“Not a bad hotel, if you're on a budget.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Royal Plaza Hotel

Royal Plaza Hotel
Ranked #33 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
New York
“Not a bad hotel, if you're on a budget.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

It's a fairly old hotel. Our room was rather stuffy. It could have been cleaned a bit better, from my perspective. Main doors were not sound-proof (you could hear the aisle conversations through the main door, from you bed). However, the room was big for HK standards.

Staff was okay, but would always have the same description of Cantonese hospitality.

The hotel was linked to a regular mall. A fairly good walk to the night market and the Mongkok Station, but right next to the East Mongkok station (off a different line).

I love the free shuttle bus that would take you to the TST area. It's convenient and usually available.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

Last minute flight to Hong Kong, booked my flight tickets one day before departure and travelled with my 2 younger siblings aged 21 and 14. Managed to find this hotel with one remaining available room and booked it. Stayed in the superior room from 13 - 17th March 2010. No complaints overall though the cost of the rooms are steep. From the airport, better to take their local bus that stops near the hotel rather than to pay so much for the train. Loved the location of the hotel. Located directly above Mongkok East line and walking distance to Mongkok and Prince Edward MTR. Also situated just above the Grand Century Place which is pretty much a high-end shopping complex with a really good cinema just footsteps away from the hotel lobby. We did not have breakfast incl as we found it too expensive (36sgd per person per day). However from the hotel it is just 5 mins away from everything, ladies market, Langham Place (15 storey shopping mall), flower market, and good eateries nearby so food isnt a problem. Would definately stay here again. We stayed in a superior room, came with 2 double beds. Good view of a school, and rooms were large and spacious for a hong kong hotel. Only disappointment is that the tv has more hongkong or chinese based programs and the only english ones are bbc or cnn. no movie channels. other than that, no complaints at all! :) loved it. :)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Kansas USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

I had a great stay at the Royal Plaza - I reviewed other comments before going there. I stayed 7 nights. The room was located on 15 th floor. The room service was great. Room size was average for USA, but maybe for Hong Kong it was large. Location good. The only negative side was the cold style friendliness. But toward the end – the hotel staff warmed up. Kenny the head waiter at the lounge was always friendly, and the Filipina singer was nice. Food was good also for morning and evenings.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank 007USA
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

I traveled with my family and booked the family package, which includes 1 king and 1 double bed in a big room, HKD$250 food voucher and welcome drinks at their restaurants. It costs HKD$1086 inc tax. Not bad for a family. It is a cheaper option, considering that I may need two rooms in other hotels.

We arrived 6:00am and there was only one staff at the reception. She was busy answering phone calls (may be the guests) and helped me to check-in at the same time. The room was big but the double bed is just a bit larger than a king-sized single, and the king size bed turns out to be a queen size bed. The bathroom is the right size, but the vanity was huge and I found it difficult to close the door. In terms of space, I have more than enough space in the room to put my luggage.

I stayed in two separate rooms in this hotel, because I traveled to Macau and back. I stayed in two rooms and both toilets didn't work - one cannot flash and one has water dripped the whole night. My husband actually opened the toilet tank and fixed the toilet.
Besides, I was accused by the cleaner of taking two hand towels when housekeeping took away three hand towels and forgot to replace two. There was a price list stating that they will charge HKD$50 per hand toilet in the room. I was surprised to see that and complained to the reception. Instead of an apology, they asked me if my daughter hide the towels somewhere. This is the first time I ever experienced this - a hand towel is more important than a hotel guest who stayed 7 days, spending at the restaurants and tipping their staff. No idea what they were thinking...

Anyway, in terms of location, it is convenient. If you need to go to Mongkok or you need to find a place with 2 beds for your family, this is budget accommodation. However, don't expect more from the staff. Their service is really average compare to the hotels in stayed in Australia and New Zealand. This is not the kind of hotel for couples who wants a relaxing/romantic getaway and people on a business trip who needs a no-frills hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank smartmeow
philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

We were overwhelmed by the room.It had all the amenities we could ask for. It was clean. We had no problem with the noise or the smell that I read about in all the other reviews. The room was big considering that most hotel rooms in Hongkong were fairly small. I liked the fact that it was connected to everything. It was connected to the Grand Century mall,the MTR was downstairs and the walkway going to Mongkok market was on a nearby floor.Everything was in reach. When we were wasted by all the touring that we did during the day, we could watch the last movie show at Grand century mall and just slip to our room late at night. We stayed there for the holidays. Our first christmas away from home and we enjoyed it except for...
It really didn't bother me that most of the people at the reception desk were not friendly. I know I'm just used to being served with a smile the way we Filipinos do it so I guess I'm not expecting them to be like us. But charging us HK$100 for a movie we supposedly watched at around 1-2 in the wee hours of the am. WOW! very inhospitable. We asked how can they be sure that we watched that movie. They can't explain how.I don't exactly remember the title but they said it was an action movie. They said maybe our little girl pressed the movie button on the remote.How can that happen when she was asleep at around 8pm. My husband and I slept at around 10 pm.It was such a mystery. How can we watch that late when we spent the whole day walking around the admiralty side of HK? We were too tired to do anything since we squeezed in everything we could do on our last day. When we asked them questions on how that could happen they could not give us a decent answer. It was futile to pursue the issue since the receptionist did not speak or understand english that well.Well what else could we do but pay for a movie we didn't even see. I would have ranted but it was Christmas and we could miss our flight so we paid up...unwilling victims the we were. Was it a scam? a ghost? a wrong connection?
Would I recommend this hotel? If you were only there for shopping...do. But if you were there to see the well known sites stay at the other side of Mongkok. Most of the tourist spots are far from this hotel. And next time tell them you would like to be informed if someone or anyone from your room is pushing some buttons to watch a movie or a ghost might watch it for you and charge you a HK$100.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank chocnut216
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed at the Royal Plaza for five nights in February, 2010. This hotel is in the heart of the Mong Kok area of Kowloon. For those not familiar with this area, it's one of the most densely populated parts of Hong Kong and is vibrant 24/7. The streets can be crazy to the wee hours, but nonetheless, the area has a lot of character and charm.

The hotel is very well connected. It's adjacent to Century Plaza which has many nice shops and restaurants. It's connected to the Mong Kok East MTR stop and only a short distance (by covered walk) to the Mong Kok MTR stop. Hong Kong's rail system is great and very inexpensive. Nathan Road and the street markets are very close as well.

My room was of good size and no complaints about its cleanliness. Overall, the service was good and I can't think of any major issues. Considering the reasonable cost, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Cheltenham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

Stayed at the Royal Plaza, whilst husband went to mainland on business. The idea was to go shopping/sightseeing for the week. Unfortunately I had a broken foot at the time and couldn't get out much. But the staff were eager to help and nothing was too much bother for them. The bedroom was large, airy and very clean, although housekeeping could be a little persistent in trying to persuade me to have my room made up, even when I was still in my pyjamas!!
Large shopping centre to hand, right on the hotels door-step, so if you get bored of the hotel food, plenty of vaiety, right next to you.
If I had known before I booked it, that I would have a broken foot, I would have stayed somewhere more like Kowloon bay. But as it was, this hotel was good. The streets round the hotel are fun and interesting. Check out Lady Market for cheap goods (ie fake!!! but good ones!) .
A good hotel for a short break, not the most atmosheric but what did I expect from a huge hotel anyway!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends