“Great value!”

InterContinental Grand Stanford
Ranked #23 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 February 2009

After testing many mid to high priced hotels in Hong Kong I have found IC Grand Stanford to be one of the best value. At times it can be had for a price of Holiday Inn Golden Mile - and it is a far superior hotel.

Location is bit far from Nathan Road and underground but it makes it up to be very quite. There is also some good restaurants nearby.

Staff have been always nice and friendly - at least compare to European standards. Gym and pool area are fine, maybe bit small.

For sure there are better hotels in Hong Kong but most of the time they are much more expensive. If the price is 50 % or less from a price of other IC or Penisula or similar and you do not need ultimate luxury this could be your choice.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Tl73
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Grand Stanford

Reviewed 22 January 2009

The hotel is a standard business hotel, slightly disappointing as I had expected higher standards of a sister hotel of the famed Intercontinental Hong Kong down the road. The lobby is quite small and doesn't have any hint of a sea view. The rooms are smallish with a normal bathroom with tub-shower combination. We had booked the base "Garden View" room which I didn't realize actually looked on to an interior courtyard with some kind of garden, and a wall on the other side. Which means you don't get to see the city or anything. At least this area has a skylight so you know if it's day or night!
Other than this weird aspect, the room was pretty standard. Internet was expensive at 60 HKD/hr or 120/day. The Tsim Sha Tsui subway and Nathan Road are a good 10 min walk, and the Star Ferry is 20 mins away, but it is a pleasant walk along the TST promenade or along a bunch of nice restaurants and cafes along the road. We stayed on a room-only rate, so we ended up having breakfast at the Delifrance a block away. It is a good area and I'd rather stay there than bang on Nathan Road, but a better view would have made all the difference. Considering the hotel was quite empty (Chinese New Year period), I would have expected them to heed my complaint on the view and at least upgrade me to a city view room!
I was considering the slightly cheaper Renaissance Kowloon as an alternative to this hotel, and I went for this because that hotel had only twin rooms and I wanted a king. I will probably try that hotel the next time, as it is better located (right on the Avenue of Stars) and had a nice mall attached to it, and is closer to the MRT and the Star Ferry.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sankar
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Very nice hotel that is maintained well and has great views. I would have given this hotel a 4 or 5 if it had not been for the concierge.

This hotel is in a tourist area which means the concierge is very important. During my stay I never received good information or clear direction from the concierge. There was a big red bus outside the hotel. iIasked the Concierge if this bus had english tours or recordings. he said that it only had Japanese. He then sent me over to the tour desk which told me the same thing. Later I stopped by the big red bus and they definitely have english tours/recordings. The tour desk also is run by an outside company (inidcated by a very small sign). The concierge fed me this bull so i would use the in house tour desk. I don't like being lied to by the concierge. i then asked for restaurant suggestions later that day and was told to the restaurant next to the hotel. I gave up trying to find the place when there was nothing next to the hotel. Management needs to reevaluate the concierge desk.

Also, don't bother going to the mens spa in the basement of the hotel. It is a strange experience and not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank MPS_PHL
Reviewed 28 December 2008

Ive just returned from a HK holiday and had booked this hotel primarily as got a good rate for a Standard 2-Double bed room. The room size is big for Hong-Kong, the location is good with several eating joints around and next to the harbour. Its a 10 mins walk from the nearest MTR which I found to be a problem dragging my 5 yr old daughter especially when coming back tired from our excursions. For the standard room, there is absolutly no view, all you see is a wall and a wee-bit of the harbour, the charge was HKD 500/night extra for the Harbour view so we hadnt taken it but we didnt expect that the non-harbour view would be a view of a wall !!! The decor is a bit jaded as its an old hotel but otherwise neat and nice, and the staff is efficient and courteous. The rooftop pool is smallish but good for kids. Overall a decent hotel if you can get a good rate. Otherwise, the nearby Shangri-la has better view rooms and next to the MTR.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Great Kowloon location, good business hotel, rooms a bit on the dated side, but all well maintained and I think one of the best managed hotels in Hong Kong. Club lounge is very good, even though they now charge heavily for the privilege. Only area a bit weak on is the pool and relaxation area. But then again it is a business hotel!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2008

My wife and I stayed here after a month long trip around the world. The hotel ably assisted us with transfers from the Airport upon arrival and from the moment we stepped through the front door of the hotel we were treated like royalty.

The hotel is beautifully appointed and the staff were extremely polite and courteous and welcoming.

Our room was stunning. We did not have a harbour view room as this was beyond our budget but it was stunning none the less.

We found out our flight had been significantly delayed and the staff were incredibly helpful in arranging extensions to our accomodation and transport. The conceirge was ever so helpful and the doorman was a great help in providing directions to the taxis.

Our stay here was an absolute treat at the end of a wonderful holiday and we look forward to returning here for a longer stay in the future.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SamfromBrisvegas
Reviewed 2 December 2008

I chose this Hotel as I put alot of time into reading all reviews to ensure I picked a lovely hotel because it was my parents first visit to Hong Kong and I wanted to ensure they had a lovely stay in a lovely Hotel.
I definately made the right choice. We had lovely Harbour view rooms which looked out on to the beautiful harbour and the view was spectacular. We had club lounge access also and this is what really made our stay wonderful.
Everyone in the Club Lounge is so courteous and helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them. They show a genuine interest in how your day has been and what you have seen and done during the day and we looked forward to going there each morning for breakfast and snacks of an evening.
The pool was very nice and warm and the staff there brought out a drink of cold water for after your swim which was very refreshing. (I did suggest a nice big spa wouldnt go astray.)
The hotel is east Tsim Sha Tsui but it is located in a really nice mall and all the Christmas lights were up and a nice Italian Restaurant in the mall too and we really liked the location. It was about a 15 minute walk up to the centre to watch the light show of a night at 8pm but we liked to retreat back to our Hotel.
The Hotel Manager very kindly welcomed us and organized a special cake and wine for my parents as it was their anniversary during our stay, which was very kind.
The lobby is very grand and there a very nice restaurants within the Hotel.
We enjoyed our stay so much and recommend very highly this Hotel to all to stay.
The only one thing that took away from our enjoyment was the carpet in the rooms had a most terrible odour and spoilt our stay in the room. It was quite old carpet and the smell became overbearing of a night. My father changed rooms as it was terrible but still the whole 10th floor seems to have a problem. They tried to spray and deoderise the room which helped a little but it just was such a shame for such a beautiful room with such a beautiful view.
My only suggestion is not to stay on the 10th floor, especially if you have asthma, as my father and I did during our stay.
Overall though putting that aside the staff could not do enough for us and we really had a lovely stay and would definately go back again (on a different floor though) I thank them all for ensuring our stay was so special and most especially the Hotel Manager for taking time to help me arrange my stay and welcome my family.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family