“Pros & Cons of this hotel”

Best Western Plus Hotel le 18
Ranked #477 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Attleborough, United Kingdom
“Pros & Cons of this hotel”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was on an solo 4 day trip to Hong Kong in Aprillast week. The stay was booked with hotel Ramada Kowloon near central Tsim Sha Tsui. It is conveniently located in Chatham Road South in the heart of Tsimshatsui; and within close distance of the famous Nathan Road; the Hong Kong Cultural Centre; the Waterfront for the Avenue of Stars and the Symphony of Lights show; Kowloon Park; Harbour City Ocean Terminal; the ferry services to Macau.

The bookings for hongkong ( flights and hotel,sightseeing etc) were arranged by Antilog Vacations . Having been travelling from them , I know that they are the best when Hongkong is concerned . Rates and services absolutely good.Booking was done online from their website.

The hotel room itself was ok, it was clean and comfortable but a bit tired and due for a refurb. The only problem I had was that the rooms were advertised as non-smoking however they each had ashtrays in them and when you turned the air conditioning off the room smelt of stale smoke.The best part about the place is it has an Indian restaurant Sangeet opposite to it. So I was lucky to get nice vegetarian food, something hard to find in Hong Kong. Some of the pros and cons-

Pros-

1. Excellent location
2. I did not have any meals at the hotel. This is because there are so many wonderful restaurants outside the hotel.
3. There are two computers in the lobby, on which you can gain free internet access.
4. The Staff are polite and friendly. They are genuinely eager to help.
5 . Cheap rates offered by website Antilog Vacations for a whole package

Cons-

1. I believe the hotel is in serious need of total refurbishment.
2. The hotel is okay but pricey for the room you get.
3. The hotel is no frills with very small rooms and an even smaller bathroom.
4. The hallway outside the room is narrow and musty. The beds are hard but thats standard for Asia.

I suggest everyone to book tours etc in advance to save money

All in all, rooms are too small and in dire need of a refurb (and a bit of a bad example of a Ramada for that reason) but friendly and a good location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Anish M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel with our travel agent because it was rated 3 star. We weren't expecting much considering the rating, but what we got when we arrived there was far below what one would expect from a 3 star hotel. When we arrived it seemed pleasant enough. The staff were pleasant and check in process was quick. We then took the lift to our room. The lift was incredibly small... I actually looked in the lift and thought how am I going to fit our two pieces of luggage in there! The room was very very small and the ceiling was quite low which made it seem even more cramped. The bathroom was ok, but again, very small.
We were given a twin room which was not what we asked for and they could not accommodate us when we asked if we could change. We decided then to move the beds together and when we moved them, we found rubbish underneath the bed. We slept one night in the hotel and I woke up with bug bites. My husband actually squashed a bug that he found on his arm. We tried to get through the night by watching TV but there were few channels in English!
We had booked for 5 nights, but decided the next morning to check out and we booked at another hotel. We booked a 5 star hotel after the Ramada because if this was 3 star, we wanted to make sure we got something a lot better! For 3 star I would expect a little bit more than what this hotel was offering.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Houston
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband had found a good rate at the Renaissance in Wan Chai but I chose this hotel for the location. I needed to stay near a KCR which turned out to be a really long walk. Upon check in I immediately regretted it, the rooms were so small, you can barely move and it is very dark in the rooms. The carpets are old, dusty and I woke up with a bad backache with their old mattress. The next day, I decided to check out even though I had to pay a penalty. We moved to the Renaissance and the contrast is like heaven and hell. Renaissance is 3x more spacious with newly renovated wood floors and nice modern spacious bathroom with a great view of the harbor. Moving to Renaissance was one of the best decision I ever made. I was miserable at Ramada. I was living it at the Renaissance.

The location at the Ramada is not bad, but since Renaissance has access to the Wan Chai MTR, I didn't mind the location and having a platinum status at the Marriott made my experience much better, with free breakfast, lounge access, upgrades to a junior suite, I felt truly pampered.

Room Tip: When you start feeling miserable, there are plenty of other options.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Older establishment, but surprisingly well kept.

Check in smooth, with staff happy to store bags until our room was ready.

The room itself was very small, but pretty much the standard in Hong Kong I believe, although I have seen smaller!

Nothing terribly special about this place, run of the mill older hotel, that's showing it's age, though I would stay again at the right price. Couldn't fault the staff, always very welcoming downstairs in the lobby area.

Located right where it all happens in TST. MTR 5 minute walk away, plenty of cheap eating options around the place, including one virtually under the hotel where you can get a decent meal for $35HK.

If you want to go somewhere nicer, be sure to try Wooloomooloo for a steak or just a cocktail, located at the top of TheONE mall at the end of the street.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2012

If location is what you're after in HK then don't go past this place. Close to the MTR and the tram, you can't beat it! Room was very small. My bed had the thinnest blanket with only a fitted sheet, the air con seemed to have 2 settings...cold and very cold. Great for summer, but not for winter. The bed was very hard, in fact I ended up with a bruise on my hip and ear due to hardness of bed and pillow. I suppose I had expected more as I had just come from a cheaper hotel in China which was a palace in comparison and it was my first time to HK, not sure what the "standard" is, however I did expect more from Ramada brand. Unlikely to return I am afraid.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The hotel is very conveniently located, at the heart of the city's shopping district. The Hotel is big enough, rooms are just spacious enough (according to Hong Kong standards).
We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. The hotel staff are not so welcoming, but are not bad either.
The hotel has no gym/swimming facilities, but does provide a free computer access at the lobby. Wifi was chargeable.
We had our buffet breakfast on all days here, which comprised of juice, cornflakes, milk, pancakes, toast, jam, fruits on the vegetarian side.
The rooms had comfortable beds, and higher floor rooms view were decent with large windows.
Just outside the hotel, there are many money changers, and the hotel is pretty near the hong kong museum of history and science.
The non smoking rooms smelled okay comparatively to the smoking rooms.
Issues with the hotel : Not so great staff, no free wifi, small rooms, and no club facilities.

Tips for stayers: Bargain, Dont take Buffet breakfast for all days(menu remains boring n same), Hunt on Nathan road and nearby for good money changing rates, n finally stay on a higher floor.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Higher floor, n bargain online or with ur agent
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Pratik A
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 February 2012

It's what you could expect from most of the hotel in Hong Kong, and the location are great for shipping, dinning and visiting. close to Metro station, fashion street. Standard size, standard staff.

Room Tip: Non smoking room did have smoke...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business