Silvermine Beach Resort
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfast ferryferry piersea viewbig buddhaincluding breakfastngong pinghk islandbuffet breakfast isnoodlesmuiwobusairporthongtaikowloonmandarin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My daughter, granddaughter and I went here for lunch today and will not go back. We waited at least half an hour for them to take our order, and to make that happen my daughter and I both at different times tried to flag down a server. Finally I went and stood next to one at another table until she paid some attention to us. To be fair, a number of tables filled up around the same time, which was about 12:30, but shouldn't a beachside terrace cafe expect this at lunchtime? For the longest time there seemed to be only one server tending the entire long row of tables, about a dozen, many filled with large groups.

Initially we planned to go for the afternoon tea set ($138 for two) but that didn't start until 2, and we were already hungry. But we discovered the same tea set on the dessert menu (go figure) for $168, so ordered that. It was 1 1/4 hours from the time we sat down until the food arrived, and I can assure you it wasn't worth waiting for.

The first sign of food delivery was ONE cup of lukewarm, weak coffee and we had to point out on the menu where it says "afternoon tea for two with tea or coffee" which leads one to believe that two beverages come with "tea for two". A seriously barely drinkable "beverage" that, by itself, costs $35 ($5US)! After another long wait a second cup of coffee arrived, and about 15 minutes later the food items, and no coffee refills were offered, so lousy coffee was finished long before.

There was one club sandwich cut into four pieces (luncheon meat, omelette, tomato, cheap sweet mayo on toasted white bread - a very typical Hong Kong sandwich) plus half a dozen or so small, mediocre sweet items such as a piece of dry bread/cake with candied peel in it, a very small raisin scone (stale), two tiny fruit/custard tarts, two cupcakes, an apple tart, and I guess that's it. Any cream was artificial, everything was dry, and nothing tasted like much of everything. And this was $168HKD plus 10% SERVICE CHARGE for the worst service imaginable! And, to add insult to injury, when the bill arrived it showed $35 for an extra coffee. We had to argue with them that "tea set for two" includes two beverages. This seemed to be news to both the server and the guy who was consulted on the matter. We finally got that straightened out and paid $185 ($24US) for this disaster.

The best thing about this place is that it's right across the street from the beach where my granddaughter and I were able to go for a walk while my daughter sat at the table dying of hunger.

Please learn from our mistake and don't waste your time and money like we did!

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KateinVancover
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The Silvermine Beach Resort offers a tranquil escape after a hectic day in Hong Kong. It's a short 5 minute walk from the Mui Wo ferry terminal on Lantau Island: the fast ferry to HK city is 30 min and the slow ferry is 45 min. Fare is cheap and you can use your Octopus pass. The big Buddha is on Lantau Island, as is the Tai O fishing village. You can easily spend a relaxing day poking around the island and the bus service is good. Beach in front of the resort is clean.

The hotel is a 2* and that is apparent in the reception area, hallways and restaurant. Breakfast is included but don't bother with it, it's sub standard. Grab coffee and a muffin at Starbucks in Pier 7 when you get to HK city and you'll be much happier. Ask for a room that has been redone. The rooms are basic, no frills, but clean although the cleaning service is sporadic.

The Turkish restaurant in the village of Mui Wo has great food at a reasonable price. The owner is a gem. Try it and enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathy L
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed on Lantau island to be close to family; although when we tried to check in they couldn't find our booking this was soon remedied. We had 2 excellent rooms overlooking beach on first floor; beds were huge and comfy with the bathroom nice & modern. Breakfast downstairs in dining room was good with plenty of choice. Mui Wo is so convenient for fast ferry into HK. So all in all a good choice. Staff were friendly & helpful. Only downside no lift to 1st floor

Room Tip: first floor overlooking beach a "must"
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Hotel staff don't seem to understand the concept of service. The receptionist pretty much demanded that I pay once I checked in. Thought maybe it was the language barrier so I brushed it off. But service lapses just kept happening.

Called asking if they have a laundry bag we could use and they quite curtly said no. I then asked if they had the next day laundry service as stipulated on the hotel menu and they said no again.

Their kitchen technically closes at 11pm but they had no more ingredients to make a club sandwich and many other dishes at 10.30pm. Ordered a lasagna instead. The manager comes out 5min later with a frozen piece of lasagna and says it will take too long to defrost and that the kitchen staff need to go home. Tells us to order something else, as if it's our fault for being hungry so late.

Hotel staff only seem to tidy the rooms at around 3pm, and they don't bother asking if you even want the room cleaned.

The hotel has a so-called sports bar on the ground level that closes at 11pm. Walked towards the al fresco beer counter at 9.50pm and the waiteress turned the television away, saying I can buy a beer but I cannot watch football. I know I was the only customer but it's pretty ridiculous that I have to go back to my room to watch the match that was on when that same television at the bar had the football channel.

The rooms are pretty decent and the location is great. But for the kind of price and atrocious service, I'd rather stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Alywin C
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Location: Perfect if you want to get away from the chaotic city. The hotel has a fantastic beach view (and i'm not much of a beach person) and it's barely a stroll away from Mui Wo jetty.

The room: I had the 'mountain view' room since i won't be in the room much. It had two separate beds and a folded bed cramped into a small space. I could barely move in there. The bed lamps were not working (i didn't mind the dimness). No mini bar. Two sachets of tea. Barely anything in the bathroom. Sufficient pillows and blankets.

*While walking along the corridor, i managed to peek into a "sea view" facing room during housekeeping. They were much bigger and have newer amenities. Really depends i guess*

Cleanliness: Decent.

Misc: What?! No wifi?! HKD100 per night for wifi? At this modern age, we shouldn't be paying for wifi... Swimming pool was closed because it's winter/spring/cold. Breakfast was provided in my package. But i would highly recommend to skip the breakfast and explore Mui Wo for local options. It's the same stuff EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. The only saving grace was you get to sit outside al fresco style and enjoy the view. Other than that, i wouldn't pay for the breakfast.

Would i go back there again?: Yes. Just because i love Mui Wo and Lamma island so much.

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay for the "sea view" rooms, get those. If you are going to use the room just for sleeping, a normal "mountain view" room is good enough.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo