“Concerns, then delight!”
Review of The Mira Hong Kong

The Mira Hong Kong
Ranked #48 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 September 2009

I booked my stay at the Mira based on a visit to the hotel last march during a very quick visit to Hong Kong. From the lobby the hotel looked like my kind of hotel, modern minimalist and functional.
h
Having booked it I read regularly reviews on your web pages, most of which gave me cause for concern. Still not finished, building noise, poor service etc. On that basis a week before my trip I cancelled the booking and checked in else where.
Within minutes of my sending my cancellation, Rod, the hotel's sales manager rang me to explain that whilst he understood my concerns from reading the reviews, he could assure me that these problems were in the past, and that as I had booked a mira club room. I would be far away from the last remaining work being carried out in the basement. On his say so, I reinstated my booking.
The hotel is very very good indeed! The staff are extremely attentive and friendly and the rooms are wonderful. Lovely comfortable bed, great pillows and terrific to see original Arne jacobson egg chair in the rooms, not copies, which in hong kong would have been much easier and less expensive!
In truth I find it hard to fault the hotel. I have stayed in some of the famous 5 star hotels in hong kong over the years. The Mira, in my opinion is not far behind them in many aspects, and in terms of value for money it is way ahead of them.
The official opening is taking place on the 17th Sept the day after I leave. I wish it a great day, and a succesfull future.
I for one will certainly be using it again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Mira Hong Kong

Reviewed 10 August 2009

we have been to mira a number of times in the last decade before its recent transformation ... though it has lost some of its 'old charm' and 'roomy space', it is certainly for the better that it has decide to move on!
as we checked ourselves into the 'club floor', the service is impeccable from the moment we step in until leaving the hotel for hkia. the staff do try very hard to please and do a good job as such too.

having said that, the ongoing renovation does 'get to you' and the sleek bathroom floor was flooded every time it was used and add to that, the mainland chinese who treated the club floor like their commune with doors wide open and walking around in their shorts and topless just doesn't blend with this 'trendy hotel'.

perhaps sales and management can do something to improve the said then this place would be 'almost perfect'. as for perfect, it can located 'next' to mtr without having to walk 2/3 blocks and streets.

look forward to mira doing better the next time we are there ...

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank khteo
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We had a chance to visit Hongkon recently on the business trip. It was a urgent meeting therefore we only have 2 days to prepare ourselves. We decided to pick The Mira Hotel from the internet. When we got there, we are please with our choice.

The room is small but the layout and design are great. It is very modern equip with all amenities such as internet, wide plasma screen, local mobile phone, bath tub etc. I cannot think of anything I would need.

Just small concern that the hotel is going through a renovation therefore there will be a loud noise between 9am - 6pm. Well for us it is ok, as we are on business trip and we were out most of the time. By the time we are back it is late already. Oh one last thing, the breakfast is not so good. They cam improve on that.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2009

First of all let me say this : The Mira was not on my wishlist.
I was interested in Langham Place and The Luxe Manor. But since I was travelling with a toddler who wanted his own bed, I went looking for a room with 2 double beds. LP and TLM only had twin beds of 105x190, so a bit to small for 2 adults.

I was on the edge of booking The Panorama Hotel. When I tried Priceline just for fun,
(there were rumors The JW Marriott went for US$180 a night) and booked The MIra to my surprise.

They were very friendly in an email exchange(For me an email response has to be within 48hrs).

We stayed June 23-June 27 at The Mira.
Checkin was a breeze and I stayed in room830, a twin bedroom , non-smoking as requested in my email.

The beds were comfortable, however I regret not using the Pillow offers.

Wifi setup was easy, connection fast, Sorry Dirk, but I did download some "QUESTIONABLE" Software albeit small ones. ;-).

I did not watch that many TV, only MJ's death, RIP Dear MJ.
The setup with the controller was a bit confusing, the mobile phone though an excellent idea.( Last time I went to HK my bill was €100 for 10 small calls on my gsm)

Nice Bathroom, I did complain a bit about it but it was solved in an excellent way.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. I did not care about the renovations because most of the time I was outside the Hotel. It did save me once, when we were still sleeping at 10
and I woke up because off the noise!!

Let me say this: My son was very happy with this Hotel and the room, he is very selective
about everything. Should be a Top 10 Hotel in HK, maybe after the renovations.

So thumbs up and We will be back next Time.

PS: I read the review from "Garbagemantokyo" or somethin like that.
Iam sure you did some research on Priceline hotels. So you could have known The Mira was a PL-hotel.

And if you googled The Mira you should have known there were renovations going on and the POOL was CLOSED. Look maybe you were looking for a FourSeasons on the cheap, but complaining about renovations is too cheap. If there is no renovation you would complain about the dirty carpets etc.

PS2: If somebody wants to stay at The Mira and have special requests PM me and I will give you an email address from either the GM or the FrontDesk manager.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tiesto
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I was lured to this hotel by one of their staff members who took my details from the Langham place hotel where I am a regular guest, when she changed jobs.

This hotel is under construction, but in honesty the work never affected me at all. The hotel has done some great jobs already, it has superb rooms when compared to other Hong Kong hotel rooms, excellent use of space, a great bed, a really comfy chair (wow where did they get those from, I need one!), the bathroom is superb and the room well appointed with plug sockets, a large HD TV, Sony computer system, free internet, and good lighting (with excellent on/off switches).

I dont know if you have ever stayed in one of those super large suites, where it takes you 15mins to walk around before bed to switch off all the lights? They should use this hotels mood lighting, all lights are controlled from panels, where with one or two presses changes all the lights settings, in the room and bathroom!

The bathroom has the glass wall so that you can watch TV in the bath, and sound is piped in.

The feature that stands out the most however is the cellular phone in your room, its a regular Nokia, with GPS that you can take out and about with you, when you hit the streets of Hong Kong. Local calls are free and international calls dirt cheap, you can also call other rooms in the hotels phones, no matter where you or the other guest is in Hong Kong!

Location is fair, 2 or 3 blocks from the hustle and bustle of TST, and the MTR.

In my opinion their rooms are well appointed and offer a good alternative to most other hotels. BUT, staying in a hotel has a lot more to do with the experience and not the room itself. Firstly the staff offer nothing but the bare minimum in service, you feel that the smiles are fake, and that if they could they would tell you its too much trouble. Breakfast was ok but after two mornings, I couldnt stomach another batch of what can only be described as limited and boring, and without change, it lacks imagination.

I had two personal gripes, firstly the person who contacted me to stay with them instead of the Langham place knew my personal preferences, I usually get a 38th/39th level residence suite at the Langham place, and they assured me that the Mira hotel would be much better, it wasnt. No view, the room was not a suite, and the feature that sets the langham apart - its club lounge is missing. Secondly on a hot day we had bought ice cream (in cups not cones) and were asked to finish them outside as no foods from outside can be consumed on the property, I refused but was sent to my room like a naughty child to finish it there, this despite other guests eating food from outside (not ice cream though) in the lobby lounge.

If you are on a budget its not a bad choice, it however cannot compete with the other hotels I prefer in HKG

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank jhbboy
Reviewed 3 July 2009

This hotel is under construction, and you will hear it every morning. This also means that there is no pool (even though there's still a picture of one on their website). I'm sorry, but providing ear plugs does not compensate for being woken up by fire alarms and jack hammers at 8 in the morning. Hotel staff were apathetic to these concerns - no compensation was offered for the lies (i.e. the pool) and lack of information (no mention of construction) posted on their website, only simple promises of 'oh, I'll let my manager know that'. If I hadn't had to pre-pay in full on Priceline, I would have walked out the door the second I arrived.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank garbagemanTokyo
Dirk_TheMira_GM, General Manager at The Mira Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2009

Dear garbagemanTokyo,

First of all let me apologise if your stay was unsatisfactory and if you were disturbed by a fire alarm in the morning. Fire alarms are obviously a necessary feature to ensure the safety of our guests and it is certainly not our intention to cause any disturbance.
It is correct that until the end of August 2009 we will have some more renovation works to complete including the Spa and Pool area. However, most of the noisy works have been completed and no renovation is taking place outside the hours of 10am to 6pm.
I would very much like to research your experience further and would be grateful if you could contact me with more details of your stay e.g. room number, dates and which team member you spoke to. These details would be most helpful so I can rectify areas that need amendment.

Thank you and please accept my sincerest apology for not delivering a great stay as per our promise.

Kind regards

Dirk Dalichau

Reviewed 17 June 2009

My husband and 3 year old son stay at the mira hotel. We were treated like royals. I highly recommended this hotel. It has flat large flat screen tv, wireless unlimited internet, rain water showers. The hotel was very modern and sophisticated and helpful, friendly staff. The bed was big enough that the 3 of us could sleep in. Overall the best hotel i have ever stay at and i didn't want to leave, we were spoilt.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family