“Overall Great Experience”

Ranked #34 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Vancouver
“Overall Great Experience”
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Stayed the last 4 nights and was very comfortable. I prefer the location as it is out of the tourist traps of TST, and if you do want to visit that area there is a shuttle (I never used it). There is easy access to the MTR with Mong Kok East station pretty much right beside the hotel, actually you don't even need to go outside. Also a free shuttle to and from Kowloon Airport express station, or it is a short cab ride.

The hotel room on the Executive floor was large for the price. The breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening drinks were good. A couple of nights I pretty much made my dinner that as there was more than enough to choose from.

The ammenities were good. The pool/hot tub was great. The only problem I had was the in room wireless was slow, but it was manageable. I actually had trouble connecting to the internet when I first arrived, but I was impressed at the level of service provided to fix the situation. The Duty Manager that night probably spend a half an hour getting my laptop connected for which I was very greatful.

All in all, I will definately be staying here again and avoid all the tourist traps. This is great value for the money.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I looked for ages for this hotel, and was referred to it by both my travel agent and a friend who visited a year before. It looked very expensive and took me many nights surfing the net to find the best deal: zuji £46/night superior dbl bed inc. 10% discount and 2 day free breakfasts. I booked a month in advanced, gave then a couple of requirements ( rooms closeby to friends, non smoking, not on ground floor etc) and upon arrival, i was greeted by a grande entrance and a handful of bellboys eager to greet and help us with luggage. Check in was very smooth, and although we paid for the lowest graded room, we were upgraded to a deluxe without asking along with my 3 other friends! We was quickly shown to our rooms, floor 15, ours right near the elevators. huge bed, luxurious bed sheet, gigantic window with a view of the hotel pool below. The bathroom was clean, marbled, complimentary soaps etc. There is a mini bar, long mirror, chest of drawers, wardrobe, safe, coffee table, sofa, TV, dressing table, office desk and chair,internet, huge curtains and bedside tables. aircon/ heating also comp. to rooms.Everything was free apart from the minibar. It was pure luxury especially when so humid and hot outside.
The pool and gym was free to use, pool was great, not may people there so quite relaxing for sunbathin as there is not a beach nearby. There is also a jacuzzi next to it. Mind in the summer the floor is red hot!
The cleaners were superb, tip them a little, they will make sure you are well looked after and top up all your little soaps everyday and keep your room looking sparkling!very friendly too.
The staff at the desk were extremly helpful. We lost one of our friends one night and in a panic, got the hotel staff to help us find him at 3am and they used every means to help us. When we checked out (we booked a second holiday to Thailand for 6 days) we had to book another 2 nights in HK after and did this online whilst in Thailand about 4 days in advanced and still managed to get £50/night (£25each) at Royal Plaza although enquiring at the desk to book before leaving, we were told it would cost $1500+ (£100+ per night!
Upon return, the staff remembered us and greeted us. However our booked rooms were not available til 4pm (We checked in at 12pm) so were told to wait 4 hours. We just blagged a little, the manager came out and immediately upgraded us to the top executive floor!!=D
We got up there with our gold executive cards and as we entered we were more amazed than our last time. Black marbled flooring, slick larger toilet and bath/shower, gorgeous huge view with electronic curtains, kitchenette, huge bed larger room, and more complimentaries such as bathrobes and upgraded ammendities.
We was getting a lot paying £25 a night!! It made our first hotel experience in hong kong well worth it.
Free shuttle bus to TST and airport express(pay a little more for mtr from there to airport but helps as bus carries luggage for you and free of charge)
A short 10min walk on bridge to Mong Kok central of a million shops, Eateries, bars and entertainment. There are 7/11 and K stop shops 24/7 for convenience snacks etc. all nearby. There is entrance from hotel direct to a shopping mall with loads of shops, and there own food court. Open till 9/10pm and public path thru to hotel open til 12am.
10 for convenience, luxury, staff, cleanliness, value, location….will be come again? Most certainly!!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrissyGBC23
India
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Our stay during the New Year's eve was excellent. I specially liked the central location of the hotel with the Grand Central shopping complex and quite close to most tourist attractions of Kowloon island.

I was equally impressed by the helpful nature of Hotel staff in helping us identify tourist spots and giving directions. I'll definitely recommend to my friends.
JILLS DANIEL, India

• Liked — location,
  • Stayed December 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
Sydney
Reviewed 10 June 2009

We stayed here at the end of May with our 2 children (ages 7 and 9). I initially booked a Superior Room at a great rate through www.booking.com and when we arrived we were offerred an upgrade to the Executive Club for just A$55 extra per day.

We took up the offer and are so thrilled that we did because it was worth every cent and represented sensational value. We had access to all the wonderful facilities of the Executive Club Lounge which included WiFi, Internet and PC access, light meals, drinks and drinks throughout the day, personalised check-in and check-out and any assistance from the Club Level employees who were all fantastic and discounts to all other facilities and restaurants in the hotel. In addition the upgrade included the option of indulging in the enormous and delicious buffet breakfast at the Hotel's main restaurant La Scala which is always packed with hotel guests and locals, no matter what time of the day (a good sign). For the 4 of us, it was a bargain!

Other reviewers on this forum have complained that they were upgraded but without the privileges or complained that they were not upgraded at all- but I don't agree with their "something for nothing" attitude, especially when the cost to upgrade is next to nothing when comparing how much it would cost in Sydney to upgrade to an equivalent room in an equivalent hotel. Get over it!

Our room on the Executive Floor was huge by HK standards and gorgeous and equipped with a large LCD TV and huge safe to store your laptop. The bathroom was larger than any of my bathrooms at home (and we don't have a small house). The view was overlooking Prince Edward Rd West and the Flower Market as well as a neighbouring school which really interested my kids, especially as MongKok is a place that never sleeps and even the children attend school on weekends (much to the horror of my kids). The curtains were motorised which of course provided a great source of amusement and distraction for the children.

The location of the Hotel is the main reason why I chose to stay here. Within 7 minutes walking distance you can reach MongKok MTR and/or Prince Edward MTR which take you directly to HK island. The MongKok East MTR station is right underneath the Grand Century Place shopping centre which is attached to the Hotel. That's 3 MTRs! Also the MongKok East MTR interchanges with the KCR which is the train you take to go shopping in Shenzhen (Lo Wu station).

The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle bus to Tsim Sha Tsui but we preferred to walk and meander through the shopping centre and MongKok on the way to the MTR station. The public transport in HK is incredibly efficient and there's no waiting around for the next train. Just arrive at the station and an MTR will be there or if not, shortly!

The Grand Century Place shopping centre has a multi-complex cinema, department store and hundreds of clothing and shoe stores. Not to mention great restaurants, small local eateries, bakeries and a large food hall. It's no the biggest shopping centre in HK but definitely suited all our needs and was so convenient to be located next to the Hotel.

Also within short walking distance of the Hotel is the Flower Market, Bird Garden, Fa Yuen Street (markets), Goldfish Market, and the brilliant nightlife of Mongkok Ladies Market and Mongkok area in general. Lots of delicious food to be eaten all through MongKok!

The Hotel's pool and fitness centre were also fantastic. The gym equipment was all new and with a large range of cardio equipment. In each change room there are showers, steam room and sauna as well as a special machine to spin dry your swimming costume. The kids loved the pool with its piped underwater music.

As for dining options at the hotel, there are plenty. But we only ate at La Scala and the Executive Lounge. Judging from the number of locals dining at the hotel restaurants I would assume that the food is definitely up to scratch. During our stay a wedding was taking place in the Hotel which was lovely to witness and we shared the lift with the bride.

My only complaint - and this has nothing to do with the hotel or staff - is that the twin beds in the Executive Room were too small to sleep 2 to a bed comfortably.
My husband and I managed but our children took turns sleeping on the chaise lounge (or the floor as was the case for the elder child) and the bed.
I think had we been in the Superior Rooms the beds were bigger (I had measurements emailed to me before we booked) but then we would have missed out on the luxuries of the Club Floor.

Overall we LOVED our stay at the Royal Plaza. We would definitely stay here again and especially on the Executive Club floor. We have been totally spoiled and can't go back!

PS - As previous reviewers have mentioned there is the issue of having to share the Executive Lounge with the "unsavoury/gluttonous tourist" but what can we do about that? Nothing - they paid their money just as the rest of us have.
We did notice them but it didn't ruin our wonderful holiday. Just look away and out the window!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank tric0660
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 June 2009

My company puts us up at this hotel because of cost and location near KCR train, and I have stayed about 12 or 13 times over the last several years. At first, I hated it. At times I have run across loud trashy tour group guests with children, ear splitting lounge singer/act in the lobby, loud door slamming early in the morning by housekeeping staff. But after a while, and if I stay on the club floor and can use the executive lounge without too many of a certain "unsavory/gluttonous" variety of tourists in it, the hotel can be homey and welcoming.

Its sits adjoining the Grand Century shopping mall, which also houses a KCR train stop so its super easy to walk in air conditioned comfort from hotel to mall to train and take easy 40 minute trip to border of china when needed (Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau in Shenzhen).

The rooms are supersize compared to most Hong Kong rooms-- really low priced, clean and have nice amenities and sort of a view of the area. But some people don't like to stay in Mongkok-- not as full of westerners as the Hong Kong side or Tsim Sha Tsui. But I kind of like it. You can walk across the street to the Po Street Bird Garden, take in a movie in the mall, walk down to the goldfish, ladies, or night markets, or eat at a wide variety of restaurants in the mall also such as "Simply Thai"-- one of the better ones.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Traveler_Ms_M
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I have spent one night in this hotel on a short business trip to Hong Kong - my first visit. I booked an executive room, and was delighted to be upgraded on arrival into a deluxe suite which was very extravagent, but nevertheless lovely.

The room was huge with panoramic views, a living room which was good to hold meetings in around the table which would have sat up to 6 people. It had a guest bathroom and kitchenette facilities.

The bed was vast, as was the bathroom with a sunken bath and double sinks.

The executive lounge was pleasant enough, with a wide range of dimsum and hors d'ouvres, and complimentary drinks. Staff are attentive and helpful. I had various documents to post which they did without delay.

The business centre is well equipped. I would have liked to have spent longer here to take advantage of the pool, but the location meant that for such a short stay I was very rushed. I would certainly stay here again on a longer trip - it is good value for money, clean and roomy. I didn't venture out of the hotel other than for business meetings due to a really tight schedule, but apparently various tourist attarctions are nearby.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Mumbai
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We were a group of 5 adults and 2 kids and we had booked 2 family rooms, which were quite spacious. The good thing is the location, the famous Ladies market is just a five mins walk plus there is a big shopping mall which is connected to the hotel, which has got a good food court. This hotel has a regular bus service to the star ferry point, so there was no problem in commuting too. The buffet breakfast which was a part of the package was very scrumptious and had a wide variety. Only while returning from star ferry to hotel one had to match the bus timings which were once every hour or one could take a taxi which used to cost HKD 40. The staff was quite courteous.

Stayed December 2008