“Good stay, but free Wifi pledge not honoured”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Panda Hotel

Ranked #131 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Malaysia
“Good stay, but free Wifi pledge not honoured”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I spent two days at the Panda Hotel. Because we crossed over to China to visit Shenzhen in between the two days, we stayed in different rooms, the first time on the 25th floor and the second time on the 13th floor. Both rooms had identical layouts and were clean and spacious. They were large enough for a two-seater couched to be placed in front of the TV. Both rooms had ensuite bathrooms, but the difference was that the long bath on the 25th floor was delightfully deeper than normal (perfect for a good soak), whereas the water in that on the 13th floor barely covered the belly. (No, I don’t have a beer belly.) I found the hotel staff members manning the reception and concierge desks courteous and helpful. They spoke good and generally accentless English. Gone was the sing-song twang that I remember from my last visit to Hong Kong some 25 years ago.

The Tsuen Wan sector where the Panda Hotel is located is away from the city centre, and is hence not the hub of Hong Kong’s business bustle. But that’s precisely the attraction of the area. This is the visitor’s opportunity to see more of the other face of Hong Kong that you don’t normally see on CNN or Bloomberg TV: the vibrant daily life of its citizens. A short walk from the hotel takes you to the neighbourhood of Chuen Lung Street where shops and roadside stalls compete with one another to sell all kinds of market fare, from fresh pork, fruits, vegetables and condiments to waxed meats and dried seafood. Vendors loudly extol the virtues of their wares (sometimes with the help of recordings), beckoning passers-by. Others call out the special offers of the day. All transactions are in Cantonese. But don’t worry if you don’t speak the language because most items have price labels. You only need to point.

Speaking of price labels, a lot of the prices are quoted per 500 grams of the produce. This might puzzle some visitors: why label the price per half kilogram instead of per kilogram? The reason for this is that the traditional Chinese unit of weight measurement is the ‘kati’, which is approximately 600 grams. Pricing goods per 500 grams enables older clientele to have an easy grasp of the price per kati that they are familiar with.

There is no lack of shopping outlets, including some large modern shopping malls, close to the hotel and even within the same building as the hotel. If you have, nevertheless, a hankering for designer labels, the hotel has a free shuttle running from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. at hourly intervals to take you to the upmarket Kowloon shopping district of Tsim Sha Tsui. Close by the shuttle drop off-pick up point is Harbour City Shopping Mall that is worth a visit. Walk to the pier where, in the evening, you can see the lights of Hong Kong Island. The hotel shuttle also stops at Mong Kok, another lively shopping area enroute, on request. Note, however, that there is no shuttle pick-up from Mong Kok.

Despite the many strong points of the Panda Hotel, the main disappointment was the absence of free Wifi that had been promised. Having read earlier hotel responses to Trip Advisor reviews, I was aware that the previous hotel practice had been to provide free Wifi only for rooms booked through the Internet (and not through a travel agent). But my understanding was that this condition had since been lifted and that - in the words of the hotel management responding to a December 2013 TripAdvisor posting - “… free Wi-Fi will be offered from 1 Jan 2014”. No conditions, such as a requirement to book online, were set. I explained this to the receptionist at check-in, and I actually showed her a printout of this pledge made by the hotel. But no reasoning on my part could sway her. The hotel was quite adamant in not honouring its pledge of free Wifi. If I wanted this facility, it would cost HK$120 per day. That would have been a lot to pay for spending a few minutes mainly to update my email. Panda Hotel should realise that few guests come all the way to Hong Kong just to surf the internet the whole day. Hotel Wifi is mainly a facility to relieve the guest of an inconvenience. In this connection, it is only fair to mention that - less conveniently perhaps - ‘free’ Wifi was available at the hotel’s Sports Bar. I use the word ‘free’ loosely because it was free only “with any patronage”. So even here, ‘free Wifi’ came with a cost (if you’d excuse the oxymoron).

I did manage to get free Wifi a short walk from the hotel. Here’s how. Emerging from the hotel exit along the overhead walkway, turn right at the T junction (whereas turning left would take you to the trains). At the end of the walkway, at street level, you will find the Sweet Potato Noodles shop nearby. (The English writing on the signage is quite small; you have to search for it). The Sichuan-style noodles served there were excellent (although they might be a tad too spicy for Western palates). Enjoy your noodles along with the free Wifi, courtesy of the Seven-Eleven outlet next door. Here, then, is a refreshing contrast to the hotel. Free Internet is available from the noodle shop which makes no claim to the fact, while the Seven-Eleven welcomes your patronage but does not demand it in offering a Wifi facility that is truly and unconditionally free. Nevertheless, please do be considerate and don’t overstay your welcome at the noodle shop if it is the peak hour. The tiny shop has only four tables which strangers share with one another.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rubbertree
Manager_PH, Manager at Panda Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear rubbertree,

Thank you for staying Panda Hotel and sharing your comments into details.

Regarding the free Wi-Fi, we apologize that our previous reply made you confuse. We recommend you book through our Hotel website next time which ensure you enjoy free Wi-Fi.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Panda Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Olongapo, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I book a room for a family vacation last December. We arrived on the hotel earlier than the normal check in time...Actually, we arrived around 10:00 AM, and the hotel staff did not hesitate to accommodate us to our designated room even though its still early.
The room was not that big, but considering that we're in HK, its comfortable enough for the 4 of us.Its clean and neat, although the walls looks old...
Location wise, its just a few minutes walk to the nearest mtr, which is convenient and very far from the airport.
The only setback is that there is no free wifi...As my kids want to surf the net before sleeping, so we have go to the nearest mtr station in order to avail the free wifi.
Over-all, service is good and will definitely recommend to others....

Room Tip: Some of the lift (elevator) is dedicated to some of the floors, so it doesn't matter which floor...
1 Thank renepets
Manager_PH, Manager at Panda Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear renepets,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel and we are happy to know that you enjoyed staying here. For your next visit, you may try book through our Hotel website and enjoy free Wi-Fi during the stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

We had 2 rooms and 2 wonderful night at this no frills hotel. Being in Hong Kong the rooms are as expected and while all bathroom compliments are supplied we would appreciate white clean towels. Hotel is 14 stations away from Mongkok mtr station and once inside the train it took us slightly over half an hour getting back to the hotel including a good 10 minutes of brisk walking. There are many eateries surrounding the hotel and shopping is located within the same building, very convenient.

Dear 65wgoh,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel and enjoying your stay here. We hope to welcome you again at your next stay in Hong Kong.

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Panda Hotel is near by to Airport and MTR Tsuen Wan as if you planning for Business Trip , best place to stay , Hotel ambiance is also nice , staffs are also very friendly , and best if stay at Executive floor you get Complimentary evening cocktail , pool is clean .

Overall thumbs up for Panda , if you go to stay in Tsim Sha Tsui it will be costly

Room Tip: Executive Floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amitravelfreek
Dear Amitravelfreek,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel. Wish to welcome you again soon!

Isle of Man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed in Panda Hotel for a week in early December 2013. Although it was rather expensive for my budget, I felt that I received good value for money. My room was comfortable and quite large, with no bother at all by cigarette smoke mentioned in another review. I am allergic to smoke, so I would have noticed it. As an aside, in the parts of Hong Kong that I visited there were very few people smoking, certainly much less than is the case in Europe, with just a few people having a drag outside one of the entrances of the hotel or, sometimes, on the foot bridges over the streets.

The breakfast and evening buffets in Panda Cafe were excellent, with a wide choice of both western and oriental food, including versions of some European regional specialities. The evening buffets included a lot of seafood, enjoyed by many guests. I drank in the bar next to Panda Cafe a couple of times, but the drinks were fairly expensive, although I have been told that is the case everywhere in Hong Kong. Fortunately, on the first occasion the very pleasant young man working in the bar told me that it was happy hour!

Internet is available in the Business Centre on the top floor of the hotel, a relative bargain at $15 per 15 minutes. As a bonus, there is a fine view from up there.

I mostly travelled around Hong Kong by train, using an Octopus card that I bought at the airport and received a refund on when I was leaving at the end of the week. Panda Hotel is accessible in about 5-10 minutes walking from two MTR stations, Tsuen Wan and Tai Wo Hau, and is not too far from Tsuen Wan West, either. Panda Hotel is closest to Tai Wo Hau station, as advised by the helpful staff in hotel reception. Travelling on that line allows access to Hong Kong Island. On the first whole day there I made the "mistake" of travelling to the centre in the rush hour, and the train was crowded!

Tai Wo Hau station is also close to Shing Mun Park, a bit of greenery only about 10 minutes walk from the hotel. There is a Promenade at Tsuen Wan West in the other direction, too, which was especially impressive at night with a view of the lights of the buildings round about and across the water.

With never having been to Hong Kong before I was slightly confused after looking at the picture of the hotel on the website. It looked as if it wasn't surrounded by other buildings and, therefore, I would be able to spot it from some distance away. Of course, being Hong Kong the hotel was indeed hemmed in amongst other tall buildings. However, signs along the walkways crossing the roads from the railway stations indicate the direction to walk to reach the hotel, so I had no trouble finding it, tired though I was from an overnight flight from Sydney.

There were two relatively minor problems with my bathroom which I was able to make do with but reported before I checked out.

I had a pleasant surprise on checking out, as my bill for food was less than I was expecting, there being a discount on the quoted prices for guests eating in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear PeelKippers,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel and sharing your comments. We are glad to know that you were satisfied with the stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Your sincerely,
Jerusalem, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Main problem is location. The hotel is far from the center and you have to cross a curving bridge to get to the nearest metro station.
The air condition in the room was freezing. We had a terrible chilly night and the only solution was to turn it off and ask for more blankets..
They also do their best to freeze you at the dinning room, so we had to wear warm clothes for breakfast..
Breakfast is OK
Wifi is not free

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_PH, Manager at Panda Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Shin2,

Thanks for staying at Panda Hotel and sharing your experience with us. We understand that it might be cold during winter, so please do let us know and we will try our best to assist and serve as you need. Moreover, free Wi-Fi will be offered from 1 Jan 2014. We look forward to welcoming you soon again and wish you would have a refreshing experience.

Panda Hotel Management Team

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Melaka, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My hotel stay was great, we were greeted by the staff members and although they are not fluent in English they strive to assist us in getting our rooms checked in. They are really friendly. The location of the hotel may be far off from the city centre but afraid not, they have free shuttle bus for the hotel guest to Tsim Sha Tsui daily and it is very convenient to walk to all the landmarks from the drop off point. Besides that, the hotel has 3 levels of shops below which is convenient. If you would like to experience real Hong Kong meals, just take a short stroll out of the hotels and you will be able to get the food eaten by the locals...

Room Tip: Ask for high floors and newly renovated rooms
Manager_PH, Manager at Panda Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear godm,

Thank you for staying at Panda Hotel. It’s our pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with our services. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future again.

Panda Hotel Management Team