via Agoda and check-in was a breeze.
The convenient location and large rooms (by HK standards) were a plus point
Staff were always pleasant and accommodating.Hard to find these days
As usual,the breakfast spread was great
We'll definitely stay here on our future trips to HK

Room Tip: Free wifi for club members (joining is free)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear peteMALAYSIA,

Thank you for taking time to write your review on tripadvisor.com.

As our regular guest, we are happy to read from your comments that you had once again enjoyed your holiday at the InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong.

Your very kind acknowledgement of us maintaining high standards and the service of our team is much appreciated, We strive to deliver the highest standards of customer service to all our guests and it is always rewarding to receive such praise.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 July 2014

While I admit that I made the mistake of thinking I was reserving with the 'other' InterContinental on the water, you do make it clear that your hotel is a five star rating on all your promotional material. So that when I realized I had booked at the Grand Stanford InterContinental and not THE InterContinental I thought we would be 'okay' as we were still on the way to a five star hotel.
How wrong I was!

On arrival all seemed well, albeit the hotel lobby feels a bit dark and cramped and the strip lighting on the balcony of the mezzanine frankly maudlin, we checked into our room with a cheery front desk person receiving us and upgrading us to a full sea view. Great! Thanks! So far so fantastic!

The large room with the view was welcoming... until we saw we approached the window itself to discover were actually on the highway. Okay, okay, it's Hong Kong and your hotel is located where it is, nothing you can do about that. But it was a disappointment.

From there I wanted a soak in the tub. This is where I first began to question what makes a five star a five star... no bathtub? Really? Don't ALL five star hotels have them? Apparently not!

Well, I thought, we can go dip in the luxurious pool, which undoubtedly has a Jacuzzi and I can have a steam in the steam room. That will be my relaxation for the day.

What I found was: a strange walk past the back staff elevators complete with view on the huge laundry baskets full of dirty laundry, up a strange narrow hallway stairway reminiscent of a tenement roof access complete with tacky wallpaper. The seams showing between each shiny neon blue panel screamed 'trashy' loud and clear. "Are they in renovation? Is this why we have to walk through the service entrance to get up here", I thought.
“I'm sure it will be gorgeous once up there…”
Well, I was wrong. The pool is a postage stamp of a space with prison like walls all around that barely show a peek of the buildings. Not my idea of a lay about in luxury.

No worries I thought. I'll sit in the Jacuzzi. Nope. No Jacuzzi. Okay then, I'll go take my steam/sauna. No, sorry, only steam/sauna for men. Huh????

Okay, that is it - my rant is over. Your beds were soft and the buffet was excellent. Even though we had to sit out in the lounge area. Really there is not enough nice looking seating in your space, unless of course you like sitting in the Star Trek deck. But I digress.

What I am trying to say is that I was very disappointed. I thought I was going to a five star hotel. I was wrong. If I KNEW I was going to a 3.5 star hotel I would have nothing to say. In fact, my husband and I had a great time. But all in all it is not fair to promote your image as a five star hotel and then trash that image with your presentation. I hear you are renovating the top floors. Perhaps you can incorporate the idea of five-star-ness and create rooms with bathtubs, a nice entrance way to a pool that, while perhaps not large could include a Jacuzzi deck, changing rooms on another floor for women that have sauna/steam and for the love of God some landscaping to hide the fact that your hotel is in a concrete jungle.

Thanks for listening.

Room Tip: Ask to take consideration of floors with renovation going on.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elissaro,

Thank you for taking time to write your review on tripadvisor.com.

I understand that Mr. Davis has been in touch and I look forward to meeting with you when you are in the hotel.