“Very good Hotel, But...”
Review of Panda Hotel

Panda Hotel
Ranked #131 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
U.S.
“Very good Hotel, But...”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I had found a good deal online and booked this hotel for my stay in HK. If you don't mind traveling every day on mtr train to go into the city then I would recommend this hotel. Rooms were always cleaned up by housekeeping as soon as possible. The bathrooms had mildew between tiles but I'm begining to think all HK hotels are like this. Plenty of room amenities you would expect at most hotels. Smooth check-in and check-out. The area the Hotel is located in doesn't offer much to see. Plenty of shopping in the hotel's shopping levels.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 October 2010

People including hotel staffs are rude, especially there are many travel tour groups, elevator hall is a mess! Hotel management is not likely paying attn to the issue, I'd say up to 50 people standing around the elevator lobby waiting around at peak hour, 30 people squeeze into 1 elevator with no sense of waiting on line. Horrible management!

However, room are really good for the value, even tho it's not close to subway station, an acceptable walking distance during winter. I'd recommend this to others if you're not first time coming to Hong Kong. First time, I recommend you to those really convenient location to save you time.

• Stayed November 2009
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 30 September 2010

My first visit to Hong Kong was made special by Panda Hotel. Great rooms at a great price. Great connectivity on the MTR Tsuen Wan line. Get down at the second last stop and a short walk later you will be in the hotel. A large lobby and efficient reception staff. But you may find a queue there at times. The hotel has 800 rooms if I am not wrong. About the rooms again. After Travelocity discount, I got the room at Rs. 2250 only in December 2009. A similar room in India in a major city would have cost me Rs. 8000/- Panda Hotel may be a little away from the Central Hong Kong. But the comfort of a large and comfortable room makes an extra 20 minute MTR ride worthwhile. One note of caution though - There is no free drinking water in the room. So buy a couple of bottles from a Seven-11 before you go in.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I stayed there for 2 nights with my sister. We took MTR from Sheung Wan to Tsuen Wan station. It's pretty hard to find the hotel for the first time. We got lost but got some help from the locals. Our room does not look the same with pictures advertised but it has a very cheerful looking carpet that lifts up our mood. Room size is ok for HK standard. We were happy with the hotel for the first day. Location is not bad as it's quite easy to get to MTR. There are 2 that are very near to the hotel, Tsuen Wan and Tai Wo Hao, the former is slightly further but shaded walk all the way to the lobby.

2nd day I was very unhappy with the receptions. I had wanted to have 1 night extension. I stood at the reception for whole 10min and nobody bothered to talk to me although there were a staff right in front of me. I tried to engage a girl at the reception but she said she was busy and did not bother to look at me or ask someone else to assist me. I was very fed up as the reception desk was empty without any other customers and they did not even show any indication that I was not invisible. Finally after another 10min she finally talked to me (in English). Very unfriendly and I find it very very rude.

If you want to have good dim sum, there's a restaurant at the grd floor. Do not go to the Honorary as the price is very high, food not nice and the staff equally rude. The other one was much better with good service. However, please check your bill b4 leaving as we were charged higher than the menu and they returned the excess to us when we pointed it to the waitress.

Overall, the hotel is ok with reasonable price. I will try somewhere else in my next trip to HK. Wifi is too expensive at this hotel HKD40 per day

• Stayed September 2010
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I reached the hotel by taking a shuttle from the airport which cost me 100$. it was about 25 minutes from the airport.. they did not have a non smoking room available so I was put in a smoking room.. the room had a slight smell of stale smoke which was slighly annoying.. i was upgraded to the executive floor but I have no clue what was so special about it except i had to use the key card in the lift.. The closest MRT station is a 10 minute walk away mostly thought a covered walkway.. the hotel has a map till the MRT..
it is slightly far from the main tourist areas like Central, TST.. a good 12-13 stops away on MRT.. and at night if returning to hotel it costs 100$ from TST using taxi.. as MRT stops at 12:30..
I had a good rate so I cant complain.. paid 440 $ for one night not including breakfast.. which is quite cheap.. room size and bathroom size was decent.. bed was nice.. nothing to complain about really.. was on 23rd floor so was quite high as well..

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I stayed with my boyfriend at the Panda Hotel for 3 days, our purpose in Hong Kong was touristic, sight seeing, etc.
Over all it's a 5 stars hotel in my opinion, but is very far from city center and all the touristic attractions.

GOOD:
The hotel itself is great - we stayed at the 12th floor (non smoking!) in a double room. The room was big, bathroom was also big, with all the toiletries supplied daily - shampoo, hair conditioner, and even ear cotton buds!
There is a free & shining swimming pool and gym, the staff knows good English and breakfast is a buffet.
The hotel is about 5-7 minutes walk to the MTR (subway) station, and is about 4 minutes walk to bus stop A31 direct to the airport (about 40 minutes drive).
The hotel is right above the Pande Center - a shopping mall with a 7/11 and some restaurants.

BAD:
LOCATION. The hotel is located in the New Territories which is about 40 minutes by public transportation (hotel has a free shuttle!) to city center (Tsim Sha Tsui street). It is very accessible - the MTR is 5 minutes walk, and the line is a direct one, but it takes time - and you don't want to nap in the middle of that day because the logistics will take 1.5 hours.
There is no free computer for travelers - unless you travel with your laptop and then you have free WiFi.
There was a tourist information desk that was unwilling to help us in Hong Kong unless we book their offered organized trip which is ridiculously expensive.
The concierge and staff did not tell us about the free shuttle, and first offered to buy the Octipus card (pre-paid card that you can pay with for MTRs, busses and some attractions), and only the day after we bought it we were told there's a free bus from the hotel and back directly to the city center.

Over all this hotel answers all the requirements of a 5 stars hotel, but I will probably recommend it to business people, and not to people who go daily to city center, Tsim Sha Tsui and the Hong Kong Island.
Also, when you check in ask for all the accessories of the hotel - ask about the swimming pool and gym, about the free shuttles (every full hour) and other services you may need, because the staff will not tell you.

Another comment that is unrelated to the hotel: Hong Kong is very accessible and it's very easy to move there - great buses and MTR. Don't be afraid to travel there by yourself.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
chandigarh
Reviewed 28 August 2010

The front office staff is very polite and helpful, something not common in Hong Kong.
the rooms are big and clean. Though a little far from the centre ofthe city ,it is quite near the TAI WO HO mtr station.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business