“An excellent hotel in a new land for my travels”
Review of Panda Hotel

Panda Hotel
Ranked #130 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Isle of Man
“An excellent hotel in a new land for my travels”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed in Panda Hotel for a week in early December 2013. Although it was rather expensive for my budget, I felt that I received good value for money. My room was comfortable and quite large, with no bother at all by cigarette smoke mentioned in another review. I am allergic to smoke, so I would have noticed it. As an aside, in the parts of Hong Kong that I visited there were very few people smoking, certainly much less than is the case in Europe, with just a few people having a drag outside one of the entrances of the hotel or, sometimes, on the foot bridges over the streets.

The breakfast and evening buffets in Panda Cafe were excellent, with a wide choice of both western and oriental food, including versions of some European regional specialities. The evening buffets included a lot of seafood, enjoyed by many guests. I drank in the bar next to Panda Cafe a couple of times, but the drinks were fairly expensive, although I have been told that is the case everywhere in Hong Kong. Fortunately, on the first occasion the very pleasant young man working in the bar told me that it was happy hour!

Internet is available in the Business Centre on the top floor of the hotel, a relative bargain at $15 per 15 minutes. As a bonus, there is a fine view from up there.

I mostly travelled around Hong Kong by train, using an Octopus card that I bought at the airport and received a refund on when I was leaving at the end of the week. Panda Hotel is accessible in about 5-10 minutes walking from two MTR stations, Tsuen Wan and Tai Wo Hau, and is not too far from Tsuen Wan West, either. Panda Hotel is closest to Tai Wo Hau station, as advised by the helpful staff in hotel reception. Travelling on that line allows access to Hong Kong Island. On the first whole day there I made the "mistake" of travelling to the centre in the rush hour, and the train was crowded!

Tai Wo Hau station is also close to Shing Mun Park, a bit of greenery only about 10 minutes walk from the hotel. There is a Promenade at Tsuen Wan West in the other direction, too, which was especially impressive at night with a view of the lights of the buildings round about and across the water.

With never having been to Hong Kong before I was slightly confused after looking at the picture of the hotel on the website. It looked as if it wasn't surrounded by other buildings and, therefore, I would be able to spot it from some distance away. Of course, being Hong Kong the hotel was indeed hemmed in amongst other tall buildings. However, signs along the walkways crossing the roads from the railway stations indicate the direction to walk to reach the hotel, so I had no trouble finding it, tired though I was from an overnight flight from Sydney.

There were two relatively minor problems with my bathroom which I was able to make do with but reported before I checked out.

I had a pleasant surprise on checking out, as my bill for food was less than I was expecting, there being a discount on the quoted prices for guests eating in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Manager_PH, Manager at Panda Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear PeelKippers,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel and sharing your comments. We are glad to know that you were satisfied with the stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Your sincerely,
The Management
Panda Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Main problem is location. The hotel is far from the center and you have to cross a curving bridge to get to the nearest metro station.
The air condition in the room was freezing. We had a terrible chilly night and the only solution was to turn it off and ask for more blankets..
They also do their best to freeze you at the dinning room, so we had to wear warm clothes for breakfast..
Breakfast is OK
Wifi is not free

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Shin2,

Thanks for staying at Panda Hotel and sharing your experience with us. We understand that it might be cold during winter, so please do let us know and we will try our best to assist and serve as you need. Moreover, free Wi-Fi will be offered from 1 Jan 2014. We look forward to welcoming you soon again and wish you would have a refreshing experience.

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My hotel stay was great, we were greeted by the staff members and although they are not fluent in English they strive to assist us in getting our rooms checked in. They are really friendly. The location of the hotel may be far off from the city centre but afraid not, they have free shuttle bus for the hotel guest to Tsim Sha Tsui daily and it is very convenient to walk to all the landmarks from the drop off point. Besides that, the hotel has 3 levels of shops below which is convenient. If you would like to experience real Hong Kong meals, just take a short stroll out of the hotels and you will be able to get the food eaten by the locals...

Room Tip: Ask for high floors and newly renovated rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear godm,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel. It’s our pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with our services. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future again.

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel must be one of the favorite for groups. Every time we passed into the lobby there was a new group coming in. At a certain point I felt it was a high school field trip designated hotel, packed with noisy high-school students. The hotel is located outside the center. It takes between 20-40 minutes to get down town. To get to the subway station you will have to walk around 7 minutes and climb stairs.
The room is decent size, not too large, not too small. The shower is OK.
We visited in December and froze at night. After we complained we got a small heater and an extra blanked.
Our room included breakfast. The food at breakfast was fine and offered Asian as well as western traditional breakfast. The moment we finish the last bite even if you did not swallow it, one of the staff will clear your plate. This "efficiency" drove us nuts. We felt as if we were chased out of the dining room.
If I will return to Hong Kong I will try to stay in a more central location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Amalia H,

Thanks for staying at Panda Hotel and sharing your comments with us.

In order to bring more convenience to our guests, Hotel offers downtown shuttle bus served with fixed schedule, which will take guests to Tsim Sha Tsui and Mong Kok in just 30 minutes.

Since the cold days in Hong Kong are short, we have heaters and blankets on guests’ request during winter. Moreover, we will strengthen our staff training and strive for the best to deliver quality services to make a comfortable stay of our guests.

We hope there’s opportunity to serve you again with a refreshing experience.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Love the location of the hotel. Very convenient! But it is quite a distance from Kowloon area.
Shopping mall just below the hotel, coffee shops right opposite and the train station is just 10 minutes away.
The rooms are comfortable and clean.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Travellerdenise
Dear Travellerdenise,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel. We are happy to know that you were satisfied with your stay. Wish to welcome you soon again.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Rooms are nice and cozy but sadly just like most others in Hongkong free wifi are not available here so if you wish to be able to get online daily this surely would cost you extra bucks to do so. Due to its high occupancy I found that its lift service should be improved to avoid users queue. Other aspects are fine

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_PH, Manager at Panda Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear BobbyAngkaM,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel and sharing your comments with us. You may book through our Hotel website to enjoy free Wi-Fi next time. Look forward to welcoming soon again!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed in a few places in Hong Kong but this hotel is great, yes it's not downtown in a bar street and yes you need travel by taxi to go easily there but it's worth it.
The rooms are not too small and the quality is modern and good.
The breakfast quality is more for locals and not for westerners but you can survive

Staff is friendly, parking available and around the hotel is a mall, restaurants and plenty of shops

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Matthiasz82
Manager_PH, Manager at Panda Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Matthiasz82,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel and happy to know that you had enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!