“Brand new hotel, nice rooms but service are still lacking”

Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin
Ranked #70 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
United States
“Brand new hotel, nice rooms but service are still lacking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

This hotel is brand new, so its very nicely designed. Their club room is very nice, but the foods sucks (maybe because I stay at 5 stars hotels all the times), but if you don't stay at a lot of hotels, then I think you;ll be ok.

However what made my experience here not enjoyable at all was the customer service! I always came into the lounge really late when they are almost closed and I noticed the club lounge guy would rush to hide the "wine". I don't even drink at all, but I think this is a low budget hotel, so they have a lot of people "stealing" foods or something. I stayed here for a night because I wanted to visit Sai Kung.

The hotel is brand new and there are still a bunch of glitches associated with it - especially the electrical outlet. I plugged my iPhone into the wall and it burned up. It didn't even burn up at any place except this one. At other hotels, they would have replaced me with one that they have at the hotel, but this hotel is really cheap and tried to put the blame on me that its was my iPhone charger that caused the short circuit. A whole bunch of people were in my room at 12 AM for several hours trying to figure out what could have cause my charger to be burn. They could've easily give me one of the ones they have in house, but I can't believe they wouldn't. However, the lady manager there was really sweet, she ended up giving me her own charger. If it wasn't for her, I would have called up Marriott customer service line and get to the bottom of this.

By the time they left, all the nearby restaurants were closed so I ordered in room service. The rice were dried (Literally Dried and hard as rock). Too tired and hungry to complaint and I know they would probably tried to find some excuse to shift the fault away from them anyway, I ate the foods and went to bed. Breakfast was so bad, I didn't even eat anything. However I have to say, the design of the club room with the glass windows is absolutely gorgeous.

Everytime I walk down stairs, they have this creepy security guy (old and kinda chubby) and giving you a mean dirty look (maybe because I dress so casual).

So I don't really know how to rate this hotel. Its new and very pretty, but its in a poor area, so I kind of understand the service type. As a Marriott Platinum member and staying at so many top Marriott, using my typical standards may not be quite fair to them. However, it is true that I didn't enjoy my stay here.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing is probably better.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CloverIsSweet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Surabaya, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

The service is excellent.
The room is excellent.
The staff is excellent.
Everything is here, and you couldnt ask for better
There is a convenience store below, and to get 24hr food, you can take the taxi to nearby food court.
In front of hotel, there is bus stop which can take u anywhere in HK including to Airport
The location is in Sha Tin, which is pretty far away from city, Shek Mun MTR station only 2 blocks walking distance

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We arrived at the hotel after getting scammed by the taxi driver from the airport (always remember to keep the card that is given to you by the airport staff, it has the taxi number written on it so you can complain in case of anything). We were pretty unhappy with that experience but the staff were friendly and gave us our room earlier, which made us feel better.

The room was pretty small, but most hotel rooms in Hong Kong are small. It was nicely furnished, had all the necessities and we were definitely happy to come back to the room every night after all the walking.

The location of the hotel is not as convenient and the MTR station is about 10 minutes walk away but there is a shuttle bus that takes you to the nearest MTR station. There's a local cha chan teng directly opposite the hotel which has nice and cheap comfort food for breakfast and around the area there are a few eateries and convenience stores.

The best part of the experience is that the staff there were extremely friendly and helpful, always greeting us enthusiastically and ready to help us! They also gave us good advice about when we should go to which places depending on the weather conditions. Thank you for the hospitality!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Corinth, MS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights on a recent trip to Hong Kong. The room was wonderful. It was very spacious for a Hong Kong hotel and I had a nice view of the river. The gym is clean with new equipment and was deserted both times I used it. There is also a pedestrian/cycling track along the river within 5 minutes of the hotel. That's the good part. The bad part is the location. It takes close to an hour and at least 3 transfers to get anywhere in the city. Also, there are not any good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel so you will need to eat at Momo Cafe. The food is good, but it is pricy. Note that the room service prices are the same as the cafe. If I had known this, I would just have had room service since I was traveling alone. It is convenient for travel to Shenzhen especially if you take a taxi to University station. Otherwise, you can walk to the Shek Mun station on the Ma On Shan line. If you arrive on the train, there is a ground floor entrance which is not well marked on right side of the hotel. Otherwise, you will have to haul luggage up a lot of stairs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
China, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Rooms are clean but hold out little hallway noise. When your neighbor's door closes, it will sound as if someone is breaking into your room. Beds were a bit firm for me.

Location makes it a poor choice for the tourist. From hotel to central on the metro requires at least 45 minutes and three transfers.

Staff was stubborn and uncaring about a minor misunderstanding.

On the positive side, there is a small shop around the corner from he lobby.

Again: it's comparatively cheap for good reason, so beware.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Shaka13
Amanda H, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your valuable comment.

We do appologize for any inconvenience caused. We appreciate if we could contact you for further understanding the case.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Sha Tin. It is actually near a MTR station called Shek Mum. When you travel from city center like Tsim Sha Tsui or Central you need to transfer train for a few times to get there. Itis about 5 minutes walk from the MTR station. It is in an industrial district. There is a coffee shop a block away. The food was good. There are no good restaurant, except the ones inside the hotel. The closest shopping and restaurant is at the so call #1 City. Taxi can take you there fo HK $30.

I am a platinum member and was upgraded to an upper level room (not suite) and given lounge access. The view of the river was nice. There were a few snacks during evening happy hour, with beer and wine. Breakfast was pretty good. The lounge open till midnight, if you need sode, water or coffee.

If you can get used to the MTR system to get there, this is a nice hotel. The rate is reasonable. Service was great. Gym is clean with adequate machines. The pool was nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with view of the river.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tom Y
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I am from usa and I was vacationing in Hong Kong, Japan and Philippines. By far, this hotel met all of my expectation. Everything was in order, no problems of any kind. Please try the MoMo Cafe Restaurant. Its a bit expensive but I am sure you will enjoy it.........Have Fun ! JamesNeil ..byeee

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo