“Great value”

Ranked #372 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
London, United Kingdom
“Great value”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Great Location, nice staff. I would definately come here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank styli6726

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego
Reviewed 9 November 2011

3 pros: price, location and nice view of Kowloon if you're on a north-facing & higher floor (13th and up). Everything else about the hotel is so-so. The rooms are functional but shabby and could use some updates. However, if you're not planning to stay inside your room much, it's an adequate place to sleep, shower and store your belongings. WiFi is free in the lobby. But not in the rooms - it is $80HKD/day for WiFi in your room. BUT- if you put your laptop really close to the window, you may score some free public WiFi.

The front desk staff is mediocre, especially two of the female attendants. Such surly faces! One could barely respond to an easy "early check-in" question (we spoke in both English and Cantonese in hopes to make it easier), and she kept deferring to her co-worker. We needed to break a large bill for the cab, and the other lady attendant got annoyed and handled the bills in an angry manner. Luckily, the bell man was helpful and pleasant. If you arrive early, most likely you won't get an early check-in as the hotel does get full. So if you drop off your luggage, it is kept in the lobby under a fish net covering. Made me a little nervous, so keep your valuables with you.

Both restaurants in the hotel are average. The MTR station is very close, which is great. So many restaurants, sandwich shops, bakeries, stores and a Starbucks around the corner. This hotel doesn't have any extras, but meets your basic needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor (13 and up) and facing Kowloon for views of the harbor and city.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank SD_gallivant
New York
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I have stayed in 9 different hotels in HK the past 4 years. If I included everything -- the location, the price, the services and the room size (in this particular order) -- into my calculation, I'd say this one is my number 2 choice. It is just across the MTR exit, and I paid less than HK$1k for each night. Yes, the room is small, but we got a view of the harbour. There are so many types of eateries in the immediate area. One night I got sick and threw up in the room, and the next day we did not go out till much later. When we returned about 2 hours later, the room was cleaned completely and desensitized. I really appreciated the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank nocorptax
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 20 May 2011

This hotel is definetely not the best one in Hong Kong, but the price is reasonable and for two, three days you can stay there. There is not much space but this is Hong Kong! Rooms are small, so if you have claustrofobia you can feel a bit uneasy staying there. The place is clean, but they could do more about the "refreshement" of the whole building. Air condition is not the best one and definetely not the most silent but at least beds are comfortable. There is also a computer in a room with free Internet access.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank snooka76
Pune, India
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Newton Hotel, Hong Kong
The Newton Hotel is a great hotel with its rooms facing the harbor. The service at the hotel is great and friendly, it has security posted in the hotel lobby at all the times, which makes you feel more secure. Also the attendants or the staff is very helpful in various ways which I personally experienced. The rooms are spacious also very elegant with nice ambiance.
One of the experiences I personally felt was great was when we had to arrange a meeting at the hotel itself so we inquired about how we could arrange it ? They made arrangements for us in a corner of buffet hall with a nice partition. The buffet actually was nice except that it had a lot of non-vegetarian dishes which i cant comment on because I am a strict vegetarian. Well I tell only this much and no more the rest is for you to decipher it will be really a great experience which I can ensure.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank IshanKamlapurkar
Surabaya
Reviewed 6 January 2010

I have been to this hotel last Christmas holiday with my family. We check in with okay service then we check out for Macau 1 day and come back to this hotel again. Since we have a big luggage that we dont think we will need it in Macau, we want to store it at Newton Hotel since we will come back again in the next day. However, the luggage storage for their own guest is charges about HK$ 10/ pc.

When we come back, I was having quite sea sickness and would like to relax on the sauna area, but the sauna was turned off and I call the operator ask them to turn it on since I want to use it. the operator initially okay my request; however, after waiting 10 minutes nothing happened and I called again and being transfered to House keeping which tell me that we need pay some money to use Sauna because it is "Facility" since it use extra energy. I told them why not giving allocated elevator use per day for the guest so that they can save some energy too.

I have been to many hotels in many countries and this is the first time that the hotel charge for every service that they have to provided. Luckily, I am not charge for the greeting that they did at the front door.

Overall, good location, but if you can find same price, I would suggest city garden hotel, 1 block further from the MTR station(SUbway) but better service and still in the same area.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business