“A retreat can't be found anywhere else in Hong Kong!”

Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong
Ranked #84 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“A retreat can't be found anywhere else in Hong Kong!”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My family spent two days at this new resort hotel in Discovery Bay at the end of June. With not much time to go overseas, we wanted to give this new hotel a try when the kids finished their exams. Transportation was easy, we took ferry from Central Pier 3 and then their free shuttle at the pier to the hotel. Less than an hour, we arrived at the hotel from Central. I had never imagined how convenient it was to get to Discovery Bay. As for the hotel, to be honest, I didn't expect a lot. But once we arrived, we were all WOW-ed by the pleasant decor and the stunning views. It was like we were in a resort somewhere else, it's totally not Hong Kong.

Although there were restaurants at the nearby plaza, we didn't go out at all and consumed all our meals at the Cafe, for there were simply too much to do in the hotel and the food at the Cafe was beyond expectation. My kids were busy joining the classes and activities provided by the kids' club and we also spent a lot of time at the outdoor swimming pool, which was just magnificent! The scuba diving coach was super nice and my daughter simply didn't want to leave!

Although service was a bit slow at the Cafe, it's understandable and the service staff were eager to help. Also the food quality helped them gain back our hearts.

You can tell a lot of staff are quite green, but it's the attitude that matters. As it is still in its soft opening stage, I expect they will pick up and things will become better and better. Look forward to going back soon!

Room Tip: Sea view room is a must-try. To give a few more bucks, you can have a one-of-a-kind experience by h...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Andy H

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and sharing with us your experience on your stay.

I’m very happy to read that you and your family very much enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments on our location, facilities as well as team members are well noted and appreciated.

Thanks again for your lovely and encouraging feedback. We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
HKG
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a weekend to celebrate our anniversary, we did mention this is for celebration when we sent the booking for an ocean view room. And surprisingly there was a complimentary bottle of champange ready at our room. We then walked around the area which is very peaceful, the ocean view is very nice. We spent the afternoon at the pool, we ordered 2 drinks but it came only after 30 mins, the manager came over to apologize very sincerely and said would waive the bill although it did show on the billing when we checked out, but after we told the lady at the front desk of what had happened and should be waived, she immediately revise the invoice to us without questioning too much which we felt they do respect and trust their customers. We also had our dinner buffet at the cafe, although the food was average but all the waiters and waitresses are all very nice and in a very good manner.
We will definitely come back again for visit.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zenhel k
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Zenhel k

Thanks very much for your lovely feedback! I’m very delighted to read that you enjoyed your anniversary at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

Your comments on our services and team members are very much appreciated.
Thanks for being our guest and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

London
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband and I stayed a night at Auberge for our wedding anniversary and it was a very pleasant experience. We stayed in the ocean view room and the view was simply amazing (it really is worth the extra money for travellers choosing between a garden vs. an ocean view room!) Everything in the room was to my liking, from the relaxing ocean themed colours to the room layout and decor to the unmissable large sunken bath overlooking the ocean which can comfortably fit 2 people. With the lovely sunshine and view, I opened the curtain in the morning thinking I was on a tropical island for a moment rather than in HK!

The service of the staff was very good from front desk to concierge to inside the restaurant. For the 2 meals that we had in the restaurant, we had the luck to be served by someone called Betty with an outstanding level of sincerity and attentiveness which is rare even in other upmarket restaurants (especially in HK).

There is a shuttle bus that takes guests to and from key locations in HK island and Kowloon which makes life much easier for anyone who may not want to take the ferry.

So why am I not giving it 5 stars?
- When I called up to enquire about the shuttle prior to my stay, I was told that it would depart from Elizabeth Building in Causeway Way. It turned out that the Building was a huge block and it wasn't clear which side of the building the shuttle would be picking up so I had to wander around the block hoping to catch it. (It's be on Jeffa Road for fellow travellers taking this shuttle!) On getting on the shuttle I realised I wasn't the only guest that had this confusion so the staff should have been more precise in giving directions.

- Food at breakfast was generally good but some of the food was not as fresh or to the high quality I have expected (e.g. the smoked salmon wasn't fresh and yoghurt wasn't smooth). However these were relatively minor. The high tea set was very good though!

All in all I'd be very happy to stay at Auberge again anytime!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ApplepieLondon
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear ApplepieLondon

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! It’s great to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

Your detailed comments on our rooms and services are well noted and very much appreciated.
Thanks so much for sharing with us your comments and it would be our pleasure to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My kind of place, great price for anything in Hong Kong. The fantastic views, clean rooms, and welcoming staff all helped to make our two nights and a full day of touring fun and enjoyable. We took the ferry from Discovery Bay to Central and then used MTR for getting around and going back to DB. The trip back does require stopping at Tung Chung and getting on the bus to DB. The return can also be by the Ferry. There are two bus lines, one goes to the wharf South DB(small community and shopping, restaurants, and ferry) and the other goes to North DB. The hotel is at North DB. This is a growing and changing area of small restaurants, grocery store, and other businesses. Sounds complicated, but easy to do. There is a no taxi policy for this community. There is also a free shuttle bus between the hotel bus stop and the wharf stop. Close to Disney, Golf, great food, hiking, biking, and swimming. The hotel pool is wonderful, opens at 7 am and empty the first hour or so. Bus from Hotel to Airport was about 30 minutes. The 9:15 bus was empty and helpful driver to get the baggage.

1 Thank Travel_teachinChina
Dear Travel_teachinChina

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong with your family and sharing your experience with us.

I’m very delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and your lovely comments on our rooms, team members and transportation are very much appreciated.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Friend of mine recommended this newly opened hotel in Discovery Bay. My family and I enjoyed a relaxing weekend in the hotel, staff was very helpful when we checked the buses schedule. Guest room was clean, basis nothing fancy, I like the bathtub next to the window overlooking the ocean, magnificent view which I hardly can see from my apartment. Very relaxing and worth taking children there during the summer holidays. The kid club is an excellent area for the children.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra to get an Ocean Front Room, it is larger than a regular room.
1 Thank Lam K
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Lam K

Thank you for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and sharing with us your views on TripAdvisor.

It’s great to hear that you had a wonderful weekend stay with us, and you enjoyed very much the stunning ocean views. Your comments on our team members are well noted and much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your feedback and we hope to welcome you and your family for another enjoyable experience again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Little honey moon with my husband for 1 night. I found my choice is right.
The room is big enough even it's the simple hill view room.
The bathtub is fine for bubble bath.
My double bed is in good hardness and cleanses too.

Transportation is good. Also convenient to have dine and shipping.
I will bring my kids to try again in future. Must!!

• Stayed July 2013
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Carolcarcar

I’m very happy to know that you had a wonderful time in Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong for your honeymoon retreat!

Your comments on our room and transportation are very much appreciated.

Thank you so much for being our guest and sharing with us your experience. We do look forward to welcoming you and your family again soon.

Beijing
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We have traveled extensively all over Asia, and this is by far the worst hotel ever. It was listed on the website as being only a couple of miles from Disneyland which I thought would be a 10 minute cab ride. The website NEVER mentioned that cabs are not allowed on the property. It took us about an hour to travel to the park. Plus, it took us over an hour to even get from the airport to get to the hotel (we waited in line for 20 minutes for a cab because we didn't realize the no cab rule and then had to wait 40 more minutes for the bus). Once at the hotel, guests must wait for the bus that takes them to another bus/metro station. The rooms were small and did not look anything like those pictured on the website, plus I paid for a king bed but got 2 twins. The only good thing about the hotel was the view.

8 Thank Sheila C
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Sheila C

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong with your family and sharing with us your views on your stay.

I’m very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us, in particular to the location of the property. We do share all transportation information on our website, but I’m sorry that we did not communicate with you well on that.

Thanks for your overall feedback and we very much appreciate that. We look forward to welcoming you again and having the opportunity of winning your confidence back.

Guest services Manager