Wang Fat Hostel
The Royal Garden(Hong Kong)
US$219
US$164
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Cordis, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$271
US$631
US$418
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Metropark Hotel Kowloon(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$86
Trip.com
Hotel ICON(Hong Kong)
US$315
US$214
Hotel ICON Official Website
  • Pool
The Langham, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$319
US$266
Agoda.com
US$189
US$227
US$186
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2007

I stayed at the above hostel from 31st of October until the 5th of Nov 2007.
Whilst booking the accommodation through a website we had to put down a time that we would be approximately be checking in. My friend and I thought 18:00. We turned up exactly on time.
We just managed to get ourselves and our luggage in the tiny lift and went to the hostels reception area.
The woman who was at the reception area didn’t seem that happy to see us...either that or she had just swallowed a wasp!!! Before we finalised our check in I asked if we could see the room first. I don’t think she was that happy for me to request this! The room was an ok size (considering how much we paid ($1720.00 = £48.68 - Bargain!)
We wanted to shower as we had just come off a 13 hr flight, so my friend went to the bathroom. On her return from the shared bathroom she told me that there was no running hot water - not a good start!
The security of the hostel was good, there was a security guard at the bottom of the building reception area and we needed a key for the main entrance, a key for the actual living quarters a key for our room.
The location of this hostel is excellent, you have a big department store (Sogo) just literally 3 minutes walk if not closer, 24 hour supermarket, big shopping centre all on your door step and the MTR station at your feet! What more could you ask for.

During the 6 nights at Wang Fat, my friend had 2.5 hot showers and I had 3!! It could have been worse I guess!
If you want to use the Internet/computer facilities at the hostel I wouldn’t hold much hope...On the three occasions we attempted to, there was always someone using the one computer. I would go elsewhere to an Internet cafe (we used one on Lockhart Road).

In summary, the hostel was okay if you want to have a really cheap sleep in the hustle and bustle of the city and so convenient. The bed I slept on was comfortable. I am not sure if we had a maid clean the room but I know that we both had a fresh towel everyday.
Would I stay at Wang Fat again? Maybe but would look elsewhere first.

After staying 6 days at Wang Fat I was looking forward to moving on to our next accommodation over in Kowloon.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2007

This has got to be the worst hostel i have ever stayed in. Got there in November, even though we had reserved rooms a month beforehand, i thought we would get a room inside the building itself, but after checking it, i found out that our room was in another building on a completely different street.
The room was so small and the bedding was disgusting, i know it is not comparable to a hotel, but it cannot even be compared to someones own bedding, it was so old and worn out. Originally planned to stay there for few nights, the first night was awful, all through the night, there was a constant water dripping sound, it was so loud that i could not sleep, even though i was so tired after a 12 hour flight. Next morning, i found out that the tap in my room had no hot water!!!!!! even though i left it on for ages!
The second night i stayed there was even worse, the towels in my room was the same as the ones last night, again there was the water noise all through the night and just about dozed off and woke up at 4am, due to the noise of the water. Switched the lights on at 4am and just sat around, then noticed a cockroach climbing on the table in the room!!! i knew that i could not stay in that room for another night, and immediately packed up my stuff, checking if there was anymore cockroaches which may have climbed into my luggage and checked out immediately!! even though i had paid for 3 nights, i could not stay there for the last night, it is seriously the worst place i have ever stayed in my life! the customer service was very very poor, when we were checking in, the woman was on the phone to someone and was still chatting away while trying to check me into the room and make me fill in forms. worst experience ever!never going there again and i would advise anyone thinking of staying there to not even think about it as it will ruin your holiday.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 21 November 2007

I used to always stay at the Wang Fat Hostel and overlook its shortcomings because of the great location of the hostel. But, after my latest stay, I don't think I will be staying there again.

Wang Fat has done great business the past few years, probably because of its high recommendation in an edition of the Lonely Planet travel guide a couple of years ago. They have a fantastic location in Causeway Bay (very very close to the MTR station) and the rooms are good or great for a hostel/guesthouse.

The price is not as cheap as some other hostel/guesthouses (especially compared to some in Kowloon), but the price is still definitely fair.

The problem with Wang Fat is that they have taken on too much business and it has caused some problems that lead to customers being dissatisfied. The main problem for me is that, since they have grown, they have partnered wtih/taken over rooms in other hostel/guesthouses in other nearby buildings. They have done this to be able to accomodate all the people who want to stay at Wang Fat. That is, you book a room at Wang Fat, but you end up being assigned a room in another building or sometimes another hostel all together.

Usually this is not a problem. If you are assigned an "off-site" room, it is usually a good or very good room. If you are lucky, you will be assigned one of the rooms in the building on Kingston Street, which is across the street and around the corner. But, the problem happens when you are assigned a room at one of the buildings further away. They have rooms in at least one building a block away, but that the only way to get to it is to walk around the entire block (basically, you have to walk around the entire Excelsior hotel location).

Wang Fat, on their website, explains that room priority is given to those who reserve ahead with a pre-paid deposit and that even higher priority is given to those who pre-pay the entire bill beforehand. I did that the last time I stayed there - I paid for all my nights beforehand and specifically stated I request a room in the Wang Fat building itself. But, once I arrive, what happnes? Of course, I get assigned an "off-site" room.

The other problem related to Wang Fat and its high customer volume is that their rooms often aren't ready at a reasonable time. That is, say you have a reservation and they tell you that you can come by to check in at 1 or 2 in the afternoon (I forgot the exact time). You get to the office and they tell you your room is not ready yet and suggest that you leave your bags in their office and come back at the end of your day (like 5 or 6PM) and the room will be ready then. In the past, I have been travelling to Hong Kong just by myself and on my own schedule, but if I am travelling with others - or have an appointment - this is unacceptable. I don't want to leave my bags on the floor of their office all afternoon.

Also, the facilities, namely the computer room with free internet access, is not good either the last time I checked. They have 3 computers with internet, but there is always a line. It's really not convenient at all - especially if you are assigned an "off-site" room.

Like I said, the place has a great location and good to very good rooms. But, being placed in other locations is not acceptable to me anymore unless I know beforehand exactly which location I will be assigned so that I can make the choice if I want to stay there or not. They need to list and map these other locations on their website. Also, their price has gone up a little bit. There are many more hostels/guesthouses that have better prices now (especially in Kowloon).

I have had many a good night staying at Wang Fat, but, as they have outgrown their current building, I have outgrown them as well - or so I say. I might stay there again - who knows?

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank AnyQuestions
Reviewed 3 November 2007

stayed there 3x already. only a few selected rooms are ok (on the newly renovated floor), some rooms are actually passable! and last time is the worst, the toilet is so dark and they won't change the bulb. have to sleep in the opposite building for the first night because they're fully booked the first night even when I already made resercvation.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wifey_ali
Reviewed 21 October 2007

Have you ever left your room and then returned a few hours later to find it has been rented to someone else? No? Book here.

The staff here ripped us off. TWICE! We made the mistake of paying in advance because they promise advanced paid bookings get access to "Priority" rooms. WRONG. Yes, the room was tiny and the floor was softer than the bed and the elevators were out of order and the whole place seemed like a giant fire trap. We're seasoned travelers and understand that you get what you pay for. But. thats not what infuriated us.

We gave a standard key deposit on arrival. Our plans changed unexpectedly and we decided to leave Hong Kong a day early. We told the staff we didn't expect a refund. But, we did expect that they leave the room untouched since we had paid for it. We fly stand-by so if we couldn't get on a flight, we would be back in a few hours to collect the key for our room to continue with our original plan. In the meantime we wanted to have our key deposit returned just in case we didn't return. Simple.
We told them it was VERY likely that we would be back in a few hours to reclaim our room unless we lucked-out on a flight. Either way the room was paid for and belonged to us anyway and even if we disappeared, they had no right to double-book it.
"Don't rent it. It's ours until Monday." was my parting phrase.

Do you see where this is going? Guess what?

We returned to the hostel a few hours later (having not been able to get on a flight) only to discover that they had rented out our PAID FOR room to somebody else! YES! They kept our money AND took someone else's money for our room. We even phoned from the airport when we couldn't get a flight to make sure that our room was still waiting for us and were reassured that, of course our room was waiting, it was already paid for.

[--] Our "Priority" room had been re-rented out from under us. Instead they offered us a rotten, smelly room overlooking the garbage compactor out back with no air conditioning and with no apologies. This lousy room was only offered to us as a favor because we were "Priority" patrons. Whether we were leaving Hong Kong or not, it was certain we were leaving this hostel first thing in the morning. We told them we would be checking out in the morning at 7 and would like our SECOND key deposit returned at that time. We were told with big dollar-sign smiles that we would be greeted in the morning and our deposit would be waiting...Big surprise that when we went to check-out reception was conveniently closed when we were promised it would be open. And, we were ripped-off again.

The stairwells are cluttered with old furniture and other debris.
God help you if a fire ever started. Say your prayers.

There are lots of other places to stay in Causeway bay. I can't say which, if any, might be better than this. But, it surely couldn't get much worse.

Safe travels.