“A very nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Arlington, VA
“A very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2009

I stayed at the Royal Park with my wife for 6 nites in December 2008 for vacation. Overall, we thought the hotel was very nice -- with nice rooms and nice common areas. We were upgraded to a superior room at no cost. As far as I could tell, the only difference between a standard and superior was that the superior had a fridge. My only disappointment (and it is minor) is that there was no IPOD player. The gym and pool looked especially nice, although we didn't use either. Service at the front desk and concierge desk was very good and check-in and check-out both went extremely smoothly. We got an excellent rate ($112US plus tax + service charge) on Orbitz, a great site to use since your credit card is not charged until you show up at the hotel (and cancellation penalties are low and generally don't kick in at all unless you cancel 1 or 2 days before arrival). Also, although our Orbitz reservation did not indicate it, our rate included free shuttle service, which some guests apparently have to pay a small fee for. We did not eat at the hotel restaurants but we did order room service once. I had a burger which was fine but my wife had a beef and noodle dish which she did not like at all.

The hotel is connected to three malls that while nearby are difficult to navigate. I do have a couple of tips that could help to simplify navigation. When approaching the malls, the best way to get there is via the third floor of the hotel. There are covered walkways from there. If you want to go to the Shatin MTR entrance you should follow the walkway to the right. When you reach the mall, go down to the first level to enter the metro. There is a 7-eleven adjacent to the entrance. The metro is not far at all, about a 4-minute walk.

The closest restaurants (outside of the hotel) were McDonald's and DeliFrance which are both extremely close if you know where to go. They are both on the third floor of the Hilton Plaza. As you come out on the third floor walk over the covered walkway to the left. After briefly passing thru New Town Plaza you will come to the Hilton Plaza. Both restaurants are just inside the mall, which is not clearly marked, but very close. We thought DeliFrance had an excellent breakfast at extremely cheap prices. Another benefit, it was not busy. Nor was the McDonald's, compared to the one in New Town Plaza (on the fifth floor).

We also found a Ruby Tuesday in New Town Plaza on the fifth floor which we thought was very good. McDonald's was fine for breakfast, but KFC was not of the same standard as in the US. We also ate at the Spaghetti House and Maxim's in the New Town Mall. We did not enjoy either -- Spaghetti House because of the food and Maxim's because no one in the restaurant spoke English so we had no idea what we were eating. We did splurge for one meal. We went to the Intercontinental's Harbourside Restaurant in TST for dinner. The food was a bit below expectations based on the price of $90US per person, but the setting was out of this world. For me, it was worth the price just for the atmosphere. But be prepared for lines at the buffet if you go. We also made the mistake of getting there early; the buffet does not start until 6:30pm. If you do go, make a reservation and go either right at the start or later on to avoid the lines. It is extremely easy to see why the Intercontinental is the No.1 hotel on tripadvisor. The location and setting are incredible.

The most fun we had (other than possibly Victoria Peak) was at the 10,000 Buddas which is a very short (if not confusing) walk from the hotel. We took a cab ($30HKD) b/c we had no idea how close it was. If you walk thru the mall towards the subway entrance and exit left you will see a bus depot. Walk past the buses, down a hill, and make a left at Ikea. The 10,000 Buddas is just a few steps away. It's about a 10 minute stroll, again if you know where you are going. Once you get there you can literally spend a few hours there if you want. Yes, there are 400 steps there, but there is also an escalator at the end of the small parking lot. The escalator was not working the day we were there. But there is also a funicular - and that was working. There is alot there and the more time you spend the more you will discover. There is much more there than first meets the eye. And it is quite peaceful, far off the tourist path.

One of the main reasons I booked the Royal Park was for its location and because of the convenience from the airport. A word of warning on the bus from the airport. We caught the A41 from the airport, or so we thought. Although we stood at a bus stop that was marked as the A41 stop, and my wife and I both saw "A41" on the front of the bus, we somehow ended up on the "E41" bus. I still believe the bus I got on was marked "A41". Regardless when we got off the back of the bus said E41 and you guessed it, we were way off track and ended up having to take two cabs to get back to the hotel. The first cab was not allowed to go to the New Territories. Most bus drivers do not speak English, but if you do take the bus I would suggest asking if the bus is headed to Shatin. They should at least be able to understand that.

Regarding the location of the hotel, as it turned out, because the mall layout is so confusing I did not find the mall to be a big advantage. Also the distance from downtown is quite far. I thought taking the train would be a breeze based on what I had read about the Hong Kong subway. Unfortunately that was not our experience. We did not find the subway easy to navigate, and I have travelled extensively on other systems, and the distance was farther than I imagined. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Kowloon/TST by train. Also do not underestimate the crowds on the subway, even at off peak hours.

On a positive note, taxis were incredibly cheap and we used those quite a bit. The one way fare to TST from the hotel is $100 HKD, or about $13 US, including a small tip. Well worth the money. We also used the shuttle bus a few times but found that it did not run frequently enough to use all the time. The shuttle leaves the hotel once an hour on the hour and picks up from the Peninsula Hotel in TST at 30 minutes past each hour. There is no shuttle at 5:00pm or pickup at 5:30 from TST. The shuttle runs from 7am to 10pm, I believe. We also took a taxi to the airport for our departing flight. The cost was $300HKD including tip of $50HKD. Based on the amount of luggage we had, it was well worth the expense, and about the same as the hotel shuttle would have cost for two people.

Overall, we were not really impressed with Hong Kong. It was too crowded and too tough to navigate. If we were returning to Hong Kong, which I don't expect to, I would consider staying at either the Eaton in Mong Kong or the Harbour Plaza in Hung Hom, both of which are in a similar price range. I can see why some hotels in Mong Kong are highly rated. The area is very busy, but seems to have real personality and yet is not as crowded and unbearable as downtown TST. We went to the Ladies Market there and enjoyed it for its uniqueness. The shopping was decent too. Central was clearly more of a business district with less personality. Hung Hom might be nice just because it is close to the main downtown but not in the middle of the chaos. Also, if you are facing the harbor, you get the tremendous view of Hong Kong Island. The one big advantage to staying at the Royal Park was the size of the room for the price we paid. You probably would not get a room of this size (and quality) for this price elsewhere.

We would also recommend a day trip to Macau. We left from the China Ferry Terminal in Kowloon (which is closer than the hydrofoil service that leaves from Hong Kong Island). Downtown Macau has a nice colonial feel and interesting architecture. After walking around downtown Macau we took a taxi to the Venetian which is several miles from downtown but worth the trip. From the Venetian you can catch a free shuttle back to the ferry terminal. The Venetian, and apparently some of the other large casinos, are isolated from the rest of the island. You can take a free shuttle to the casinos from the ferry terminal but we would recommend checking out downtown first to see the real Macau. You can get downtown very easily by city bus.

One of my favorite things about staying at the Royal Park was using a local laundry establishment, which a previous commenter suggested. The laundry is a bit hidden, but only about a 3 minute walk if you know where you are going. The laundry is in the Hilton Plaza, at street level on the rear side of the mall, basically at the far end of an alley. If you have laundry, it is a great deal. We had a huge load done for $97 HKD. You get it back in 4 hours. The sign is in Chinese and the woman there speaks no English. She did a nice job and my only regret was that I didn't tip her more. It's open daily at 8:00am except Sundays when it opens at 9:00. Closes early on Fridays at 1:30. Otherwise open every day until at least 6:00pm.

If you have reason to stay in or near Shatin, the Royal Park is a great choice.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — distance from downtown HK
Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
12 Thank Paul-SArlington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Metro Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2009

The view from our room was just magnificent. There were the usual buildings typical of HK set against a backdrop of green rolling hills (or low mountains?) and a lake. This hotel is located in a sort of mega complex. It's connected to New Town Plaza, an upscale mall (stores and restaurants were mid to high end), which is also connected to the Sha Tin MTR station. So when you get off the station, you walk through the mall to get to the hotel. It's very convenient, you don't even have to step outside. It's 15 mins. away from Tsim Sha Tsui via MTR. The location is perfect if you want to sleep away from the busier TST area but still have easy access to it. There is also a bus stop right outside the hotel where you can catch the airport bus (and others). We got upgraded to the executive floor at no extra charge so I think maybe our room was a little bit better than the typical standard rooms. The room/bathroom was big, bright, beautiful and perfectly clean. The decor/style is modern with a touch of Asian aesthetics, just enough to make it non-generic. It didn't have any unpleasant smell even though it was a smoking room. The bed was soft and comfy. There was a big LCD TV with cable and both wi-fi and broadband internet was available in the room although I don't know if it's free since we didn't bring a laptop. My husband did use the internet in their business center for a fee (I think HKD40 for half an hour). The staff were friendly and helpful and check in/check out was a breeze. We also found a small playground called Snoopy's World in an outdoor area between the hotel and the mall. My son had fun playing there. It was small but it had a cute water ride, a playground and a diner. It's very photo-friendly because it's decorated with Snoopy and cartoony stuff. Compared to other HK hotels, the price is awesome for all the things Royal Park has to offer. No wonder it's rated as one of HK's top hotels on TripAdvisor. It's definitely on top of my personal list. LOVED IT!

• Liked — Room, Service, Nearby mall/transpo (MTR and bus)
  • Disliked — If you're mostly going to be taking taxis, fares would run high if you're coming from this area esp. to/from the airport
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank princepesa
Bandung, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

The hotel is conviniently located next to the malls and MTR station. There is a MTR line from East Tsim Sai Tsui to Sha Tin MTR. It only take about three minutes to walk, thru the mall, from Sha Tin MTR to the hotel.

The room is standard western 5-star hotel, but I thought the breakfast was lack of variety and the food were tasteless. The third floor is connected to the mall where there are lots of food stalls; but they are lack of seating tables. Be prepare to order the food to go and eat them in your room.

The location of the lifts and lobby is akward since there is a staircase between them; which makes carrying lots of suitcase and children a bit of a hassle. But, besides that, the hotel is great and I am considering to stay in the hotel in the future.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank LivyLiu
sg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

i had a difficult time figuring out how to get to this hotel. but that is more an issue with the system at the airport - than the hotel itself. this is a really nice hotel. the concierge desk people were very good. and the rooms are good. during my stay the first two nigths were great. but on the third night, the night before my big presentation the next day - a couple with a screaming baby moved in next door! so i just sucked it up and went to do my presentation. when i returned i politely inquired to the front desk if i could change rooms... but i wanted a comparable room (wouldn't mind an upgrade for the trouble of packing a day early essentially). so front desk said "okay." then i was taken to my new room -- smaller and further from elevator! in addition, the new room had two burned out lamps and lacked a bathrobe. i don't usually use the latter, so no big deal, but you get my point that they don't pay attention to details. so i told front desk i was not happy. they just said "whatever" and offered to give me the original room back! so basically, i was inconvenienced, and when i politely addressed the issue = i was downgraded (at same price). they insisted the smaller room had a better view?!?! so, i guess i would describe them as a 3 star in four star clothing. in a pinch, good place = because new town plaza is attached; so you can pretty much get anything you want from there, and the MTR has a station in the plaza. also, bus A41 goes right to the front of the hotel. and at the time i stayed there is was a HK$21 trip = good value. the other thing, my original room faced the apartment complex and i got free wifi. when i was put in my new romm, poof, no wifi. and the price for getting the internet is HK$100 a day.

• Liked — clean; free public wifi for rooms facing apartment complex
  • Disliked — front desk not helpful; internet too expensive
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2008

This hotel is up to the standards of any four star property in Asia (which is several steps above the equiviliant in the US or Europe). I frequently travel in the region, usually at high-end luxury properties. If there are two things I value most in any hotel, its uniqueness and flexibility. I hate generic chains, and this hotel is anything but. Its pure class, without being generic- little decorative touches make all the difference. The location is not central (although there is a metro only a 10 min indoor - through a mall- walk from your room), but I was here for a conference at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and the location was perfect. Took only 25 min door to door, including the university shuttle bus.

I stayed on the executive floor, which was definitely worth the relatively small upgrade price. Free breakfast in a private executive room, with at most 2-3 other people was a welcome respite from the chaos of the restaurant downstairs filled with mainlanders. Was also a nice place to wind down in the evening, with snacks that mitigated my need for dinner at all. The food was excellent, the fruit perfectly ripe (often wanna-be luxury hotels will hug the letter, not the spirit of luxury in things like this- providing fruit, but not checking the quality, etc). Fruit in my room. Drinks free from the minibar and available in the executive lounge across the hall all day/night. Free internet included. Great views.

This hotel excels in the details. Fabrics are rich and interesting, everything works perfectly, service is thoughtful but not intrusive.
Biggest fluffiest pillows I have ever had! Tasteful and unique decor.

Only downsides- the airport shuttle, although included in the price of my room, comes infrequently, and they lost my reservation on the way here. Just grab a cab- cheap and quick, especially after a long flight. The hot water was variable from the shower, which had a tendency to go from cool to scalding every 5 min or so, but was manageable once you got used to the tap. Room service food was not very good, but thats to be expected, even in the nicest places in Asia.

One of the best values I have seen- US$160 for the executive room, with tax included. Book from the hotel or the website- its much cheaper.

• Liked — Service, decor
  • Disliked — airport shuttle, food (excluding buffet
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank joycehamilla
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2008

The Royal Park Hotel is a fantastic hotel that aspires to be up there with some of the best in the world, a fantastic entrance with space imposing mirrors marble flooring and golden framed doorways...

An eclectic range of restaurants to from the traditional Chinese/Dim-Sum to a more European restaurant which also doubles as the fantastic buffet breakfast facility and a Japanese Teppanyaki eatery.

Staff were attentive and welcoming and spoke excellent English, tea coffee at breakfast was always refilled quickly and efficiently and we never had to wait for a table either at Lunch or Dinner in the hotel.

Room itself was a tiny bit on the small side to be perfectly honest, this is my only gripe with the hotel and the only point holding it back from a full 5 stars....maybe the room would have been a sufficient/spacious size for two but for three was just the wrong side of comfortable...but only slightly, it really wasn't that much of a worry.

Amenties in room were fantastic, with every need almost being catered for from the dressing gowns in the bathroom to the mini-bar and the big LCD TV, beds were also very good too and room was well decorated throughout, with a special mention going to the spacious Shower/Bath/Toilet facility.

On paper the hotel seems like it isn't in a fantastic location, but we found it to be near perfect...it's not right in the centre of HK so you don't have the noise pollution, smog etc. to contend with but its not far outside the main central area that you feel you're missing out...with Central station being a mere 10 minute MTR hop away.

Another quick mention about the location if you love shopping, you'll love the location as it's practically right on top of a shopping centre!!

Great experience throughout here, and would come back again as i found HK and this hotel very nice indeed.

• Liked — General ambience
  • Disliked — Rooms a bit on the small side for 3
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Saints_B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2008

This is a very nice 4+Star Hotel. It is located about a 15-20 minute subway (MRT) ride from downtown Kowloon in the suburbs, which is really nice in terms of getting away from the noise and crowds. The hotel is connected to a few shopping centers with food courts and supermarkets. The subway (MRT) station is a 10 minutes walk thru one of the shopping centers. Hotel also has a shuttle service to downtown area. Ask for a room overlooking the river. There is a very nice walking/jogging area along the river. Rooms very nice and well appointed. Internet available in room, but I found it to be slow. I complained and they took the charge off (cost is by the minute, to US $12 max for 24 hours). Staff tries to be very accomodating. I paid about US $125/night

• Stayed November 2008