“Brilliant hostel. Staff very friendly. Fantastic location. Have stayed many time before!”
Review of Wang Fat Hostel

Wang Fat Hostel
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I am very surprised to read the bad reviews regarding the Wang Fat. I have stayed there on numerous occassions and have never had any issues at all. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and very good value for money. The location near Causeway bay is perfect as well. I lived in China for a number of years and whenever I went to Hong Kong for the weekend I always stayed there. I would recommend this place to everyone. The only people that seem to complain are those who are not seasoned travellers and expext 5 star luxury on a budget!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank AlexHaus
There are newer reviews for Wang Fat Hostel

Reviewed 17 October 2009

Amazing location. This was a repeat stay having previously been there 4 years ago. The hostel fits well for our needs.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PurpleLoopylou
Reviewed 24 July 2009

+ : ?
~ : Location
- : no heating, no window, 3 people in 10m², no customer service, quite expensive, not clean

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I know this is a quite famous and advertised hostel but beware of their very rude and deceitful staff. We were walk-in travellers and were told that only 1 room was left that can fit us. The staff told us that the CR of the room had a small problem but nothing we should worry about. Things went smoothly but after settling-in and paying for the night's stay, I realized the TV didn't work and the small aircon barely cooled the room. Not a big fuss so we decided to stay nonetheless. The turning point happened a little past midnight, an extremely high-volume high-pitch sound that resembled a fire alarm or a warning device started screeching from the CR ceiling. When it didn't stop for 30mins, we tried looking for a staff but none was available. After an hour, a male staff came out and we started to complain. He simply told us that there was no problem with our room, whatever the problem was, we should just let it go and complain the next morning. He refused to see our room and check what the problem was no matter how hard we tried. We tried to sleep on it but the sound was unimaginably loud and just wouldn't stop. My colleague and I went back to their office to complain and when she said she was going to report them to the police, the man suddenly raised his arm and tried to hit my companion but withdrawn. Had he hit her, he would have ended up in jail. At this point we knew we had to do something. We went back to our room ready to go to the Police when we realized the sound has finally died (after more than an hour). To our surprise, a more senior staff was already outside our room ready to tell us that nothing was wrong with our room and to some extent, made us look like liars who invented the screeching sound all along. She even tried to turn on the TV but was humiliated when even she cannot get it to work. She maintained that nothing was wrong with the CR and asked us if we wanted a refund. We agreed, after giving us our money back, she told us we had 5minutes to pack our things and leave the room and their property. This was 230AM.

Definitely my worst experience in HK.

I want to be fair so I will say that the rooms were clean but their computer room is run-down with 2 barely working computers.

These kind of people do not deserve customers until they undergo anger management classes. I am very experienced in HK and the Cantonese are known to have very strong personalities but this 1 was just way overboard.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justin L
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I booked a single room with private facilities here for 6 nights in February after reading some good reviews from Trip adviser and Lonely Planet. Unfortunately it would have to be one of the WORST places that I have ever stayed in. It was cramped, dated, and a bit dirty but thats what you expect from Hong Kong so I did manage to look past that and the location was great.

The room was just terrible. I had to shower whilst standing over the toilet, the bathroom was tiny and was never dry (because of the water from the shower soaking everything). I could only get one channel on the tv in which i basically had to hold the antenna in the socket because it was faulty. Bed was crammed between two walls and was too short for a 184cm Australian...

No atmosphere, Internet was never available, hardly met any people there and the entire property just made me feel so Grey and depressed that I just had to leave. The phone card they sell is actually good value but besides that and the location i say STAY CLEAR!

Whilst staying there I couldn't help thinking that the place was just a fire trap and after reading some recent reviews on here it turns out to be true! Spend the extra money and stay somewhere decent because this place truly spoilt my Hong Kong experience.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank wric
Reviewed 19 July 2008

This was the worst hostel experience EVER. I should have known because everytime I had a question and I called the hostel directly (from Australia), no one picked up the phone. Email replies were often late as I often had to wait 2-3 days before a reply, and even then the manager (I'm assuming), Peter, did not respond to all the questions, which led to me writing back and having to wait an extra few days. I paid my reservation in full, and I was promised to have first priority in choosing my rooms. However, when I got to my room, it was small with a rock hard bed, my fiancee and I could barely move around with the two of us in there; he could not even FIT in the bathroom because it was a toilet and shower in one and no bigger than the size of a small closet!

I also got flea bites all over my legs at night when I slept (don't think the rock hard mattress was very sanitary) and even though there was a maid who went in everyday, she only put in a new rubbish bag in the bin, and folded up the blanket. Any other messes were not even taken care of - not that we were messy but trust me I knew that nothing else was cleaned, as was promised. I didn't think I needed to pay to have someone fold up my blanket, thank you VERY much.

To top it off, the place is not even legally run; the security guard refused to help me find the reception because he couldn't answer to any questions regarding the illegal business.

Oh, and if you're a non-smoker, like me, you would NOT appreciate the freedom of other hostel guests SMOKING IN THE HALLS DIRECTLY OUTSIDE YOUR ROOM. Due to the pouring rain in the typhoon season, the selfish guests decided to smoke up a storm in the small narrow hallway right outside my room, with no one to stop them.

In short, if you're looking to save money on accommodation, don't go to Wang Fat! You're probably better off living in a dumpster.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2008

I will NEVER recommend staying at this place. I checked in here last October 2 and checking in was a nightmare. The doorman wouldn't let us in despite having a confirmed and FULLY PAID reservation. When we finally reached the receptionist, she barely talked to us and was dismissive when she did. When we checked out the next day, I called out to the receptionist who was cleaning the room next door. She acted as if she didn't hear my calls or the calls of the other guests who have been waiting there for quite a long time already. When she finally came out, she told me to "call the boss upstairs." Number 1, how am I supposed to know the number of her boss? Number 2, she is the receptionist, part of her job is to attend to the needs of the guests. After I repeatedly explained to her that I need my deposit back and that I have a plane to catch, only then did she grudgingly call her boss. I literally had to have a shouting match with her just to have my deposit back. Again, I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND staying at this place.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple