“Space, comfort, service in Hong Kong at reasonable price”
Review of Royal Park Hotel

Royal Park Hotel
Ranked #49 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney
“Space, comfort, service in Hong Kong at reasonable price”
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed here on a stopover from Europe to Australia. We have stayed in Hong Kong before, in town, in Kowloon and at Shatin, but this was the most modern, spacious and extremely comfortable hotel of all and reasonably priced. Great staff, who were friendly and helpful and the hotel is great if you actually want to spend time resting in the room. There is a really nice partly covered swimming pool, steam room and fitness centre, and the hotel is attached by walkway to a very large shopping complex. It takes the same time to get to this hotel as to the hotels in town, just the opposite direction.
I don't know if it is because of lack of visitors because of the swine flu, but they allowed us an early check in and late check out, which made it feel like a holiday, not just a stopover. It was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The lighting in the room was great and the bathroom was enormous with bath and big shower.
I would stay here again even if it were not just a stopover, as there are good subway connections to town. The hotel shuttle to/from the airport is very comfortable and with just 3 passenger capacity felt like a private limo, and costs HK$140 pp each way. If your flight gets in early as ours did, call the hotel the day before and they arrange for a Sunbus hotel shuttle from terminal 2 (5 mins walk undercover) which costs HK$100 pp each way which can just be put on the room, as the Royal Park shuttle service seems to start at 9 am.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank JubesSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
london
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Staff very polite. Rooms are huge - the same size as an average 2 bedroom flat in Hong Kong!

Loved the indoor walk through the plaza to metrolink. Actually not as chaotic as some areas of HK like Mongkok.

Snoopy world right next door for the young kids to run around in.

Gym and pool facilities are adequate.

A few rooms booked in our large group - we all had basic rooms so didn't understand why some had fruit plates on arrival and others didn't.

Didn't book the breakfast buffet but heard it was all good. Cheaper to eat at the local restaurants in the old Hilton Plaza next door instead!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank rosey5nose
Ontario
Reviewed 3 April 2009

We had purchased the long stay package offerred by the hotel to stay 10 nights. Everything is very nice about the hotel. Our package was for the 'Economy Room' but it was free upgraded to the 'Superior Room' (same room type but higher floor) without me asking. Check-in was fast and the front desk staff is very polite. The package includes breakfast for 2 persons, and the food is very good.
The room is spacious and clean. We had an extra bed added to the room and still feel very comfortable.
The hotel location is very convenient, and is yet away for all the usual busy noise you experence in Hong Kong.
The pool is also very nice. The only disappointment is that the pool was closed for maintenance in the last 3 days of our stays.
Thanks for all the positive reviews posted in this site. I would not have chosen this good hotel without all the guildlines from the previous reviews.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank JY_Happy_Traveler
sacramento
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I read all the reviews online before I decided to book this hotel. We booked it under an air/ten nights package for $900. What a great deal and it turns out even better. The hotel room was surprised large, clean and the security system is great. Don't use the hotel shuttle to TST. It costs $14 one way which is too expensive. We took the train which located inside the new world plaza phrase III, it only costs $4-7 each way to TST for four stops or to MOK Kwok East (Where Ladey street is) for two stops. To take a bus A41 to airport only costs $21. The bus is every 20 minutes and the bus stop just in front of the hotel lobby. No need to pay $100 plus for the airport shuttle.
All the staffs are nice in the hotel accept the front desk people. They have no smile and not willing to help. I stayed at TST hotels for all my previous visits. But this hotel is much better, cause it is away from the crowd and easy to get around to the city. Trust me, I am very picky with the hotel that is clean or not and I am totally happy with this one.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank oldtwo
CT
Reviewed 21 March 2009

OK, first of all I'll admit this is a particularly negative review. You know how sometimes one thing really annoys you, so it ruins your entire stay/trip? Well, this is what happened at the Royal Park Hotel in Hong Kong.

Stayed at the Royal Park for a business trip in March and in fact, things started out quite well. Check-in was fine, the Front Desk staff was friendly enough, and walking into the guest room, I was actually quite surprised by its roominess and nice design. By the time I went to bed though, it was all downhill from there. Here's a list:

#1) I woke up in the middle of the night feeling incredibly itchy. After turning on the lights, I noticed a red rash all over my body and a few bug bites as well. I called down to the reception, hoping to get moved to another room. I explained my situation but there was no sympathy whatsoever. Also, the hotel was completely booked, I was told, so I had to stay in my bug-infested room (I just ended up sleeping on top of the covers and got a horrible night's sleep). However, they told me that as long as I packed everything up and left my bags in my room, they would help me move to another room while I was at work the following day (I would just need to pick up a new key at the Front Desk after work).

# 2) When I returned to the hotel in the evening and went to the Front Desk to pick up the new key, they said they could not move my bags because they were not packed. This was total B-S, and perhaps in realtiy, they didn't even try, because my bags were so obviously packed and ready to go! A porter went up to the old room with me and helped bring my bags to the new room. I wanted someone to see that my bags were totally ready! What a total inconvenience and waste of time.

#3) The first morning I went down to eat breakfast, the hostess sat me right next to another couple, even though there were plenty of other empty tables all around the restaurant. I'm talking, RIGHT next to another couple - it looked like I was dining with them!! I couldn't believe it. Just because I was one person dining alone, they felt they couldn't "waste" a dining table on me? Ridiculous.

#4) I never did get a good night's sleep, because even the new room I was moved to had evidence of bed bugs (I still had some bug bites and itchiness). I just ended up sleeping in my work clothes and staying as covered up as possible, and slept on top of the covers. <sigh>

#5) I actually came with two other colleagues on this business trip. When we checked out of our rooms on the final day, all three of us were charged for additional expenses even though we did not drink anything from the mini-bar. We were also charged for breakfast even though it was supposed to be included in the room rate. Very disorganized and frustrating.

#6) The rest are just minor gripes that became notable because of all the other headaches I had: I consider this a business hotel, but no free internet in the rooms; the gym had the loudest techo music in the workout area (so distracting); and oddly enough, there are no outlets in the bathoom!! (they put their hair dryers next to the desk/work area). Weird.

I'll end this review with a few PROS just to be fair: the breakfast buffet was pretty decent; the location was pretty convenient - connected to a shopping mall and a short walk to an MTR station. But that's about it. Overall, I was very disappointed by the service, amenities and staff. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
8 Thank KOinCT
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Thanks so much for the reviews- I was worried we would be let down as we spent the first half of our trip at the Intercontinental Kowloon, but the Royal Park was a pleasant surprise. The rooms are finished to a high standard, and the location is no problem. The MTR connects through the mall (HUGE shopping mall, anything you'd ever want) and it's minutes to anywhere. The mall, MTR stations, trains, public areas were all spotless. If you stay here, don't miss the 10,000 Buddhas temple- it was very cool.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank db2529
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 13 February 2009

After extensive research on Trip Advisor, reading all the reviews on other travel sites, we zeroed in on the Royal Park in Shatin.

Although, slightly away from the touristy areas, it is extremely convenient and the biggest plus is the New Town Plaza, almost in the hotel.

For a first time visitor to Hong Kong, who does not want to go around hunting for restaurants, especially if there are small kids with you, the Royal Park is more than convenient.

Kids want to eat throughout the day and be entertained and there is nothing better than just to be able to stroll across the skyway to the Plaza and have a sea of food and shopping options and for the restless even a movie theatre.

The hotel and its surroundings is a holiday destination in itself without having to bother seeing the other places tourists visit. And by paying a marginal premium, you can assure yourself a really relaxed holiday on the very quiet top floor of the hotel.

And if you buy for 7 days the price is much cheaper than 6 days and a great bargain for all that is thrown into the package.

I will always go back to the Royal Park for a great and real holiday experience to enjoy the fantastic fusion of tranquility, hustle and bustle and the superb connectivity that this great hotel in Shatin offers.

4 Thank RH7PS