“Hong Kong Holiday”

Ranked #14 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Hong Kong Holiday”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed in the Langham Place hotel for nine nights at the beginning of May. From the moment I checked in I received an excellent service from receptionists, concierge, housekeeping and wating staff.
I had a studio room which there are only two per floor and located at the opposite end of a floor. There is nobody next to you or opposite, so you can be assured of some peace and quiet.
The rooms are larger than the standard rooms and command excellent views. There are extras such as a microwave, printer, but I never used these items.
The hotel is connected to a shopping complex that has a large choice of dining options as I found the hotel to be expensive for dinner, priced at £43 for a buffet.
The area of Mong Kok is not as glamorous as the waterfront, but it is the real Hong Kong.
You can catch the MTR from the shopping complex.
Breakfast was included for me, and there was plenty of choice including a Belgian chocolate fountain and marshmallows.

Room Tip: Studio room end of corridor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank andyh67186334

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed many times, always take friends there. Great spot, right amongst it, get a feel for the real HK. Real close to the MTR. Friendly staff, all doing a great job, from housekeeping through to the restaurant. Rooms are nice, you don't spend long there anyway, too much too do. The Backyard is great, an area outside for a drink or two, also great service. Five minutes walk to Ladies Market.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Port-Vila, Efate, Vanuatu
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The room type I booked wasn't available on arrival so they downgraded me to a double. Rooms were OK. No hope in hell of getting the TV to work properly despite calls to reception for assistance which were unanswered. The location is GREAT ...if you are into buying Power Tools and Plumbing parts. There of course is a mall joining the Hotel if you want some high end shopping. Only stayed a few nights and then moved on...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kava D
Beijing, China
Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you book a suite – you will be given a bed-sit.
If you are wheelchair bound expect accommodation with no grab rails
If you order Spaghetti - it will be served with brown and white sugar
If you agree a rate per night – don’t expect it to be honoured.
If you entrust your credit card details – expect to be overcharged.
If you write (email) a senior manager to complain – expect your email to be ignored.

We reserved a club suite online for three persons, my wife, 6-year-old son, and myself for five nights using the hotel’s web site. No choice was offered for smoking or non-smoking, or for people with disabilities. I am a smoker and therefore wanted a suite I could smoke in, also temporarily disabled (wheelchair bound following an operation to my back) .

We were given a bed-sitting room where when a single bed for my son was installed there was only just enough room for either my wife or I to stand to dress or undress. Wheelchair access was limited to a metre beyond the doorframe. It was most certainly not a suite as defined in the English language (“A suite is a set of rooms in a hotel” – Collins English Dictionary). My wife had to climb over my son’s bed to get to her side of our double bed. And, of course, in a bed-sit one should not really smoke – that was another reason for booking a suite!

The bathroom was dangerous due to the notable absence of any grab rails whatsoever. As I was in a wheelchair having recently had an operation to my back, the bathroom was virtually ‘out of bounds’. I had no choice but to use the toilet in the club area, as that was the only one with disabled facilities. The hotel claimed they had no other available accommodation but would move us to a suite the next day.

The next day we were moved to a bigger bed-sitting room into I could at least have my wheelchair pushed. The bathroom again was dangerous - naked of any grab handles making the shower with its slippery floor, and no mat, a death trap for even an able-bodied person. The staff told us that “No bathrooms in the hotel where fitted with any grab handles”, and that “A bed-sitting room was what this hotel called a suite”.

On that second night my wife made the fatal mistake of ordering room service. She ordered spaghetti. This happens to be my wife’s favourite dish. Langham Place Hotel, Mongkok serves their Spaghetti not Parmesan cheese and salt & pepper, but with brown and white sugar! The sugar is not put on the spaghetti but provided to the side. Readers will understand why we never ordered food from room service again.

Following a second night in a bed-sit with bathroom with zero grab rails and a meal of spaghetti served with brown and white sugar, we welcomed the arrival of a friend who had also booked a suite at the same time as making our booking. Of course they had no suite for him, and wanted to put him on a different floor in another bed-sit. They lied to him about any accommodation being available on the same floor as we were on. He was extremely ‘tough’ with the hotel staff, and surprise, surprise - they found him accommodation across the passage from our room.

We complained bitterly about the hotels’ insistence to charge the same price for a bed-sit as for a suite. The hotel insisted that “They had no suites” saying that “We call rooms suites”. After an extensive argument on our third day the staff agreed to call a senior manager. I should mention at this stage that senior management were visible only by their absence throughout our five nights stay.

This resulted in a Mr Simon [--] appearing who, after much debate, went away and returned later with a piece of paper that reflected a fairer rate of HK$ 2072 + 10% service per night. Facing a ‘fait accompli’ we decided to accept this although we would have gladly paid more for a suite instead of a bed-sit. The piece of paper we were not allowed to retain. We wondered why. The reason only came to light at our departure.

Two days later when we were checking out, the hotel tried to overcharge for the first two nights by a total of HK$ 893.20. The bill should have been HK$ 12372.80 but instead they tried to charge HK$ 13266.00. We refused to authorise this and did not sign, but told them they could debit our credit card for the correct sum of HK$ 12372.80.

On arrival home we wrote on 30 April by email to Mr [--] at Langham Place Hotel in Mongkok. He completely ignored our email, and our words on departure to his staff, and on 01 May debited our credit card HK$13266.00 instead of 12372.80.

As at today, 13 May, Mr [--] has not even had the common courtesy to acknowledge our email.

We are now considering other action that can be taken against this hotel who lie about their accommodation telling one bed-sit rooms are suites, and who abuse the trust when credit card details are entrusted to them - this aside from serving spaghetti with brown and white sugar and charging HK$ 206.80 for such rubbish food.

I have stayed in many five star hotels around the world over many years but have never been ripped off in this way, or treated with such extraordinary discourtesy. It is very sad for this hotel because other staff members are very polite and helpful. It is clearly this Mr Simon [--] who spoilt our five nights in Hong Kong.

Certainly, I would never return, under any circumstances, to this hotel again, or indeed any Langham Hotel, for fear of such happening again. Obviously, this is how Langham hotels operate.

When one reserves a suite, one has the right to expect a suite. If sub-standard accommodation is the ‘fait accompli’ one has the right to expect a reduced rate fought over, but finally agreed, to be honoured. And, if one orders Spaghetti one should not be expected to pay for it when it is served with brown and white sugar. We still feel sick when we think about such, and the theft that Langham hotel, Mongkok has branded itself, and its group with. Mr. Simon [--] is also a manager whose word clearly cannot be trusted.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Joe-UK-in-Beijing
paris france
Reviewed 13 May 2014

far from the 5 star hotels from HK, two steps away from the MTR and in the middle of the real HK it is a very wise choice for any type of trip to HK. Service is good, staff is helpful, presence of art gives a modern impression of the hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was my second time staying at the Langham Place Mongkok and the hotel was conveniently located above the Mongkok MTR stop. I was offered a free upgrade to the room with speedy check-in. The room was spacious comparing to average hotel rooms. I could spend the entire day not going out of the hotel because it was connected to the Langham Place shopping mall with variety of shops and dinning options. It was also conveniently located in the popular shopping area of Mongkok and Langham Place Mongkok was a great option if you plan to shop a lot because you could easily drop your stuffs at the hotel. Not to mention the hotel offers shuttle to the Hong Kong International Airport!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Enli O
bali
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Terrific location to central mongkok. The rooms are beautiful and the staff are both friendly and very helpful . We have stayed here over many years both for work and leisure I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Hong Kong . The breakfast is great .

• Stayed April 2014