My 2 star rating is NOT because Gold Coast is a disappointing experience. It is because Gold Coast is not a "HongKong-ian" Experience...! I write this review to ward off people who are traveling to Hong Kong for the 1st time especially and want to experience the culture of the city...!
Why does one actually go Hong Kong...?! I'm certain its for the wonderful vibe of walking down Ladies Street at Mongkok or the Avenue of Stars in Kowloon, for the street shopping and the smells of the city! Gold Coast offers none of these experiences...!
Just so you know, Hong Kong is divided into 3 main territories. Ideally stay in Kowloon Peninsula...! However you can keep travelling between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon...! The 3rd territory is Tuen Mun (New Territories) which is where Gold Coast is located and my, the place is really really really far...! When the earlier reviewers say 20-30 mins to city centre, I beg to differ...! Please take into account the traffic and the signal stops, and you're easily wasting 45 mins one way...! So an hour and a half literally goes in wasteful travel...! Not to mention the money...! 30 HKD per head...! (A family of 4 ends up spending almost 200-240 HKD in a day just getting to the city!) Even the metro stop is a good half hour way...!
So yes, the resort is beautiful, with lovely lush gardens, a swimming pool and a beach, but think about why someone would travel all the way to another country for...?! Such weekend resorts can be found in your own country, sometimes in your own backyard...! Spending so much money, going to another country, always means imbibing their local flavour and culture...! And sadly Gold Coast doesn't offer that! I made the mistake of booking this property coz I was a little mis-led by all the reviewers talking about how pretty the place is and the 20 mins distance. Alas! Its much more far away than it sounds...! And it doesn't give you the joy of walking thru those night markets and the wonderful alleys that HongKong symbolises, as the place wears such a deserted look at night...!
So in case you're staying in HongKong for 10 days or more, stay 6-7 days in Kowloon and do a getaway in Gold Coast...! But don't choose this as your base to sight-see HongKong, which is the mistake me and my family made!
P.S: The rooms have incredible views of the harbor, the property is really plush, the staff courteous (as courteous as HongKongers can be : tipping helps!!! :-)), the buffet spread delectable. I STILL DON'T RECOMMEND IT THOUGH!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape the urban landscape of downtown Hong Kong and retreat to a family-friendly beach resort. Only 30 minutes from Central, our hotel is a welcoming seaside oasis with lush tropical gardens that sets the stage for a relaxing holiday, an idyllic wedding or a lively conference. Our 453 rooms and suites feature tranquil views of the sea or neighbouring Gold Coast Yacht and Country Club, allowing guests to be comforted by the cool sea breeze as they enjoy the genuine warmth of our service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, Hotelopia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gold Coast Hong Kong
- Hotel Gold Coast
- Gold Coast Hotel Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel