“Excelent location, great dinning”

InterContinental Grand Stanford
Ranked #26 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Excelent location, great dinning”
Reviewed 2 December 2009

We stayed here for four day and three nights. Our room was big, clean and the bed is to die for! The views from our room where awesome.

1 Thank Lindab7218

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Surrey
Reviewed 1 December 2009

The hotel lobby is large but a bit old, the front desk was busy but the receptionist was nice and spent time to escort us to the club level to check in even she was busy - good and helpful. Check-in procedure was smooth but we were not being introduced any hotel facilities e.g. swimming pool and restaurants in the hotel. We can access to the club anytime for drinks and snacks from early morning until almost midnight, however, staffs there were not nice enough to provide us any drinks especially one of the male staff, I think we should apologize to him as we had “bother” him to make us drinks, maybe we were not welcomed. Female staffs chatted and laughed very loud at the reception area and nearly everywhere can hear them in the entire club, we just worried is this Intercontinenal hotel? Staffs were not professional and poor service mindset, it is not acceptable in a so-called 5 stars hotel, only a mid-aged male staff was nice and professional, the hotel needs more mature staffs like him and more training for the staffs is needed. It is worth to pay more to stay another intercontinental – the real intercontinental!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Treated like Royal at this hotel. Views are amazing from the room, conveniently located next to a SOGO and TSIM EAST station.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I am a Platinum member with Starwood Hotels and even as nice as their beds are, they do not beat Intercontinental's Grand Stanford Hotel's beds. Great firm mattresses, huge pillows, wonderful down blankets gave me a wonderful sleep everynight. Upon arrival, my husband fell ill due to drinking the water in another part of China. During his stay, the staff could not have been more attentive and caring. Our 11th floor room maid, "Ying" was especially helpful and treated my husband considerately everyday given his inability to leave the hotel room. She replenished extra hand towels everyday and did all she could to make sure my husband was comfortable. The hotel also serves a wonderful breakfast for those that have it included in their stay. Great breakfast selections for all types of appetites. Rooms are excellently decorated and the Harbor View rooms are worth every penney. Hong Kong at night is especially beautiful. The Concierge is more than happy to direct you to wherever you may want to go. One particularly good tip he gave was the Sticky Finger Bar half a block away with a terrific band. I would not hesitate to reccomend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank apickytraveler
Auckland
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I was a bit worried about this hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor about it, but was pleasantly surprised.
We had a room on one of the lower floors overlooking the street, but it didn't bother me too much as I wasn't going to be stuck in the room all day.
The bathroom was a bit small, but the room was exceptionally clean and the bed incredibly comfortable and big. We were still in the room one morning after it had been cleaned when we recieved a knock on the door from the cleaning manager who comes through and checks the rooms after they have been cleaned. What a great idea. Many other hotels I've stayed in need to practise this.
My favourite part of the stay at this hotel was the breakfast. This would have to be the best breakfast I've ever had in all the hotels I've stayed in around the globe. I agree with another reviewer that the seating is a bit cramped, but the food more than makes up for it.
We were staying when the Canton Fair was on so the hotel was pretty full. Breakfast was busy most mornings and you often had to wait for a table, but we found if we timed it right and went down late, the visitors to the Fair had long gone and just the tourists were left. It made for a much more pleasant breakfast without the hustle and bustle.
The location was okay and only a 5 minute walk to the train station. I really enjoyed my stay here and would definately come again.

1 Thank angel1974
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I booked the intercontinental thinking it was the only one in Kowloon till the taxi driver from the airport and dumped my wife and i in front of the Intercontinental on Salisbury road. I entered that lobby where the restaurant was humming with activity at 10:30 at night with guests enjoying live music overlooking the water only to be told by the front desk that I was registered at the InterContinental the Grand Stanford. I said I was an "Ambassador" member and asked if the reservation could be switched as I did not want to get into another cab after a long flight. The hotel said no to that.

When I did get to the Grand Stanford, there was nothing grand about it when compared to the newer hotel on Salisbury road. The lobby was clean and nice but lacked the "buzz" of the larger newer interContinental. The room was quite small but well equipped with a nice executive desk and hi-speed internet either via cable or wi-fi. The room on the 11th floor overlooked the waters of Kowloon harbor and was fairly quiet and insulated from corridor noise. The mattress was particularly comfortable unlike the experience of an earlier reviewer.

Breakfast is on the 1st floor and fairly decent in terms of the number of items and quality but has a somewhat cramped feel as far as seating goes. The Chinese restaurant in the basement has excellent Chinese food and staff as well as a decent atmosphere for a basement restaurant. The pool is an open-air effort on the 18th floor adjacent to the fitness center (well-equipped with treadmills and other equipment)

Overall an average hotel for its class and is probably over-shadowed by its newer brand namesake. If you had a choice go for the InterContinental on Salisbury road.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
new york
Reviewed 1 November 2009

So my friend and I decided to visit Asia in May 2008. We chose 3 countries - Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand and then back to Hong Kong for the journey back to the states. The tour company selected the Renaissance Kowloon as the Hotel of choice in Hong Kong. On our way home, we decided to stay 3 extra days in Hong Kong and wanted a different hotel experience, so we had booked the Intercontinental before leaving the states. We paid a total of 1,200 for three (3) days. IT WAS NOT WORTH IT.

The service was lousy. I was sitting on the edge of the bed when suddenly, the entire bed collapsed. It took quite sometime for service to come and review the situation. Another day, we needed an iron....we eventually left the room after 40 minutes without the iron.

The rooms were quite small and nothing to write home about. Actually, the rooms at the Renaissance Kowloon across the street were better and the breakfast was SUPERB! It was the greatest breakfast spread I have seen in quite sometime. Each day the Renaissance Kowloon had a different breakfast spread with a great variety for all types of visitors.

Back to the review of the Intercontinental - The breakfast, which was not included in the price of the room was equally displeasing. I simply think this place is overrated and moreso over priced. The internet charges were herrendous.....................actually, they seem to nickel and dime you every step of the way. They promised me hotel transfers to and from the airport and NEVER delivered. Instead, they tried to get me to take a limosine from the airport. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends