“What Hong Kong used to look like before land fills”

Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel
Ranked #103 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have been living in Hong Kong for a few years but before that, I traveled back and forth several times beginning in 1999. I have seen the harbor become smaller and smaller as land is reclaimed. On the Kowloon coast in the New Territories, there were once pristine beaches and pineapple plantations. All that is gone, replace by container shipping yards.

But to get an idea of what the Hong Kong coast used to look like, go to the Gold Coast Hotel.

There is a beach right next door. But what I really love about this place is the extensive formal garden along the coastline. It is truly a relaxing place.

Our room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. The pool is very large and spread out so there are plenty of places for lounging. It is beautifully maintained. Breakfast was great. You eat out on the large veranda looking out over the coast.

We were there for a conference so we did not eat at the dinner buffet, but the lunch provided for our group was fabulous--one of the better meals I have had this year in Hong Kong.

The staff and management were exceptionally helpful.

Even though we live here, the ambiance is so restful, we look forward to some "staycations" away from our tiny apartment the hustle and bustle of big city life.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Hong_Kong_Aficionada
Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel is great in every way, except for its inaccessibility to public transit.

First, you get a big room for your $, esp. considering that this is Hong Kong. The rooms were nice, clean, and the AC worked great (important in a humid place). The bed was very comfortable and the wifi worked great. The staff was helpful, and the on-site restaurants all seem to be good. The pool was fantastic. Kids would love it. I don't know this for sure, but it seems most rooms have a nice view of the marina / harbor. A few rooms have balconies. I had a teapot and a fridge in the room.

There's not much in the area. There is a small shopping area close by with a McDonald's, a couple of small Chinese restaurants, a small supermarket, a 7-11, and a bank / atm. There are a few dinner restaurants there as well. You have to go through the hotel exit to get there, don't try to get there via the garden.

The hotel runs shuttles to TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) which cost 30 hkd when I was there. It's fairly convenient, and the cost is comparable to a metro ride (bus ride is cheaper). The shuttle only runs once an hour and the last shuttle leaves TST at 11pm. You can't get to the hotel via the subway. There's a bus that runs by (the 962), but it's a long ride from TST / Kowloon (an hour at least), and the bus stations in Kowloon are not easy to get to (it's easier to get on the bus on the Hong Kong side). This could be a downside for some travelers. It's near enough to Tuen Mun (a cab ride is about 30 hkd) where there's a subway station and a big shopping complex.

All in all, if being in the middle of things isn't a big deal for you, this may be a great hotel for you. The price / value more than makes up for transportation issues for me.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Went to stay a week for my son's wedding in the hotel. The whole experience was out of this world. Housekeeping provided iron and ironing board, computer jack, all very quickly. Staff at entrance desk had difficulty understanding English. View from room spectacular. Woman singing in the evening but coffee was £5. I and my sons ate in the next door piazza area and fetched McDonalds breakfasts up to room

Room Tip: non smoking to avoid tobacco smells, corner suites have massive balconies
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I returned last night from a 6 day stay at the Gold Coast. Driving up to the hotel was beautiful. Upon entering and checking in, I was told my guest staff to go to my room and my luggage would follow.
I arrived at night so when I arrived to my room the room was dark. I kept clicking what I thought was the light switch on the wall with no lights. After stumbling around for about 5 mins the bellhop arrived with my luggage and I had to ask him for assistance with my lights. No one at the front desk bothered to tell me that I needed to place one of my room keys in the slot on the wall to receive lights. That was a bit frustrating.

After getting the lights to turn on I noticed a mildew smell and my nose took me to the shower curtain. I went downstairs and informed the front desk staff that I wanted a new shower curtain because of the smell and without hesitation that was replaced. The smell was gone. The bed actually caught my attention. The bed is really low and extremely hard. After a couple nights of sleeping on it I finally adjusted. The grounds of the hotel is absolutely amazing! We had the ocean view room and to wake up & go to bed with that view each night was great! Wish we'd gotten the ocean front balcony room so we could sit outside because the weather was absolutely amazing for November.

There are several restaurants within the hotel and the Thai one caught my attention. I am a big Thai lover so I order my favorite, pan fried noodles with shrimp & a glass of wine. I received my dish of what looked amazing but was horrible. The noodles were dry and the shrimp was tasteless. I wasn't going to complain but one of the workers noticed I wasn't eating. I explained the problem and he took the food away and not only offered me another dish but recommended another dish. I can't recall the name of the dish but I wasn't impressed. I drank the remainder of my wine and asked for takeout-takeout is actually brought to your room. Needless I did not eat my food--dinner on the first night was a flop but the staff was accommodating. There is a breakfast, lunch, & dinner buffet. We did have the breakfast buffet once and it was ok plenty of options but the options are more catered to their liking which I can't complain about that. I tried the Chinese buffet but couldn't find anything on the buffet that I would enjoy for $400 HK dollars so I went the restaurant upstairs.

I order roomservice daily for breakfast after day 1 because I felt like the buffet was to much and not enough on it that I liked..A few hiccups with our order but after that no issues. Staff was always nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: The walls are a bit thin.. 10th floor ocean view amazing...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I read some other critical reviews about staff and a few other things, but i found the Gold Coast Hotel great. Start from the check-in (Carmen) - I was the only one checking in at about 6.30pm, so it was quick & pleasant - asked for a floor above the 9th for good views and was given a lovely clean King size bed room on the 15fl (no smoking floor) - asked for a late check-out - "no probs sir" an extra free hour till 1pm (so i got to watch the Melbourne Cup live in my room) ... youngest guy (i think) on the 'concierge' desk carried my bags to the room & was very helpful about the shuttle-bus service to Tsing Yi the next day (only hk$20) - wouldn't take a tip and said he was sorry he wouldn't be on duty the next day before the shuttle left to help with anything.
The nightly buffet is mind-blowing - hk$500 or 25-35% discount if paid by credit card (making it hk$350) ... a bit exxy, but boy what a spread of food ! A short walk away is the Gold Coast Piazza with an array of nice restaurants with all types of cuisines avbl - great grocery store and of course 7-11. Very very happy with my stay. ALL staff very helpful (oh, my phone re-charger wouldn't work and 'housekeeping' promptly found another to lend me to recharge my phone ...)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BuzzSpaVillas
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We have just returned from 11 days in Hong Kong, 5 nights in Causeway Bay and then chose to spend time in a beach resort for 6 nights. The Gold Coast Hotel was perfect - a quiet, high quality hotel, super water front location and a great pool. The buffet in the restaurant in the evenings was exceptional quality and value. The shuttle bus straight into Kowloon every hour made the stay out of the centre very manageable and I would recommend this hotel and location to anyone wanting a bit of a break from the big city but still near enough to get there quickly. A great stay in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the marina and pool - with a balcony !
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Jenny W
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just been for a weekend away - and a halloween party! Very good feel to the hotel- lovely reception area- very grand. The rooms are extremely clean, large and have a sitting area and an outside balcony. They are a bit 90s though.... The pool area is resort-like and they have fantastic kids facilities. Just a short walk to the beach and piazza with a selection of resturants overlooking the marina.
It did really feel like you were on holiday and had a Mediterranean resort feel to the whole place. Breakfast overlooking the pool was very good- excellent staff and a free shuttle bus- highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family