“A prison cell in the middle of Hong Kong”
Review of Wang Fat Hostel

Wang Fat Hostel
Reviewed 24 September 2011

From the minute you arrive at Wang Fat Hostel you know you're in for a special stay (if you decide to stay). Just take a look at the door and you know you're paying for a prison sentence.

I was shown to a tiny room without a window, and when I complained about this, the guy seemed surprised that I wanted a window. What else? Should I also ask for a floor and a ceiling? I thought windows were standard anywhere in the world (with the possible exception of prisons).

I was then shown to a room (after a very long wait) that had a window, but was also small, hot and uncomfortable, and the bed dirty. I found two cockroaches in my room. The window opened onto a yard thing and there was a terrible crying sound all day and night, I still don't know if it was a child or an animal, but it was unbearable. Despite bad jet lague I left first thing in the morning to go somewhere else. I didn't get the money back I had paid for two further nights' stay and I'm still angry about that. I hope this hostel closes down and the owners lose their business. Stay somewhere else when in Hong Kong.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Wang Fat Hostel

Reviewed 19 August 2011

+ 30secs from Causeway Bay MTR Station, near to causeway bay shopping center, near to victoria park, nice building from outside but not from the inside, the receptionist who might be the owner (because we think he's the one who have the control) is very kind and helpful,

- dirty room, the corridor smells like incense, the bathroom is very small and smell not good.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mythzmoiselle
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I have been visiting HK yearly, since 2007. On 2007 I stayed at an expensive hotel in causeway bay.. The next year 2008, my friend and I found this wang fat hostel over the internet. We gave it a shot and we have been staying here since. I don't normally rate hotels here but I found it heart breaking to see those who rated the hostel poorly, I mean, guys, it so so cheap--what do you expect?? At least it is safe there, you can sleep, there is a heater, aircon and TV (which we didn't use), you can also use their free wifi and computerS and kitchen. Sam is really helpful and friendly. If you want a good service, a good bed and everything, you might want to pay premium for those services. And more, the location is really good, just near the MTR causeway bay station, there is wellcome supermarket, restaurants, shopping, ikea, starbucks, etc etc etc... If you want to relax, sleep well or if you have the money to do so, then don't stay here.;) You can trust me, over-all this hostel met my expectation for the price. Am planning to go back there again this 2011. Will definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank miawinskie
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The rooms are basic but clean and comfy. But the location is perfect! The cheapest place in the area.

There are free computers and a kitchen too!

There is a sign saying the hostel is illegal but don't let this put you off. It is an ongoing dispute with the owners of the building and is not a problem.

The staff are helpful and friendly and give you a choice of many rooms, so if you aren't happy with one ask to see more. Would definately stay again!!!

4  Thank hcoe21
Reviewed 18 April 2010

It is what it is ..a hostel..no frills accomodation for cheap..just a place to sleep and that was good for me.When I arrived I could not enter the building because a code was required. Luckily someone was exiting so I just slipped in . The resident guard did not care less. I checked in with "Sam" seemingly the resident front desk person who charged my credit card for the balance. In addition a HK100 deposit was required for keyes..this was refunded in cash upon check out ! I was on the ninth floor facing the street..I heard all the traffic all day and night. Perhaps the inner rooms are less noisy. There was not a refrigerator in the room rather one in the hallway serving all rooms. Nor was there a telephone in the room but in the hallway as well. A towel was given to me on arrival , it had seen better days ! The room and , furnishings were dated but functional. The sink had black mildew in its caulking. Hot water was hot ! There is a shampoo and liquid soap dispenser in the shower . Curtains darkened the room adequately. It was cool in the room for my stay and as such I did not use the air conditioner. The location was excellent..upscale shopping if you desire. McDonalds , local fast foods . A great super market , pharmacy , HSBC bank , Western Union all close by . Metro subway , buses and trams were close by as well. I took the A11 bus from and to the airport..It was quite easy..plan on 50 mins to the international airport. There is an internet room with two desk tops. One runs windows XP professional and the other Firefox . They were somewhat slow. I had my laptop and could not log on at all on the 9th floor . Other guests on different floors reported the same inability to log on. Would I stay there again ..yes..Would I take my family..No..it is what it is.a hostel !! By the way I only came across three staff personel , two maids and Sam , the front desk person. They were all very helpful. In the morning when I was checking out Sam was not there , but a note on the counter instructing guests to telephone call him . He appeared in less than a minute with my HK100 $. Hope this review was helpful..regards

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank MiamiRambo
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Don't go there!
I was led into the small room without window,likea solitary cell.
The notice of the entrance in this building said that this building was for residence only so that hostel was illegal.
Please be cafeful.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Journalist2010
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Excellent location and great value for money . The best bet for cheap accommodation in Hong Kong.

Stayed: December 2009