“Lost Microsoft Surface Tablet”
Review of Royal Plaza Hotel

Royal Plaza Hotel
Ranked #27 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
“Lost Microsoft Surface Tablet”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I lost my Windows Surface Tablet inside the room. I am sure I always locked my tablet in the safe when I wanted them to clean the room. On the last day I got the room cleaned in the morning and then when I went for dinner, I did not lock the tablet in safe as the room was already cleaned and I was going out only for a quick dinner. When I locked the room I some one like a cleaner looking from another room, but I was not worried as I did not expect cleaner to come to our room during that short time. When I returned I found the tablet missing and complained to reception, Duty Manager came to my room and checked all our baggage. During the time he was checking baggage, I think the cleaner came close to the room and had a peep and went back.

When Duty Manager did not find the tablet he said he will check the CCTV and then called me and said that the cleaner had come to the room for a minute when we were away. That was highly unnecessary in my view. Only after checking the CCTV, Duty Manager has checked the cleaners and did not find anything. In my view it was too late to check the cleaner, as I told him initially that the cleaner saw when we left (However I also told the duty manager that I do not suspect both morning and night cleaners as I did not see them taking the tablet). But I lost the tablet while it was in the room. Duty Manager's first move should have been to check the cleaners, not my baggage and pulling out all beds and blankets. I am not sure why such a big hotel does not have a proper procedure to investigate a lost item.

Then the Duty Manager suggested to call in police and since that was my last night, I politely refused. But he said it will only take 5 minutes and I consented. Then three constables arrived and they too checked our baggage and beds again and took almost three quarter of an hour, not five minutes. One of them probably checked the CCTV also. Finally police gave me a complaint number and that was it. I wish to record this for the benefit of anyone who goes to this hotel to take utmost care to safeguard their property.

Room Tip: Take utmost care to safeguard personal property. I was very happy with the service they provided, bu...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Mohan N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I booked the Plaza Deluxe Family. Pleased with the hotel and the room. Clean. And it's located near to Mongkok and MTR. Will definitely book this hotel again when i come to hongkong for holiday =)

The hotel is within a shopping center with lots of restaurant and fast food, supermarket and shops like sasa.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Split, Croatia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is in good location in Kowloon near metro station, many shops, restaurants..
Fantastic lobby area, very nice and helpful staff on reception. We where upgraded to Club room on top floor.

Rooms are there good size, very nice furnished, with very comfortable bed...great bath, shower. Fast and free wifi.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank FileST
RPHHK, Director of Sales at Royal Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your stay at Royal Plaza Hotel and your positive comments towards our newly renovated room, hotel facilities and the convenient location.

We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the not distant future.
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed at the Royal Plaza for 6 nights last week December 2013, 2 adults and 2 children. Had no issues at all and was very happy and would stay again. Hotel is very clean and modern, stayed in a family room with 2 double beds on the 11th floor. Location of Hotel is very good, located above Mong Kok East Metro Station and the Grand Century Shopping Mall. Forgot to bring our swimming trunks so unfortunately couldn't use the hot tubs or swimming pool. The shopping mall has an excellent food court and also some restaurants. Hotel breakfast had good choices but their are also options in the food court. Royal Plaza also have a free shuttle bus that runs frequently and takes you to within walking distance of the Star Ferry Pier, timetable will be in your room or ask the concierge. Taxi fare from the airport approx. 260 Hong Kong Dollars each way and takes around 30 minutes. Also convenient was the Grayline Tour Desk located in the Hotel Lobby. Staff in the Hotel Lobby were all polite and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Nice room, helpful staff in the lobby and dining room, an excellent buffet at breakfast and dinner. The only problem was that when I arrived at the gym in shorts, t-shirt and running shoes, I wasn't allowed in because "not dressed in sportswear". Strange.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jimmaths
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Travelled with a group of friends and settled on this hotel to accommodate our friends' varying budgets. We arrived on Christmas eve, and were given a room reeking badly of cigarette smoke. The front desk switched us to an executive room on the 19th floor, without accompanying privileges, which was certainly fair enough. Note that their lifts stop at the 18th floor, so one would have to lug their luggages up a flight of stairs to the 19th floor.

We were shown to our new room by a surly bellhop, whose grudging demeanor was the first dampener on our holiday- an accurate indication of the kind of attitude we were to expect over the next several days.

Hotel shares a one-lane driveway which loops around the back of an adjoining mall, so expect some congestion and delays when hailing a cab. Checking out was an extended affair- the hotel seems to be really popular with mainland chinese visitors, and we were kept waiting another 20 minutes after checking out while the hotel staff conducted a sweep of the room to ensure everything was intact. First encounter any of us have had with this S.O.P. in an apparent 5-star hotel.

On the plus side, Housekeeping was obliging and polite with their morning greetings. Room was nicely decorated, with a nespresso machine and a comfortable bed. USB ports and an iphone5 dock were nice touches. The drinks and service in Lion Rock Bar were pleasant too. One of the doormen, York, stood out from his sullen colleagues for his initiative in locating an address for us and directing the cab driver to where we wanted to go, all with a smile.

We visit HK about twice each year, and won't be swayed by budget to return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank CHzhen
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Great atmosphere. Lots of marble tiles everywhere. Rooms nicely organized n spacious for hk.
No locks on bathroom doors.
Motorized blinds on washroom so you can view entire room from the bathroom.

Friendly staff n helpful. Should of made guest aware of construction.

Construction in shopping mall so be prepared not to sleep in due to noise. Good variety avail for shopping including a supermarket for groceries and cooked food.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Kenster777
Thank you for your positive comments towards our newly renovated rooms. Your compliments will definitely motivate all the hotel staff to keep on delivering the best service as we can.