Open today: 00:00 - 23:59

Book in advance
from
£58.75
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Man Mo Temple
from £58.75
from £146.89
from £175.00
from £72.16
1,117 results
All reviews incense worship gods statues skyscrapers
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 February 2014

A small but very different location on Hong Kong Island which you might find when heading for the Mid-Town Escalator. Gives an alternative view of this city of towering blocks of flats and offices. Ten minute visit at the most for a tourist, but perhaps a good place to pause for thought in a busy itinerary

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I think I found this temple through one of the station maps on Central and decided that temples are always nice. So I took the walk over and kind of as soon as I saw the temple got a little disappointed. It might be that I came from Japanese temples and the temples of Beijing that made me feel that way, maybe your expectations are lower. But I must say I found a few other temples, by accident, in the Hong Kong area that are much better. As it was by accident I sadly cant point you to them as I haven't got the names...

Date of experience: November 2013
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I think it's always interesting to see locals at worship and this is no exception. Don't expect a beautiful building or huge spaces to explore.

Do expect lots of incenses!

Pop your head in if you're in the neighbourhood but don't go out of your way.

1  Thank Hopskipandajane
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Perhaps it is the clouds of incense burning or the fact that this temple is always full of praying locals, but this temple feels very authentic and is certainly worth a visit. It is not just a tourist destination, but a working temple, with a strong history.
It was built around 1847, in a traditional Chinese architectural layout. There are interesting examples of figurines and carvings both within and outside the two-hall structure. It was built mainly for the worship of Man Cheong, the God of Literature and Mo Tai, the God of Martial Arts. Look out for the brass carving of a hand holding a pen, in front of the central alter.
You can take photos, but must be sensitive to others who are praying.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I've been to temples in many countries and this once is for locals for praying and not for tourists or sight seeing. It has a concrete and metal fence exterior and not a traditional Buddhist temple facade. Very smoky and filled with incense on the inside. There is nothing to see per se and rather just an altar where people pray so I felt intrusive being there.