“Nice Hotel But Small Room”

Harbour Plaza Metropolis
Ranked #123 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
delhi
“Nice Hotel But Small Room”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This is very good Hotel But I find Rooms littel bite small.... But still I liked hotel. Very Convinent For Indian Traveler, Near To TimshaSui Business Center & Shoping Center.
Along with the hotel there is a shoping complex in the hotel and Staff is very very friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Hotel is located right next door to Harbour Plaza Shopping Centre and across the right from Hung Hom Station. The rail system was so cheap and convenient that the location was not a hassle. We got a bus from the airport for HK$33 and it took us to Hung Hom station - so that was great. The hotel also had a free shuttle bus to the Kowloon Hotel near Nathan Road, every 20 mins. Great!!
We stayed in a 1 Bedroom Suite, which had a bedroom, lounge and kitchen and this was very comfortable for our weeks stay in Hong Kong. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Be aware that upon check-in they offer to upgrade your room (at a cost) and do not like taking no for an answer. (We think that they are given a commission to get you to upgrade because the girl was very cool towards us each time we saw her during our stay). Besides, that it was a beautiful hotel!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
mumbai
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I stayed at the hotel for four nights in the last week of september 2010. We were four of us hence had booked two rooms. We reached the hotel around 2 (which is the usual check in time), however they said we would have to wait for half an hour as the rooms were not ready. So we went around in the mall attached to the hotel. We returned at 4 after almost two hours, and yet we were told that the rooms are not ready. Upon argument they said they would give us only one room and the other after another half an hour. But we were really tired and argued strongly. So after 10-15 minutes we were given both the rooms.
The second shocker was the size of the rooms...they are so tiny...two suitcases on the floor and there is no space to move around. The lighting wasn't sufficient and the beds weren't comfortable either.
The breakfast was good with enough choice for vegetarians.
The hotel is very close to the Hung Hom Mtr station which connects to Tsim Sha Tsui, Nathan road etc.
Overall i wasn't happy with my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Jamberoo, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2010

The hotel is in an excellent location, away from the rush shopping area of Kowloon but only 10 minutes away by the free hotel shuttle bus which departs every 20 mins.
Hung Hom station is only a 5 minuute walk.
If you have children I would recommend Ocean Park amusement fun park on Hong Kong Island.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Delhi
Reviewed 12 September 2010

The hotel is very neat & clean with a huge lobby. The service, the rooms and the experience makes up for the price. The MTR, the bus stops and the malls are minutes to the hotel. The hotel also runs a Shuttle bus to TST.
The rooms are excellent. The buffet breakfast is excellent too..

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
vancouver
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Harbour Plaza Metropolis (called "Doe Wui Hoi Yat" in Cantonese) was iffy for us because we read a few reviews about terrible service. But we had a great time there. It might not be the best hotel in HK because I haven't lived everywhere, but it's really very good.

Hotel itself - The hotel has a huge lobby and looks gorgeous and very new. If you're checking in during the day, you always have to wait in line but I think it's just around 5-10 min wait. It has many elevators so you never have to really wait for one. The gym & pool are beautiful, new-looking, spacious, & clean. The gym does have quite a bit of equipment to use and the changeroom is so nice to use because it's clean, spacious, & few people go there.

Service - The concierge & guest services are friendly, courteous, & usually can speak English. When you call them, they always answer the phone quickly and usually deliver pretty quickly. The cleaners cleaned every day and WANT to clean your room but they don't speak much English and appreciate a tip. So do the bellboys.

Noise - I am an extremely light sleeper. I sleep with silicone ear plugs. With those, I had the greatest of sleep. However, I did live in a one-bedroom suite. Thus, it's very important for light sleepers to take a one bedroom because sometimes, people talked loudly in the hallway & you can totally hear them. A couple times, I heard the squeaking of chairs from the room above me & it was annoying. It didn't make sense because I heard it from the bedroom & I thought the room above mine was also a bedroom & the bedrooms have carpeting so you shouldn't hear the squeaking. But I think the room above wasn't a bedroom. So you should be careful that you may be sleeping under a noisy room. The living room is not carpeted, so when you move chairs, you have to lift them. It was almost always very quiet. We lived on a very high floor so we didn't hear any noise & we didn't hear noise from the rooms next door. If you do have a room near the elevator, you will hear the "dings" but if you live in a one bedroom & use ear plugs, you won't hear it. There are air-conditioners in the living room & bedroom but they are quite quiet. With ear plugs, I could still hear them, but the noise was low-pitched so it didn't wake me up. I often woke up having pulled out my ear plugs while sleeping but wasn't woken up because of any noise.

Room - We heard that rooms were super small but the one bedroom is a great size, a little less than 500 s.f. I think. There isn't a ton of space for putting suitcases on the floor but we liked storing our suitcases in the closet because it made walking around much easier. But if you wanted to put a suitcase on the floor, you probably could put 1 in the bedroom & a couple in the living room. Everything in the room is clean & new looking. The bathroom is spacious with a large shower. There are plenty of mirrors both big & small to look at yourself. The kitchen is spacious & has everything: small but good sized fridge, microwave, sink, dish tray, 2 element stove, & hood fan. BUT it does not have utensils & cooking equipment. This was a big disappointment. We couldn't cook at all. They only gave us a couple plates, utensils & cups. In terms of the kitchen, I much preferred the apartment I stayed at in London. Also, there is no window in the kitchen but it is a closed kitchen (with a door). The living room & bedroom both have decent tvs with a great selection of channels. I couldn't stop watching tv!! The windows are big & keep the rooms bright. Plus, we got a view of the harbour so that was excellent. There is ample room in the closets to put things but not enough hangers. Also, there isn't an ironing board & the hair dryer is quite annoying. But there is a desk/vanity table.

Bed - The bed was queen size which was very necessary. You may not be able to get one. It was a medium firmness. I didn't have problems sleeping. They only provide one duvet but it's very very warm.

Air Conditioning - Very important in the summer. The rooms were super cool & so was the whole hotel.

Food - We never ate at the hotel. I think it was too expensive. But the mall is attached to the hotel & we ate there. There aren't a lot of places to buy things but food is abundant with restaurants, supermarket, bakery, & candy store.

Pros of the Hotel - Clean, new-looking, no bugs, smells nice, spacious, seconds to the mall, & minutes to the KTR/MTR station & bus stop. It's always fast to get a taxi & there's a free shuttle to Tsim Sha Tsui. We took it a few times.

Cons of the Hotel - Even though everything in HK is quite cheap, the hotel was quite expensive. I paid about $150-200 per night and that's because I got the discount. I'm a sensitive sleeper so sometimes I have to pay a lot to get good sleep but if I wasn't such a sensitive sleeper, I wouldn't live here. Also, I think the hallway of the room should be bigger to allow us to put our shoes. The internet is super expensive so we had to live without it. Laundry is a lot cheaper in the mall & it's a few mins walk to get there. Our room toilet was really stinky for some reason. Even after the cleaner cleaned it, it still smelled. Oh, and you also have to pay for local calls, whether you make it or it comes to you. What the?!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 6 September 2010

The hotel is located right across a small road from Hung Hom station where you also find a queue of taxis if you need one. A further walk through a shopping mall took me to the very efficient Reception where I have learned I was upgraded to the Executive Floor near the Breakfast area with noises and smells starting before 6am!!!!!!!!!! Delight. And what I wanted when I booked the hotel well in advance was only a quiet room with good views over HK, for which I paid anyway. The complimentary fruits they sent did not change the impression that I was actually conned. The room was small and could have looked trendy if they made the effort, just like some French hotels that charge astronomic amounts, by painting their cheap brownish furniture in some elegant colours. The hallway led to a decent bathroom with no bath to relax after a long day of more than 10 hours on the go but a shower and passing a kitchenette with a cooker/sink/kettle then big fridge and microwave. Amazing views though so no need to watch their ancient TV and just sleep in their cool bedding covers.

Negatives:
1.An international call of 3min cost me over 11 Hong Kong dollars (£1 = approx 11 HKD – better rate in HK than London)
2.House-keeping thought is OK to use the Hoover at 1am then start preparing the breakfast before 6am, so waking me up every day with this as there was even a door leading me directly into their premises
3.When going to the airport, the Concierge tried to convince me is better to take their 130HKD shuttle bus that stops at several hotels and takes more than 1 hour. Thank God I ignored them and took a taxi for 15min/25HKD to Kowloon station then the fast train to the airport for 90HKD/24min

Tips:
1.The hotel is a good location from Hung Hom but so are the other hotels located west of the station off Mody road (Nikko hotel etc) in a square which looks very trendy and packed with lots of shops. You can further walk some 10min west to Chatham road, then more 10min to Nathan road. This distances are not as big as appear on the map, especially if you like walking.
2.Did not understand what is the trick with the Star Ferry, there are other ferries to HK island, so why do they recommend this one? Is not like is the shape of a Dragon boat! The cross though is some 2.50HKD, you cannot beat that (with a 20HKD taxi from the hotel). Then a 15HKD taxi to the tram and 36HKD return tram fare. When at the top, get out of the shopping centres and have a walk through the quiet roads where you can find only the locals (bankers’ wives) walking their dogs. Have a hot & humid rest in the Zoological and Botanical gardens with some cute creatures than walk (if not followed by locals looking like foreigners, ha ha) towards Stanley street (with a market that I did not understand) but some original shops on the nearby roads packed with City guys in the lunch break, then back to the Ferry. I must warn you though, you will find more English signs in Beijing than HK to help you and amazingly ‘les locales non parla Ingles'.
3.Right near the Ferry there is the Museum of Art which I highly recommend unlike the Museum of History near the Science Museum. Lots of original Chinese art to be bought there!
4.Try the most amazing soft drinks in the world at hot.com if you find it in the street, priced 10HKD

Not sure if I would recommend this hotel, maybe after a coat of paint could pass as French!!!! But the views are unbeatable.

• Stayed August 2010