“Great Experience”
Review of Royal Plaza Hotel

Royal Plaza Hotel
Ranked #25 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We were a group of 5 adults and 2 kids and we had booked 2 family rooms, which were quite spacious. The good thing is the location, the famous Ladies market is just a five mins walk plus there is a big shopping mall which is connected to the hotel, which has got a good food court. This hotel has a regular bus service to the star ferry point, so there was no problem in commuting too. The buffet breakfast which was a part of the package was very scrumptious and had a wide variety. Only while returning from star ferry to hotel one had to match the bus timings which were once every hour or one could take a taxi which used to cost HKD 40. The staff was quite courteous.

Stayed: December 2008
3  Thank Anuj N

Reviewed 30 May 2009

I've always stayed at this hotel everytime i go to Hong Kong. last year just b4 the olympics08, stayed for 2weeks... room is very modern, with LCD tv, tea and coffee making facility,fridge, air conditionin, u can set at ur temp. It is at a very central location easy reach of the main shopping markets, if u know the area. its beside a shopping mall, so instead of wastin ur money on breakfast at the hotel, just go over to the food court in the shoppin mall, it has a wide variety of choices, and alot cheaper. thers a cinema as soon as u walk through to the mall frm the hotel, which is great. the train is exactly frm the shoppin mall, if u take it to Sha Tin, it stops at another shoppin mall which is alot bigger than the one beside the hotel. mong gok central is bout 15minutes walk frm hotel thru the shoppin mall. or if u cnt b bothered walkin, share a taxi, it wudnt jump as it so close so it cost bout hk$15. overall is a great hotel, for central location, easy reach of anything. wud definately stay ther again!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank asian_brit
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Loved the fact hotel is next to cinema and shopping mall. (McDonalds and KFC in the food court). Easy to get cabs to and from hotel. Airport Express has a free shuttle that runs every 20 minutes between hotel and Kowloon Station. The hotel also has a shuttle bus that runs throughout the day and early evening to Tsim Tsa Tsui (next to Peninsula Hotel). If that is not enough, the MTR Mong Kok East station is next door and one can travel to New Territories, Shenzhen, or go to Tsim Sha Tsui East Station for a easy interchange to MTR trains going to Hong Kong Island. I found the breakfast buffet price to be quite expensive but they did have a great selection. Bathrooms have good water pressure and hot water, good air conditioning, and each room has a fridge and mini bar.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank river_plate_94
Reviewed 23 May 2009

The staff at checkin were really friendly and helpful.. The MTR has free airport bus transfer from Kowloon station to this hotel which is a big bonus. Great location for shopping as located next to large shopping centre and Mongkok shopping area. Good value as well.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2009

We picked this hotel after reading reports that the rooms were good sizes and at 6ft tall this was important to us. We got a great deal by booking through the hotel website and got a 2 for 1 nights in a suite. Room clean and spacious, just a little cool in temperature.

You are slightly out of town but only 10 minutes from the hustle and bustle on the Metro, which is located close by.

When we arrived at the airport there were lots of taxi touts but at the taxi exit there is a information point and they will write down your location in Cantonese, advise you on the right colour taxi to get and give you an estimate price for the fare.

The weather was really poor for the days we were there and we didnt get to do the usual tourist trail. However we did have a couple of great nights out in the cocktail bars in and around the Penninsual Hotel. We found these places by asking expats in bars we visited in and around town.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTRoods
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I chose this hotel because of the descent reviews. Although the lobby was nicely decorated and the rooms were nicely fashioned, I felt right away that our every move was being monitored. You can't even get on the elevator without someone asking from your name and room number. Which I guess is okay for security reasons, but when we went to breakfast the next morning someone stood over us until we paid. It almost felt like they thought we were going to walk out. It was really annoying. We felt like we were being watched all the time. The electricity in the room would brown out several times a day. Unfortunately, I had to make several calls back home to check on a sick relative. The connection was poor and I kept having to be reconnected by an operator. I was charged $5.00 each time and even after I explained that I was getting disconnected they didn't waive any fees. Also, I was charged 80 cents a minute when I was told that the rate was 8 cents a minute. When I tried to dispute some charges on my bill I was told that I would be arrested by the Front Desk manager if I didn't sign my receipt. Unfortunately, Amex didn't do anything for me. Overall it was a miserable experience. It was too far from Nathan Rd and the Jade markets. We had to take 2 trains to get there. The flower market and ladies market were nearby, but there wasn't the deals that I was expecting in China (no fault of the hotel). Unless you don't mind the overbearing security, the wiring problems, the phone line problems, the expensive rates and overpriced buffet, I wouldn't recommend staying at the Royal Plaza.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We stayed at Royal Plaza Hotel in April 2009. Everything was perfect. The prices were much cheaper than any other five star hotel. we got the executive upgrade for about $60 AUS extra. This is excellent value if you want internet round the clock, good breakfast, afternoon tea and alcoholic drinks in the evening. Plus snacks (more like meals) at anytime throughout the day. You would not have to buy any other food the whole stay and it was all very nice. The rooms were large (a family room with kitchenette-easily fit three people if neededand a deluxe room)and very comfortable and the service was friendly and always helpful. The pool/spa/gym were first class also.The location was great for us. one train ride to shenzen (25 minutes) from station under hotel and a short walk to prince edward station to train line over to island etc. A shuttle service was handy to get to TST if you don't want to get train. The hotel is across the road from flower and bird markets which are lovely to visit early morning and easy walk to Ladies market plus a few other markets. Personally I think this is a better location than down in TST which is to touristy and noisy. Also buy the octopus card on arrival at airport. it is very useful with transport etc so you don't need to stand in long lines. I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay there again myself if I go back to HK in the future. I telephoned before booking and got a cheaper rate than internet price so maybe ring first and check prices.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family