“Interesting funky faux french Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong

Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong
Ranked #85 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Interesting funky faux french Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel with good rooms and features...newish and still sorting itself out...very good pool and gym area and great shuttle services to ferries and airport. ..dining a bit lax as staff try and rush you out near end of dining service...not on Auberge. .the guest comes first...Overall good value..swanky and far enough out of town to be cool and chic as well as avant garde...will go back..we stayed 10 days...another 10 would be OK too...

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Derek C, Director of Operations at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear travlbloke

Thank you for your lovely review on Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and liked our unique style.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another 10 days or more!

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

As a resort hotel, convenient location near downtown with choices of free transfer points and public buses.
Spacious and open area to walk, run, breath and catch the sunshine.
bigger and cozier room than other hotels in HK.
Excellent staff service - genuine helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: book a family suite than separate rooms for four to five people.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Irene L
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is a total unexpected and surprise for our stay especially in Hong Kong. It is rare to have hotel in a quiet, private, with SPACE and friendly services!!
We had a ocean view, the room was big. You could take your shower with a view, and it had 3 difference setting, pretty cool- regular shower, or rain shower, or waterfall to fill it our as a bath tub.
The food is excellence in this hotel but you can also walk to many Italian restaurants.
Only 25 mins away from the airport - $35 HK for the bus ride - stop right at the door.
Downside, is, you have to pay for your internet - only 2 hrs free. But the fee is minimum like $40 HK per hr if you need more. Don't remember the daily rate as 2 hrs for me is more than enough.
We stayed at Novotel and Regal - 2 difference hotels that near airport but I will come back to this anytime. Second choice would be Novotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors, conner rooms - full view of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear irene_ng

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

We are truly delighted to hear that we have exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your review is much appreciated and looking forward to welcoming you back!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The time I played a visit to Auberge, I deliberately picked weekdays stay. It won't be difficult for overseas tourists to locate themselves from the Airport to the Hotel, after all, Auberge offers shuttle bus service with schedule available on line (http://www.aubergediscoverybay.com/destination/transportation). It would be the same to locals who would like to find their way to the hotel, the key is to match the bus schedule so that you can remain seated, take a nap on the journey and arrive at the site with no expense of efforts!

I picked the hotel partially because it is pretty remote from the urban area, and imagined myself with more exposure to fresh air, scenic sea view backed by green hills, which shall be a short escape from the hustle city life.

The moment I arrived there, my expectation was visualized. It was exotic in a sense no tall and cramped buildings were in sight. Yet there was premises sale promotion nearby, reminding you the reality that it was no distance from the Hong Kong we are so familiar with.

Lobby, Reception and Catering in Hotel
The reception area and the lobby was spacious (well.. pardon me if you have been to lots of spacious hotels, I shall mean as comparing with many urban hotels in cities). The catering area is steps afar, composed of both indoor and outdoor area close to the seafront. The area appeared busy, at lunch, they might have a wedding banquet of a party, at dinner time, the annual party of a firm, and breakfast, visitors staying at the hotel. Decoration changed from time to time, I could tell how hard-working the staff there were, yet I haven't tried the food and thus would not be able to comment on its services. They also offer room-catering service.

Room
When I reserved a room online, I could choose to reserve a sea view one or one with hill-side view. The sea-view one priced higher cause there is only one 180-degree room on each floor, which is located at one edge of the hotel. I chose the hill-side one and marked I needed a non-smoking room on the reservation note (as I remember there was no item to show my preference for smoking or non-smoking room).
The room was pretty spacious, and so do the queen size bed. The layout was pretty modern, with clear temper window bathroom that one could choose to see through it to the living/ sleeping area with TV set by sliding up the curtain, or pull it down to allow more privacy. This interior amazes me most!
The bathing items were a complete spoil to the environment. I felt guilty consuming the bottled bathing gel, shampoo and conditioner there. They were small, very non-user-friendly as I could hardly get any liquid flew smoothly from inside, and the portion was not right to the summer season when swimming shall be taken as a key activity there.
The furniture and fittings were overall new and fresh, with a theme of sea decoration as its interior design. The overall interior design of the hotel shows a sense of integrity, which makes it a very comfy and nice place for wedding too.
When I walked towards the sea, except jellyfish, all I saw were garbage scattering around and washing to the coast. I had a conclusion the sea view might not live up much to my expectation, and if any sea view room is to be chosen, I would not pick rooms of this hotel.

Catering around the hotel
I did most of my catering in Discovery Bay North Plaza. If you want to see more about the resort area, you can consider the restaurants and coffee shops nearby. There are an Indian restaurant, an Italian fast food serving beers and big pizza, another Italian one serving fine-dining, a coffee shop, and a Brazilian BBQ restaurant. If you lose your appetite in summer, of if you want something light for breakfast or bunch, you can find quite a number of choices in the supermarket, where bakery is available too.

Discovery Bay North Plaza
It was as if the region was reserved for the privileged, with western couples taking a sip of coffee at weekdays, reading newspapers and magazines while playing with their babies, kids and pets. Then, at about 9am something, crowds gradually left the coffee shop for work. It was a tiny "fairy tale" village with residential area, a shopping complex with supermarket, barber, furniture and fitting store, laundry, a few restaurants on the ground floor. Kindergarten, art and craftsmanship studio, design firm, spa and treatment store, modelling and stylist studio, are steps nearby, in rental area in villa. The place was a demonstration of the desirable living style in ads.

Complimentary to accommodation
Our reservation consists of free wifi service. It cost about HK$19k per night. There were two bottles of distilled water, which could be crucial for hot summer days in HK. The coffee bar offered tea bags and instant coffee of Nestle that I had little interest in. You could take the sea blue slippers in plastic as souvenirs (cost at HK$17 per pair at souvenir shop).

Transportation for sightseeing spots
Bus stops are next to the Plaza, where there are frequent buses to Discovery Bay Plaza and D'Deck, and Sunny Bay.
Byte rental is available too. If you want to experience horse riding around the resort, avoid summer season as the horses need a break then.

Wedding
The glass chapel is the landmark of the hotel. I could imagine how it is being inside - surrounded by water, feeling as if you are engaging in the wedding event in the middle of the sea. It appears very comparable to overseas wedding venues.

When wedding event was held there, I saw staff blocking people's way walking near the chapel. It is not unexpected as passer-bys could be disturbing to the wedding when one can see clearly from inside. This would also affect photo-taking too.

A new complex was under construction the time I played a visit. Probably, it was an extension of the catering service near the class chapel designed particularly for wedding events. Closed to the private premises, it would also be prepared for potential residents of the region.

The hotel offers also alternative to the glass chapel. An open-ended area by poolside. When there was a wedding occasion, decorations were in place, and it could house around 30 guests along the path.

Gym and Swimming Pool
The pool area was good for both swimming and relaxing. I saw people enjoy sunshine and reading on the benches by the pool, took a break in jacuzzi. As for swimmers, the pool was pretty standard in depth and width for practising,and scenic enough for a sunset breakout.

It was, though, I felt it quite annoying a Mainland visitor took his camera shooting around for a pretty long time. And it seemed the safe guards could not do much about it. As for the towels, I hate to tell it smelt.

So, that was pretty much of my sharing based on my experience. One last tip was.. you might want to avoid weekend. When I departed from the hotel at noon at weekend, a flock of people dashed to the hotel checking in (though the official time for stay starts at 3pm).. I was quite relieved I picked weekdays then.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy W
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked this hotel for 1 night only but this hotel gave me an AWFUL experience!!!

1. Official check-in time is 3 PM. But I got my room ready at 4 PM!

When we arrived, its was 3:10 PM. There is a long queue of visitors for check-in procedures. It took me about 20 mins to be served.

HOWEVER, the front desk told me NO ROOM in this hotel was ready as the cleaning is not yet finished. I was really surprised about that and I was told to wait for 1 HOUR (i.e. 4:30PM) to have my room ready!!!

For immediate notification of the availability, i left my mobile number for contact. Around 4 PM, i went to the front desk AGAIN (need to queue up AGAIN) and saw those who check-in now can have their room without waiting!! HOWEVER, NO ONE is calling back (To tell me there is room available) !!!

This is totally unexpected service!! The one who serve us is a trainee and her attitude is far below professional standard as well.

2. Check-out procedure is inconvenience !!!

When visitors check-in, we need to pay HKD 500 as deposit, either by credit card or cash. We choose paid by cash. When check-out, there is a " drop Box" for quicker check-out and we just need to fill in a form and drop our key into the box!

HOWEVER, it is not applicable for those who paid cash for deposit! THUS, we have to wait another 20 mins for my check-out (which should be rather simple).

Actually, i think hotel should separate the queue for check-in and check-out. Time is totally wasted due to the queue!!! Besides, front desk should explain the details of check-out before i choose the payment method of the deposit!

Overall:

I am very disappointed to the service (front desk) of this hotel!!! Even though the room quality is good, i wont visit anymore.

Room Tip: the noise barrier of the room is not good as my room located near the lobby!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank shalsl
Derek C, Director of Operations at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear shar0n221

Thank you very much for sparing your time to write us a review following your recent stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

I am very sorry to read about the experience you had during your stay with us. Our Department Heads are looking into the issues regarding the check-in and check-out procedures and speak with individual team member to ensure they understand our guest expectation.

Thank you again for your valuable comments. We hope to welcome you to the hotel again and give us a chance to win your confidence back.

New Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

the first thing here to understand is that Discovery Bay is a 'resort City' its a natural reserve so there are no Taxi's or MTR running to this area. the nearest place to connect on the MTR is Sunny Bay station, form there you have the Hotels shuttle and DBay Buses running (pretty frequently).

also there is a ferry from central pier running to the DDeck from there again you have the hotel Shuttle or buses running to the hotel.

once you are in the hotel is beautiful. we stayed in the hotel to go to Diney land. the hotel again has shuttles running to Disney land (the return is on 8:40 PM and the final parade and fireworks are at 9:00 :(

the hotel is beautiful, the rooms are nice and big. the staff is very nice. the hotel is very clean, the pool is beautiful. the kids club lovely. every thing about the hotel is very nice. there is a plaza right next to the hotel so you have choice of Fast food Italian, Indian Food. Brazilian and Spanish food also there is a big Super store there.

Room Tip: Choose a High Floor, towards the pool. even if you don't have a Ocean view no problem the DB Pla...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
2 Thank AnjKumar
Dear AnjKumar

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and sharing with us your experience on your recent stay.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and your lovely comments on the property are very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights with my family the rooms were of good size, friendly and helpful staff, location was excellent, services were fast. Shuttle services were good and on time. Food was very good . A great place to stay .

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear amit c

Thank you very much for staying at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and taking your time out to write us a review.

We are glad that you and your family had an enjoyable experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family to the hotel for another memorable experience soon.