“Fire Safety”

Ranked #87 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Fire Safety”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Beware of the attitude of the Auberge to fire safety. Our room was on the 15th floor. On the morning of our check out we found that all the elevators had returned to "home" on the ground floor. We were told that this was because of a fire alarm. There was a strong smell of cigarette smoke in the corridor. Neither we nor other guests heard any alarm. There was no evacuation of the building. On eventually reaching the reception desk, we were told in a very casual manner that it was a "false alarm". The attitude of staff (and presumably management) is wrong; the safety first principle should always lead to evacuation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Anthony A
Anne B, General Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Anthony A
Thank you very much for taking your time to post a review on your recent stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

Please rest assured that the safety of our guests is our utmost priority at all times. We have appropriate procedures in place relating to all aspects of health and safety including evacuation as and when required.

In relation to your comments regarding the communication from our reception desk, I will personally look into this matter to ensure that our teams communicate in a more effective manner regarding matters such as the one you experienced.

I would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and to ensure you that guest safety is of paramount important to us at all times

We hope you would consider Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong again and give us an opportunity to gain your confidence back. Meanwhile if we may be of any assistance to you, please feel free to contact me on enquiry@aubergediscoverybay.com.

Anne Busfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My son and I stayed for 2 nights, we chose this hotel due to its proximity to Disneyland and the airport, away from the usual air and noise pollution of big cities. I was also surprised when we arrived at the airport that taxis were not allowed to the hotel, but unlike the others who complained about the transportation, it was a pleasant experience for us. We appreciated the fresh air and the breeze, and the hotel provided a comprehensive schedule of all available transportation, it is just a matter of organizing your day.

We got excellent service from all the staff, they were very helpful and courteous, they catered to all our request. We rented bikes on the second day and the staff accompanied us until we reached the biking trail which was a 10-minute walk. Restaurant food was excellent although a bit pricy.

We already booked our next stay for this upcoming holiday season. We loved this place !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear minerva_alfonso

Thanks for staying at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and reviewing us on your stay.

I am extremely delighted to read that you and your son have very much enjoyed your stay with us and we have exceeded your expectations. Your kind words on the location of the property, the transportation arrangement, as well as the services delivered by the team members are highly appreciated.

It is also very lovely to hear that you have chosen us for your next holiday. We all look forward to welcoming you again for another wonderful experience.

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel on the outskirts of HK and Kowloon. Big rooms, nice bed - just like they promoted. But the price is on the high side in such a secluded location.

There are no taxis, and public transportation is infrequent so need to organize schedules carefully.

In typical HK efficiency, the airport shuttle doesn't do a courtesy wait at the front door if there is no one standing outside. Neither does the concierge announce it's arrival indoors. So remember to be outside rain or shine. If u miss the shuttle, you may miss the flight like I did.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jack C

Thank you for being our guest and sharing with us your experience on your recent stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

I’m very sorry to read that you did not find the hotel easily accessible. Please rest assured that we have taken full note of the details regarding the transportation issues and your valuable comments have been addressed among the teams.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again on your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Getting there was abit of a hasel even with instructions because we didn't know that the bus bays were separate from the public buses, and were so infrequent - only at hourly intervals! So time was wasted sitting and doing nothing at the airport.

My first impression of the hotel was a disappointment because the lobby looked really old, not at all like the luscious photos online. And the mountain view that we were meant to have from our room can only be a stretch of one's imagination. The actual view is that of the empty shops/compound around the hotel and some construction nearby. Only a small slice of the mountain can be seen when we sat on the ground and looked out of the window. It wasn't as advertised online at all.

However, the saving grace was the room's bathroom with its glass wall. We had fun in lying in the bathtub and watching tv at the same time or looking out of the window. There's really nothing much to do around the area and I really don't get all those closed/ empty shops in the immediate area - are they meant to open in the future?

Getting around wasn't too bad because there's a bus-stop just outside the hotel and one can get to and from the cable car centre quite easily. My advise for first time travellers is to not bother to check in at the hotel unless you really need to deposit your luggage because it's at least 30 min to and fro from the hotel to the cable car centre (which is 5min from the airport), assuming you're wanting to tour Lantau island. And make sure you purchase an octopus card at the airport for travel on public buses and there are not taxis to the hotel. We were lucky enough to have found this out prior to our arrival.

Despite my initial misgivings, I enjoyed our stay at the hotel because the concierge was very helpful and it was a peaceful change from the cramped city hotels. My only regret is that we didn't have enough time to explore Tai-O. The breakfast buffet was average but the dining area was clean, airy and had a view of the sea. It would've probably been better in the hotter months when one is able to sit outside in the sun.

The hotel also provides free bus service into the city (Kowloon) which was great. Overalll, it wasn't bad if you're looking for a nice quiet place to stay in HK. However, do not expect it to be as tranquil looking as the photos online. There's really no view and it's located in the middle of residential condo-like flats.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank milknpowder
Anne B, General Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear milknpowder

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with us your experience in Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

I am very sorry to read that we did not very much meet your expectations, in particular to the location of the property. Your comments on our airport shuttle service are well noted. For your information, there is another bus running from the airport to Discovery Bay in every half an hour, and you could take the free shuttle direct to the hotel. I am sorry that this additional transport route was not communicated to you well before your arrival.

To enhance guest experience, we do offer a diverse range of leisure activities to guests such as hiking tour, biking tour, yoga and stretching. I am also sorry that such information was not communicated to you well.

However, I’m glad to read about your positive comments on our team members and our restaurant. We very much appreciate that.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again. If we may be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Previous reviewers have complained about “soulless” Discovery Bay, but if you stay here, you’re doing it for a reason (or simply haven’t done any research before staying). If you wish to be away from the city, or out among ‘some’ nature, Auberge is perfectly fine. We stayed two nights, just to be close to Disneyland, before checking out and heading across to Hong Kong Island. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was spacious, clean, and had quite a large bathroom. We had a Mountain View room that was lovely, but I’d strongly suggest an Ocean/Sea View room, and high up.

The breakfast buffet was very impressive and for just over $20 AUD, there was a fine selection of hot food (dumplings, bacon, eggs, potatoes, beans, waffles, pancakes, soup, sausages etc.), cereals, yoghurt, fruit, pastries, deli meats and cheese. It also all tasted quite fresh and not like it had been sitting out for hours.

We got a bus straight from the airport, although not free, it was still convenient. And the shuttle from the Hotel to Disneyland was free and very convenient. There’s a small selection of shops & restaurants just outside the front doors, catering to mostly Westerners as they seem to heavily populate the area, although we didn’t eat there as we’d already eaten dinner at Disneyland, and took off early the next day.

Unfortunately the pool had been drained because it's deemed too cold for use. It's a shame the spa wasn't available but I understand it can't be available all the time.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a room with an ocean/sea view, and high up.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeStrachan
Anne B, General Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear MikeStrachan

Thanks for sparing your time to share with us your experience at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

I’m very delighted that all in all we have met your expectations and you have enjoyed staying with us. Your lovely and positive comments on us are well noted and very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, and please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of any assistance on your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Context to following review:

Family holiday with a 3.5 year old

As a building and a location this hotel is fabulous (as long as you know that it is away from the mainland and HK Island - which we did know about) - we chose to stay here, knowing that every trip out would mean going on a local bus and then a ferry, but as it was a holiday and we were in no hurry, it added to the experience.

The room itself was a good size and really comfortable. Lovely bathroom, with an unusual bath/shower set up, that worked out really well - great water pressure.

Sadly though the customer service experience was so poor.

Pre holiday we asked for a roll away bed for our son, we had confirmation on an email, only after I had called them 3 times. (

When we arrived to the room, we had no roll away bed. When we popped out for dinner we asked where it was and they said they would get it into the room whilst we were out. When we cam back - still no roll away bed and considering we were paying extra per night for this, this was becoming a pain in the neck.

3 calls later to reception a housekeeper turned up telling us we had the roll away bed in our room already, I invited her in to say - WHERE?

She said oh and asked whether our son could sleep in our bed with us.

I said no, but that I was happy for bedsheets and a pillow for him for the sofa in the room. Finally solved, but it took her a further 2 trips to bring everything. Just hard work and disappointing.

Breakfast was much the same re the service. I went down to breakfast on my own with a 3 year old and they tried sitting me at a table the furthest away from the buffet. I explained that I would like to be near the buffet so that I could leave my son at the table and he could still see me - I had to ask every morning and it was frowned upon, as if I was asking for something awkward.

One of the actual waitresses was brilliant with my son, always good when traveling with a 3 year old boy.

There are plenty of buses to take you places, so as long as you plan your trips it is very easy - just have lots of change to hand in case you do not want to wait for the free shuttle (local bus was $4.40 per traveller).

The night before we checked out I asked if the car was booked in for the morning as we needed to be at the airport for 7am. - Blank face

He said why don't we wait for the 715 free bus, I explained that i had already pre booked the car and we wanted a car at 630 (again something we were willing to pay for) - I also had email confirmation, but it meant nothing to them.

He made some calls and told us the only car we could have was 645am.

Check out was simple - good news

No car though, arrived at 655am with no apology. The car had guests who were just arriving, so the hotel were taking a gamble and did not explain anything to us.

None of this is terrible, but they did not communicate very well with us and they assumed that as our flight was at 9am that we had plenty of time, they did not care that we had actually made plans to meet another family for breakfast whilst waiting for the flight and we did not want to rush - again, no listening and no care.

I would stay here again, knowing though that I will not expect great service.

Very clean and internally good looking hotel.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms have beautiful views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aadavix
Dear Ozvix

Thank you very much for choosing Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and sharing with us your experience on your stay.

I am very sorry to read that we did not very much meet your expectations during your stay with us, in particular to the services we provided. Please rest assured that we have taken full note of the details regarding the issues you raised and your comments have been address among the teams.

Thanks again for taking your time to post a review and we very much appreciate that. We do hope you would consider staying with us again and give us a chance to welcome you and gain your confidence back.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed in the Auberge Hotel for 6 weeks in September and October this year. It is the only hotel in Discovery Bay. Its located in North Plaza in Discovery Bay is may be a little out of the way for some but it was the perfect place to be for rest and relaxation. The staff were very helpful and the hotel accommodation and sumptious bathroom which had a walk down shower which also doubled as sunken bath was awesome. My room overlooked the South China Sea with the view of the pirate ship and in the distance Disneyland. My only comment was the swimming pool was very nice but too cold. It is not heated because the weather is hot but its was too cold for me. The spa facilties and staff were very pleasant as were the team of outstanding concierge staff - very polite and willing to help. I had breakfast which was very nice with a mix of western and eastern food. Nothing was too much trouble. There was a very efficient bus service every few minutes to the Discovery Bay ferry including a free shuttle, a bus to and from the airport from the hotel itself, and buses to other areas in lantau and the hotel laid on a bus to Disney there and back. The ferry to the Central Piers on Hong Kong Island is about 25 minutes and the scenery is jusy breathtaking. This ferry takes to the shops and cinemas and when you had enough you get on the ferry back to the more relaxed Discovery Bay. There are no cars allowed on Discovery Bay only Golf carts and buses and the odd business vehicles. Just superb. I was reluctant to put this review on because now others will know about the Auberge. It was just a joy to stay there.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms at the Auberge but mine overlooking the Sea was very relaxing with views of t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Anne B, General Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear janet w

Thanks so much for taking your time to share with us your experience at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

I am extremely delighted to have received 4 “excellent” from you, which is really encouraging to the entire team. Thanks a lot for your detailed and kind words to us and we very much appreciate that.

Thanks again for the feedback and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit.