“Good, new and convenient hotel”

OZO Wesley Hong Kong
Ranked #74 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Good, new and convenient hotel”
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the (for HK) spacious rooms, liked the modern, clean and freshly decorated rooms. Staff very friendly. Location is convenient, although it borders the seedier part of Wanchai. Especially for the rate hard to beat. Didn't do breakfast in the hotel, but plenty of alternatives around. One suggestion; having multiple phones/iPads per guest access the wifi simultaneously is limited to 1. This obviously a bit annoying if you are staying with 2 persons in 1 room and requires some flexibility. Otherwise very pleasant stay, recommend!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Amsterdam B
Cliff L, Executive Assistant Manager at OZO Wesley Hong Kong, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Amsterdam B,

Thank you very much for your recent review and we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Please rest assure that an additional log-in can be easily provided at the Spot (reception) upon request. I have taken note of your preference for your future visits.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Bad check in experience, no one to even help with bags - struggling with 2 bags - door has to be pulled towards one.... Only one Wi-Fi log-in for a double bedroom; breakfast in a room which with its white clothes looks better equipped for dinner.... New hotel with hairdryers where you have to keep your thumb depressed on a button.... shows little thought.... Dress hung in cupboard was streaked in dust when taken out... no iron so could not iron clothes....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LJ888
Cliff L, Executive Assistant Manager at OZO Wesley Hong Kong, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Lesley R,

Thank you for your recent visit and your detailed feedback about your stay.

We appreciate all your comments and are disappointed that you left with a less than satisfactory impression.

Allow me to provide you with some feedback regarding your comments:

1. We offer an “one-stop” service at the Spot (reception) where the team complete check-in, check-out, concierge and other guest services. We do not provide a dedicated bell desk service, in line with hotels of a similar standard, but our team make every effort to assist where necessary. We apologize that you were not assisted on this occasion. I am not sure how to address your comment regarding the direction in which the door opens as it doesn’t appear to be an abnormality.

2. An additional Wi-Fi log in can be provided upon request and we have taken note of your needs for any future visit.

3. Our hair dryer is designed to operate only while the button is activated for safety reasons, again similar to what you will find in a large number of hotels.

4. We are sorry to hear of the dust on your dress, of course we have instructed our housekeepers to investigate the wardrobe. We would have been more than happy to attend to this matter had you brought it to our attention during your stay.

5. Irons and ironing boards are available upon request (and this is mentioned in our directory) and we have again taken note of your needs for any future visit.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts via tripadvisor and I do hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a business trip. New and clean, friendly and helpful staff, good location. However, my only complaint is that the pillows had a funky smell; they smelled used, even though the cases were clean and seemed newly changed. Maybe the scents of past guests had stuck to them. Would have been a lot better if they smelled fresh. I changed rooms in the middle of my stay but the pillows still smelled funky. I also found it weird that they did not provide toothbrush and toothpaste. Good thing though I had brought my own.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear melac,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I sincerely apologize for the unpleasant smell from the pillows, please rest assure the pillows are as new as the pillow cases. Please do try our pillow menu on your next visit as we offer other types of pillow to enhance our guests' Sleep. Dream. experience.

On the other hand, we have taken a conscious decision to reduce one or two amenities for environmental reasons. One of these items would be the throwaway toothbrushes that you mentioned. I should point out that such items are certainly available upon request at the Spot (reception).

Once again, we do hope to see you in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I may be of any assistance.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We landed in HK around 730 in the evening, by 930 we were on our way to dinner. The airport transfer is quick and easy, and so was the checking in. We were upgraded on arrival which was a very welcome surprise as I had been bracing myself for a small hotel room (as seen from a lot of other reviews of HK hotels). Like the Goldilocks story, the room was not too big, not too small, bright and airy with cool views around. Advertising for this hotel talks alot about sleep and dreaming which is spot on as the bed was wonderfully comfortable and the temperature, again, just right. The close proximity to admiralty MTR is excellent. Online it looks far, but the underpass makes for a cool air conditioned walk when its too hot outside. I booked online for this hotel, though my late checkout paid for on the day.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great! The hotel is strictly non-smoking.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank widarchitect
Cliff L, Executive Assistant Manager at OZO Wesley Hong Kong, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear widarchitect,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback about OZO Wesley Hong Kong with the tripadvisor community.

We are particularly happy to hear of your high praises of our Sleep.Dream. promise to the guests.

Do hope to welcoming you back in the near future.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed in the OZO Hotel for 7 nights and I did enjoy my stay. The staff is very friendly and check in was without problems. The hotel room is reasonably sized, though maybe on the small side if you stay there as couple. The room has a kind of bay window which is nice to sit. The bed is very comfortable and the bathroom is modern, as the whole hotel has been under serious refurbishment recently.

I didn't choose the rather expensive breakfast option but just grapped a simple breakfast from the on-site coffee shop at the street corner.

The location of the hotel is perfect for visitors of the exhibition area. It's just a five minutes stroll and you're there.

As a downside, the hotel doesn't have a hotel bar. So for those who need a good night dram
they have to grep a beer in one of the closeby convenience stores, which are basically open
all around the clock.

All in all I can recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank goekik
Dear kauerman,

We are particularly happy to hear that you enjoyed our on-site grab and go outlet - O2GO.

Do hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My family and I have been regulars at this hotel for many many years, and we were very pleased when the newly renovated version of The Wesley had reopened.

I am Australian but with Hong Kong heritage so I can be considered half-local with fairly good local knowledge.

The OZO Wesley is firstly well situated. Although not in the heart of the major shopping hubs of HK such as Causeway Bay, Central, Tsim Tsa Tsui or Mong Kong, it has very accessible public transport routes. The Wanchai and Admiralty subway (MTR) stations are a 5 minute walk away, the tram stop is a 1 minute walk away, and taxis are very easily stopped nearby or right up to the door of the hotel.

Hong Kong is very much like New York in the sense that all important places can be easily reached via subway/MTR. In fact, all public transport operates via the Octopus Smartcard system, so if you are here for 4-5 days or more, I would highly recommend you get one from the Information Desk in a subway station (50HKD I think). This card is then rechargeable and you can use it for subway, bus or tram.

The new renovations are also clean, friendly and comfortable. I think when you travel to a city like HK, you must ask yourself whether you are travelling there to shop, eat and walk around OR are you there to enjoy the luxuries of hotel CONSIDERING there is SO much to shop, eat and walk around?!

Hong Kong is a city that has so much to offer in terms of night life, shopping, street food AND luxury food, that I would tell people wanting to spend most of their time stuck in the hotel enjoying the amenities they are wasting their money travelling to this city.

That said, a hotel should ALWAYS be comfortable to stay in so that you can recover for another epic day of food and shopping!

The staff are exceptional. Their spoken English is perfect (not to sound racist but a lot of hotels employ staff with very poor grasp of the English language), and all were always courteous and very willing to help. One staff member, Mr Joe Yau was most helpful and impressive.

The rooms themselves are small but clean and comfortable. This is the truth. And if you are looking for luxury, this hotel is not for you. The larger room is their corner room which is actually quite spacious, but luxury is not this hotel's main aim.

The bed is very comfortable and the housekeeping is well..almost always cleaning! Two complimentary bottles were provided EVERYDAY which I personally found fantastic. The new renovations of the bathroom proved refreshing and clean compared with the old hotel. That said, most people will find the bathroom small. However, I can tell you that this is mostly the norm with hotels of the 3-4 star range in HK as land is not cheap in this city. If you've been to New York, you will know what I mean.

My extra brownie points go to the three new BARISTA coffee cafes that have opened up in Wan Chai, one of them Coco Espresso right across from the hotel. I am Australian so I need a good cup of coffee every day. This new cafe trend in HK has been a godsend. I refuse to drink any of that watery sludge they call coffee in America.

There is also a 24 hour gym which was not present in the last incarnation (or it might've been but poorly maintained). The new gym is Life Fitness equipment and relatively new. 4 treadmills, 2 cross trainers. One multi-use pulley weights machine. Free weights unfortunately only go til 10kg. One large frame pulley machine for arms and such. Not the greatest gym in the world, but it is at least clean, with good air con, towels provided, water provided. A good enough gym to kill some calories.

All in all, my experience at the Wesley this time was very good. I will not lie and tell you that in terms of luxury, the Excelsior hotel in the heart of Causeway Bay is a few steps above. But the Wesley is not trying to compete at that level. This hotel appeals to the person who realises that they will not be cooped up in the room all day, but rather walking, shopping and eating in all the famous locations in Hong Kong.

I for one will be returning here. I am a fairly successful health care professional, so the truth I can afford more. However, I will continue to stay at The OZO Wesley because it is good value for money, and it meets all my needs in terms of transport and location.

Pros
1. Close to transport
2. Good value for money
3. Clean rooms
4. Friendly staff
5. Non-smoking

Cons
1. Small Rooms
2. No luxury amenities
3. No bell hop (but I really don't mind. Most luggage of rollers now right?)
4. Not in the heart of a shopping district

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank scheung85
Dear Scheung85,

Many thanks for having taken the time to write a tripadvisor review.

We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We are happy to know that you appreciated our décor and the location of the hotel which is very popular not only with hotel guests travelling from abroad but with the local clientele as well.

Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the team. Your comments regarding our team’s personality and the way we interact with our guests are particularly valuable.

We hope to welcome you back in the future again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed at the Ozo on our way to Australia from the UK. It was a very comfortable place to stay and close to the station. Dennis, the Manager was very helpful. We would stay at the Ozo again. Location wise it's got a few chilled bars / restaurants which are walking distance and a short cab ride to central and the main bar area.

• Stayed August 2013
Cliff L, Executive Assistant Manager at OZO Wesley Hong Kong, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear TMcCleave,

Thank you very much for giving us a 5-star review!

It is very encouraging for our team member to receive direct positive feedback from our guests. And we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you once again for choosing OZO Wesley Hong Kong and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,