“Quality food, unrivalled view!”
Review of View 62 - CLOSED

View 62
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cracow
“Quality food, unrivalled view!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A very satisfying dinner. Starting with the fact that its on the 62nd floor and revolving (so views of the city, especially at dusk are simply breathtaking) and continuing with the food, which is of very high quality a dinner here (lunch probably too) may be thoroughly enjoyable on many levels. I had a tasting menu with wine pairings and they worked perfectly. The chef is Spanish and so were the wines, and they surely know their job for the pairings were excellent. The fois gras, a deconstructed omelette, great beef and some more memorable dishes – actually everything was very good. What is perhaps surprising is that despite culinary and non-culinary advantages the restaurant was far from being full, but this is another advantage because one has a chance of trying it without booking weeks in advance.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Thomas077

Hong Kong, China
“Best place in HK to impress foreigner friend”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My mentee G at work is going back to the UK after a 9-month secondment in HK. I wanted to farewell her at a restaurant where she could enjoy the view of HK one last time before leaving for good. Among my choices were Pearl @ the Peak, Ritz @ the ICC and View 62. In the end, I picked the latter (selfishly for my sake as I have never tried it!).

Best view of HK skyline . I arrived ahead of G and was being seated at a table by the window which I specifically requested for at booking (although not much need for it as almost all their tables are set by the window, I still wanted to play safe). The server politely handed over the iPad wine list and the food menu but without much intention to offer help at that moment and turned away. A quick glance through of the digital and printed menus gave me a sense of dizziness, almost like what you would feel reading on a moving car or onboard a plane, then I realised the floor was gradually revolving, and that's why G arrived and was amazed by the stunning view and the fact that it is a revolving restaurant so she got to have a full 360 panoramic view of the HK skyline (from Wanchai). A full rotation takes about an hour to complete, which means most diners who come here for a decent meal should have more than sufficient time to enjoy a full turn.
We started the night with some wines. The iPad drinks menu was kind of confusing to navigate through and not very user friendly; after a few laughs over playing around with it, we needed some help from the server to locate the right page to pick the wines. G ordered a glass of house Chardonnay and me house Sauvignon Blanc, both Spanish as we deliberately wanted to stick with the theme of the cuisine.
We were too busy doing catch-ups to have almost forgotten about ordering food. The poor patient server was like turned away at least 3 times before he could get our orders. We decided to go “light" with Tapas for sharing in lieu of the mains so we could try more different dishes. We obviously had put dieting behind us and ordered 8 dishes, then finished off the meal with a dessert.
“Carabinero" spanish red prawn sashimi” - fresh with cool presentation.

Ibérico "bellota” 36-month ham (50g) - ok… hm, you know, the usual, taste buds not exceptionally fascinated by it. I’ve had better 36-month at other places.
Ibérico ham toast with tomato and figs - fresh figs balanced off the oiliness of the ham, nice combination.

“Boquerones en vinagre" marinated anchovies and potato chip - great combination and good companions to the wines; cool presentation as well.

Clams with spanish green sauce - clams were jet fresh though the dish was a bit salty.

Grilled squid with ink sauce - different from the usual you get from other Spanish restaurants, here they give you a full blown adult squid instead of the babies. Also, the squid is not cooked in its ink but with daps of the ink placing around the squid alongside some hollandaise sauce. Bit of a let-down as I’d prefer more ink.

Bisqué de marisco" seafood soup with prawn, egg and almond - taste lacks complexity and I am not sure if I appreciate the chopped hard boiled eggs and almond which felt a bit out of place to me.

Lamb spare ribs with "salsa de tomato” - Nicely done with meat tender and soft.

Lemon tart with berries jam - just so-so: the tart shell was way too hard - I couldn’t even dig my fork in it without a hard push; the lemon curd filling too sweet although presentation scores.

We were a bit carried away with the food and had stretched our stomachs a bit, but it was a perfect night with great view, ambience and food. Without us knowing, it was well passed 11pm and the server had to come politely ask us to move to the bar area where there was live music playing should we wish to continue as they needed to clean up the restaurant area, had we realised the time. We would really love to, but G had loads of packing to do before flying off the next day so we had to call the night off at that point.
Todo lo mejor! G. Good luck in your future endeavours - way to go! And it was certainly a pleasure getting to know you, my very bright Cambridge mentee.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Foodie R
Lyon, France
“Worth a detour”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Only 2 days in Hong Kong with rainy weather. Dorothy at 9 Boutique Hotel recommended it! Great passion fruit and mango cosmopolitan! And awesome 360 degree view in spite of the overcast skies. Enjoy!

• Visited April 2014
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Amazing! Super restaurant and views!”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This restaurant has been around for years but has never had the acclaim it deserves. When I went it was empty. The trip up to the top of Hopewell Centre was amazing with its outside lift and the revolving restaurant and live band couldn't have been better. Go here and not to the Peak!

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“This restataurant matches the view.”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Went here for a cocktail in the revolving bar/restaurant on the 62 nd floor, bug decided to stay for dinner.

The restaurant has a Spanish theme and the 360degree view as the restaurant rotates is fantastic

We had the tasting menu with wines and it delivered. The food was excellent and the wines good. I love desert wines and the dark treacly wine served was- amazing.

This meal was not cheap, but the food and service were first class, it's one of the best experiences I've had in Hong Kong so far. So many of these restaurants with the great views charge over the odds for mediocre food and service, but level 62 got it right. I recommend it.

Visited March 2014