“Hotel Par Excellence”
Review of The Mira Hong Kong

The Mira Hong Kong
Ranked #59 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We don't usually book expensive hotels whenever we go on vacation but, reading about The Mira, we decided to make this an exception. We were not disappointed. We booked the hotel package that includes breakfast and airport-hotel limousine transfer for 6 rooms.

From the moment we arrived at the airport, the limousine pick-up service got us excited in anticipation to a great stay in Hong Kong. We were picked up by a chauffered Mercedez Benz limousine that spells luxury all over. The chauffer was very nice and informative along the way. We had 6 limousines for the 6 rooms we booked.

Upon stepping inside The Mira, we were immediately impressed by the modern interior design, the ambient lighting all throughout the hotel and the fragrant smell that will engulf you as soon as you walk through the doors. Check-in was a breeze and we were on our way to our rooms in no time together with a hotel staff to see us in our rooms. Another hotel staff returned after a few minutes to give an orientation as to how to operate the high tech facilities of the room and to explain the other freebies which were available for our stay. Since the hotel is being renovated during the day (which you wouldn't even notice), the hotel made this up by giving a box with ear plugs to block out any noise you might hear, a chocolate, a certificate for a 15 minute head and shoulder massage and another certificate to a free drink at the bar. Great customer service by this hotel.

The room, aside from its chic design, is a techie's haven. It would take some time to get acquainted with the room and the facilities and how to operate them. There is a 42" Sony lcd tv that doubles as a computer monitor powered by a Sony Vaio Personal Computer and blu ray player in one. The keyboard is wireless and you can check your e-mail and surf the internet while you are in bed. There is also an i-pod dock available and a free wi-fi is available everywhere in the entire hotel.

Most impressive of all is the telephone system which every room has. There are 3 units in every room- beside the bed, in the bathroom and a mobile phone which you can bring outside when you go out so you never miss a call if you're expecting one. The best part is if you are in a group and you want to talk to the occupants in the other rooms, you may do so whether you are in or out of the hotel. Saves a lot of roaming expenses for our phones and a big hurrah for total connectivity.

Another interesting feature is the pillow menu. You can order pillows like the aromatherapy pillows, goose down pillows and the Tempur memory pillows. Sleep to your heart's content. There is also a set of aromatherapy toiletries in the bathroom.

The bathroom has glass walls and a push-button privacy option for the blinds to go down from the ceiling to cover the walls at your option. You can also close and open the blinds with another button. Sound facilities in the bathroom gives you the option to listen to music or the tv while you are taking your bath. There is a separate tub and shower area. There is an option for a telephone shower or an overhead rainshower.

The buffet breakfast is very good, not the big variety type, but the selection is good-cereals, breads and croissants, salads, hams, smoked salmon and other delis. The breakfast area (Yamm) has also an impressive interior especially the ceiling.

The hotel boasts of superb service and I can say excellence is the only way to describe the service we received from everyone from the welcoming staff at the entrance, the front desk staff, the food and beverage staff and housekeeping. There was never a time when we enter the elevator without anyone assisting us since the elevators run only when a guest's room key is inserted. We feel very secured.

The lobby and everywhere in the hotel is a place of quiet and serenity. A feeling you get whenever you enter a spa. It's unlike the busy hotel lobbies we are used to.

And last, but certainly not the least, is the superb location of the hotel. Right on Nathan Road, near the MTR TST station, the shopping and dining areas and the ferry terminals. What is more to ask for? I think The Mira has all the answers.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank geminitraveller
Write a ReviewReviews (3,117)

Reviewed 12 April 2009

I spent 2 nights with my partner in this newly renovated hotel. I had not stayed here before but the new look is indeed very impressive.

Prior to our stay, a welcome desk manager offered to do a personalised introduction to the rooms before we made our choice. There are different coloured themes for the rooms - green, silver, red and purple. We chose the green one for a more relaxed feel to our stay. We also visited the purple room (which is the executive room). You have to pay HKD 700 more for this room which I personally feel is not necessary because there isn't much of a difference. Namely they are just, marble flooring as compared to the parquet one (which I feel is better), a GPS handphone (normal handphone for other rooms), and an extra massage shower head. There might be other small differences but really, inconsequential.

As already mentioned by other reviewers who have praised the aesthetics of the room, I would just like to add that the glass bathroom was very attractive. It completely transformed the room and made it look bigger. Also, a mirrored sliding door separated the wash area and main door from the bed and entertainment. So, some noise is shut out and the mirrors create an illusion of a bigger-than-it-really-is room.

The entertainment system is very techy as well. The very big screen doubles up both as a TV and a computer screen. There is a personal Sony VIAO PC available in the room with complimentary high speed internet connection and a wireless keyboard so you can surf on the bed. The Bose sound system is very advanced too. There are volume controls in the bathroom and you can watch videos or listen to music while you soak in the bath. There was some interference from the transmission in the toilet, though.

Also, complimentary breakfast is delivered to your room at a time you specify while making up your mind from a list of items on the breakfast menu. The breakfast comes looking very classy indeed. Eating in the comfort of your own room and privacy is a huge plus.

And finally, after much deliberation, here comes the glitches...

The rooms are not sound-proof. In fact the doors of the neighbouring rooms slamming jolted me from my afternoon nap once, and my mornings a few times. There were many guests on the floor and them walking and talking very loudly along the corridor in the morning was really disturbing even with the sliding door closed. I think a hotel with such class should look into the acoustics of the rooms.

The hotel is still other renovation. Although we got a room further from the construction area and the drilling noises being not very loud, it can still be heard. I'm not sure if it is because I'm a light sleeper, but the noise woke me up from my afternoon nap and late mornings again. I resorted to using ear plugs (which the hotel provided us with).

Finally, something I am most unhappy with - A hotel personnel actually rang the doorbell when my DO NOT DISTURB sign was lit. DO NOT DISTURB was clearly not clear enough for him. Although I appreciate the kind gesture of bringing me a bottle of wine which was complimentary, I'm very sure it could have waited? I was again having my afternoon nap (many things happened during that nap) and the bell completely woke me up when I just managed to get over the incessant drilling and corridor noises. I had to scramble from bed, get myself together to open the door for him as he stayed there til I responded.

One last thing... This I can't be sure if it's the hotel personnel's doing or some dumb prankster. It was very early in the morning (I can't be sure how early because I was deep in dreamland) and the doorbell rang! Oh great, the doorbell again... My partner went to see to it and found no one there. Now this was very annoying. He said there wasn't anyone and there was just the newspaper hanging on the door handle.

My overall impression of the hotel however, is very good. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Not to mention it is located in Tsim Sha Tsui, a very up-market, bustling shopping district within minutes walk of the beautiful Victoria Harbour. Don't miss out on this hotel for many good reasons. However, as with everything else in life, don't expect perfection.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank faith_clytie
Reviewed 10 April 2009

The reaction to this hotel will be a personal one. For me, this hotel was outstanding, but for a more traditional person, the modern features of this hotel can be a little daunting.

First, the service is incredible, from the doormen, to the personal escort to the room, to the assistance with the elevator, to a concierge that anticipated what I needed from a 1 minute conversation, to the service at the bar.

The hotel is very modern - the rooms include every high tech accessory you can imagine from a 46" flat screen TV connected to a PC that allows free Internet access, to a lighting control system, an IPod docking station, a mobile phone that allows room calls to follow you anywhere in HK, a choice of showerheads (waterfall or massage), and probably some that I missed. The room was an average size for Europe/Asia, with a large, comfortable bed, large desk, safe, bathrobes, slippers, umbrella, a 'pillow menu' and all of the bathroom accessories. Overall an excellent, comfortable & exceedingly well appointed.

The only downside to this hotel (to me) - is the location. It is right in the center of Nathan Road, the shopping district - not one of my favorite locations - and as such, no views of a beautiful city. It is very centrally located to everything though - and very close to the metro...

The hotel is still under renovation to some of the floors - but I talked with several guests - and none were disturbed by the renovation.

Overall, one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank frankll1a
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Exceptional hotel, the first of it's modern class i've staued in to. The room is classy with complete button,s polished clear glass for the bathroom, large plasma and even a nokia phone connected to the room number which the guest my bring outside, the room i got though has an ugly view outside, froting the back of another building. Tastefully designed. Price maybe above average but certainly worth the feel of it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Intrepid_traveler82
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Known as Hotel Miramar when we stayed in July 08, the hotel was undergoing major renovations but they managed them well so we were not interupted. However, our room did not have a window! Not something I have ever felt I needed to request in a hotel room. The curtained wall opened to an opaque glass window with a lit up brick wall behind it! Made the room too gloomy & the bed was too hard as is the case in alot of Hong Kong hotels. However, those 2 things aside it was in a great position, nice & central and the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We stayed at the Mira from Jan 3 to Jan 8 , 2009 and the entire family loved it! The accomodations is probably one of the BEST I have ever experienced.
The room we got had a 42" (or was it 50"?) plasma TV, a Bose iPOD dock, and a Sony Viao console that allowed you to surf the web and use the TV as your monitor. They also provide every room with a cellphone that you can use to call other family members staying in the hotel. This was great because each family member had different things they wanted to do but when it was time to eat, we could call each other (at no charge!) to see where everyone wanted to go.
The shower amenities allowed you to choose from a "rainfall", regular shower head, or a body massage-type heads. The bathrooms had windows with blinds so you could watch TV while taking a shower. The bathrobes were plush.
They also have a "Pillow Menu" so if you were not satisfied with the already uber-comfortable ones you have, you can select from about other kinds of pillows (I tried the Lavender scented one...).
When you walk out of the hotel and get on Nathan Road, you can turn right to get to Jordan Street (Temple Street Night Market) or turn left to get to the MTR station for a ride to the Ladies Night Market.
I give this hotel two thumbs up!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank yogagirl
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We have just returned from a week stay at the Mira Hotel. The hotel is magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. It was indeed an awesome experience!

This will definitely not be our last stay!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family