For context, I have been traveling to/through Asia for more than 35 years and have a broad spectrum of "hotel experiences" (from yurts to the Ritz) to use for comparison. In this regard, the Royal Pacific is a solid if unremarkable hotel - nothing "bad" per se, but nothing to write home about either. Here are a few pros and cons:
1) absolutely convenient - just across from Kowloon Park on the western side of Tsim Sha Tsui and right on top of the China Ferry Terminal. If you're transiting to any place in the Pearl River Delta, this hotel is ideal. Additionally, it's a short walk across the pedestrian bridge through the park into Tsim Sha Tsui proper or you can work your way down to the ground floor and you're straight on to Canton Road - great from a tourist's perspective and shopping.
2) the breakfast buffet is substantial - wide variety of cuisines and the food is of generally good quality. You shouldn't go hungry here. Service is also generally quite attentive and pleasant.
3) tons of restaurants and shops in the neighborhood - nothing's more than a 3-5 minute walk from the Hotel.
4) reasonably easy to get to/from the Kowloon station for the Airport Express - otherwise a taxi from the airport will run between 165 and 200+ HKD.
1) if you stay in the Hotel Wing (vs. the Tower Wing) the rooms are fairly small and do not have desks so if you're on a business trip, plan on working off your lap on the bed as there's really no place to sit. Room has really minimal seating that's not terribly useful for anything other than putting your suitcase on it (which is good, because there really isn't any other place in the room to do so). Tower side rooms are larger - and a good bit more expensive.
1a) the bathrooms are comparably small as well - functional, but you're going to have to maneuver some in them. Shower's decent sized for us larger Westerners, but still not a ton of room to spare here.
1b) as noted, the Tower Wing rooms are generally quite a bit larger and much better appointed - a much better bet if you need room to work or don't want to feel quite so cramped.
2) front desk service can be inconsistent and a bit indifferent - a bit typical of many Hong Kong hotels these days: you get "processed" rather than "served". Nothing overwhelmingly negative here, but if you've ever checked into a hotel and felt genuinely welcomed ... well, don't expect that here. My check in was one of about 5 things the desk agent was doing at the same time and his attention to me was quite clearly the least important of the 5 five ... handed me my key and turned back to a conversation he was having with another desk agent.
3) like many hotels in Hong Kong these days, the aim is to separate as many mainland Chinese tourists from their wallets as humanly possible; given the proximity to the ferry terminal, there are a great many transients moving through the property on any given day. Be prepared for the periodic "Chinese crush" in elevators and such.
4) if you need to spend time over on Hong Kong Island, this is not a particularly convenient hotel - look for something in Central, Admiralty, Quarry Bay, or Wan Chai instead.
Again, there's nothing "bad" or "wrong" with this hotel - it's convenient, functional but understand it's utilitarian and has value primarily for it's location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Canton Road in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui,our hotel borders one of Hong Kong’s most vibrant retail and dining precincts. From this prime Kowloon location, our guests can enjoy postcard-worthy views of Victoria Harbour and explore the best the city has to offer. Within walking distance to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR subway and Star Ferry, The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers is the only Hong Kong hotel with direct access to the China-Macau Ferry. Access to the HK International Airport is also easy and fast within one hour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Pacific Hotel And Towers
- Royal Pacific Hotel Hong Kong
- The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers Hong Kong