“My second home away from home”
Review of Evergreen Hotel

Evergreen Hotel
Ranked #168 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 22 August 2008

As usual, everytime I'm in Hongkong, Evergreen is still it. Not fabulous, tiny, yes, but very satisfactory. Since you are out shopping and sightseeing the whole day, why the need for a 5 star hotel? A boutique hotel like Evergreen will do. The staff are always smiling, friendly and helpful. Breakfast is simple, filling and healthy. The location is so strategic. One block from the famous Temple St. night market and Nathan Road, two MTR stations away from another shopping great, Mongkok. Five minutes away from the Jordan MTR station. One minute away from a small wet market for fresh vegetables and fruits. One block away from Wing On Department store. 10 minutes bus ride to Star Ferry. Given all these information, i don't see any reason why one will not opt to stay at Evergreen. So simple. Reasonable and ever reliable Evergreen.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank gcfranco
There are newer reviews for Evergreen Hotel

Reviewed 5 June 2008

I requested a hotel in Kowloon less than $100, near Nathan Road. Evergreen fit the bill. When the taxi dropped us off, I could not believe this was the hotel. It looks AWFUL. But we were only sleeping there, right.

Staff was EXCELLENT! We had a lot of luggage since we were travelling for 30 days--2 large bags and 2 small ones. The room was TINY. It's a good thing my husband and I love each other because we had to hug a lot. I was able to put 2 bags into the closet, fortunately, so that gave us some room.

The bathroom was nearly as large as the bedroom--truly. There was a small alcove for some storage and tea service and refrigerator. There were also two desktop areas and a small window. The bed was against the wall, so once you were in, you were in for the night. It was a little small for us, but it worked.

Breakfast was included and was mostly Chinese style, but there was also bread for toast and cereal, juice and coffee or tea. Not fabulous, but adequate.

Internet was free, but there were only a few terminals available.
They addressed this by limiting the time of use. It worked pretty well as far as I could tell. No one seemed hampered.

Washers and driers were free--a big plus, since we had just gotten off a cruise ship where we had to pay through the nose for the service. There were only three of each, but I had no trouble finding a free one when I wanted one.

Location was a big plus. The hotel is just a block from Nathan Road shopping, so you just walk there and spend your money. Also, the night market is at your front door and that has to be the world's biggest flea market. Great fun, bargains, and food. You do have to watch out for fakes, of course, but that's part of Hong Kong.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank princessLA
Reviewed 1 June 2008

Stayed for 5 nights. Room clean and spacious.Yes! I would say that the room 408 was great!

I was surprised when we entered the room cos I had the perception that it going to be tiny as what most 'economical' hotels in HK.

We paid HK$900/night. I believed we had a room up-grade. Booked a room for triple(1 double + 1 single) but instead had 1 double and 2 single.Plenty of walking space.

Room is serviced daily and did a great job cos I didnt suffer any 'itchy nose' during my stay.

Brought along own laptop and had free internet access in the comfort of our own room.The hotel also have 4 PC for guests use.

Breakfast is included. Just simple fares.But really got tired after my third day cos the buffet breakfast menu was same throughout my stay!

Although there is free self-service laundry(2 washing machine and 2 dryer),which open from 1600-2200h, do check out that the dryer is working well before going off. During my first time using the dryer, another guest and I chatted for nearly 40mins while waiting for our clothes to dry. But it never!

Brought back the clothings to my room to hang dry. Feedback to the staff next morning that both dryers faulty.Place my damp clothings again that night and it worked! However, the 2nd time I used (gap of 2 days apart), after 40 min in dryer, my clothings are still wet. I didnt check it cos thinking that the dryer should be working fine since they've just been "serviced" . Saw a staff walked by and i enquired. Surprised to be told that I put too many pieces of clothings. I only placed in 3 sets of light clothings!!!

Shopping and dining-- Temple St is just two minutes walk. Nearest dessert and food stalls are opposite and besides the hotel.

Nearest MTR---Jordan station ~ 5min walk

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Cherryto
Reviewed 3 May 2008

I was in Hong Kong for a gift fair so all accommodation at this time is quite expensive. I chose this hotel because I was faliliar with the location and it had quite good reviews and the price was fantastic. I was not disappointed. The location was great, close to MTR, night market and Nathan Rd. The room whilst small was clean and hotel offered free laudry use, internet and breakfast. Pretty hard to complain unless you want all the bell & whistles!! Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2008

This was one of the least expensive Hong Kong hotels(listed on AsiaRooms' webpage), and I was pleasantly surprised by its value for money. Frankly, I had expected worse!

The obvious plusses:

1. its location, just one block from the Temple Street Night Market (Woosung Street runs parallel to both Temple Street and Nathan Road), and a 5-minute walk from Jordan MTR station. Even better, the A21 Airport Bus stops a 2-minute walk from it.

2. Internet usage (computer terminals located along the corridor) and all local phone-calls were free.

3. Many inexpensive eating places around the hotel's environs, open till late.

4. The staff were friendly and helpful, and room service efficient.

Some caveats:

1. The room I got was adequate for one person, but would be too small for two persons. There was hardly any wardrobe space or storage for the inverterate shopper. There was a small window, which overlooked a dark alley-way, so its best to keep it closed permanently. The decor was simple and functional. The bathroom was small, and the tub suitable only for little people. The TV had only 4 channels, and covered little more than horse-racing.

2. The complimentary breakfast was very basic and nondescript. Its far better to venture to the many eateries outside.

If you're not going for luxury, this would be more than adequate (under 100 Singapore dollars a night is a bargain in Hong Kong). Let's hope Evergreen does not price itself out of the market!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank PianoManiac
Reviewed 20 April 2008

My stay with my sister at Evergreen was really pleasant, with helpful and polite staff. The hotel, although small was clean and in a superb location, a short walk from Mong Kok, close to department stores and near the MTR. A 7-11 is next door so that was convenient.
Although our room was small, it was enough space since it was only two of us. The free internet access and kettle that was provided were useful too. The only downside was the laundry service, which was only open from 4pm-10pm - the times when we were out so we had to come home early a few times to get our laundry done! The bathroom had a nice selection of toiletries and also plenty of towels available.
Before arriving, I had read reviews on how the key was too big but it was a standard size and besides you can leave it at the front desk and collect it when you return.
The buffet breakfast was ok I guess, but we only went once during our two week stay since we prefered to go out for breakfast instead since food in Hong Kong is not too expensive.
Overall, I had a lovely stay in Hong Kong, tired from all the walking I was glad to return to this comfortable hotel after the long day of shopping with friendly staff to greet us. I am normally quite fussy when it comes to cleanliness, and this hotel satisfied my needs. It was a great location and made my stay in Hong Kong so much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank bs87
Reviewed 12 April 2008

We were at the Evergreen for the three nights we were in Hong Kong. The Evergreen is a great little hotel the staff do all in their power to make your stay a good one. The rooms are cleaned and the towels changed daily. I was surprised when I was told my card would be charged at the end of our stay in case we changed our mind about staying there during the three days. There were complimentary toothbrushes,toothpaste, shower caps,comb and disposable razors in the bathroom and the shower was nice and powerful. With location like this, free internet access, budget prices and great helpful staff The Evergreen is well worth a stay, I would go back any time.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family