“Saturday brunch is worth a visit”
Review of Catalunya

Catalunya
Ranked #465 of 9,957 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We went for Saturday brunch. The $680 hkd prict tag is well worth it.
You will get a very high end brunch spread with all of your salads, meats, cheeses and some hot food (meatballs etc). You also get all you can eat omelettes and bikini sandwiches. This is all worth the price alone and all very well done.

You also get to share lamb (was overcooked for us), suckling pig (amazing) and salted fish.

You also get a huge dessert spread. I would highly recommend this and would do it again. Reservations a must.

Not a good option for young children.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent mezze selections/dips/grilled cheeses/salads and a slow-roasted lamb that was cooked perfectly. Each dish was done well, but the options could be a bit more generous, especially for the prices... Staff was friendly, knowledgable and helpful. Only three (fully priced) Greek wines on the menu, and one sold-out... so a bit disappointing, but hopefully that will improve as the place gets its legs. All-in, a great meal.

1  Thank DJSinHKG
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I went on a Thursday night at 8:30. The restaurant is very big by Hong Kong standard. The bar area was empty. I ordered a Hendricks martini which ended up being 200HKD and was 1/2 full. The restaurant was full but by 9:30pm the place was emptying out.

The service was painfully slow. We got our tapas 30 minutes after we ordered.

The gambas al gillo came cold and stuck in a glass like shrimp cocktails and the sauce was heavy mayonaise.

The food in fact, each dish was heavily sauced in butter like, cream or mayonaise.

By your third tapas - you are sharing - you just feel as if your tongue was coated.

Each tapas that we ordered: 2 specials, octopus, pulled pork with truffles were.. meh. The suckling pork was dry and
Tough With a lemon sweet sauce, the cod fritters
were cod+potatoe fritters were actually good if you like food.

The tortilla de patate came with scrambled egg on top with slices of chorizo on a bed of what tasted like mash potatoes.

The wine list was fair - margins/mark up was higher than average.

We sat by the window: My view was into a storage room. Air-conditioning was less in that area - which was fine for me.

The music, however, was really loud and over powering. I was told by a staff that they did that to drown out the police and ambulance sirens that whiz by regularly. This happened at least 4 or 5 times while we were there. So, the staff has a point.

All in all I wouldn't spend another $300 USD for 2 again there. Not for that food and service (and ambience).

1  Thank samantha p
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Working in the F&B restaurant trade for +20 years in the development field I have had my fair share of restaurant experiences as this is in fact part of my job. Born and raised in Europe, I had the privilege of visiting Spain 4-5 times a year for 11 years as we had our major F&B operation there. I am certainly not an expert in Spanish cuisine in general and Tapas in particular but it is fair to say I have had my fair share of indulging this particular category. Barcelona is also for sure my favourite city in Europe and I do have local friends there. It was therefore with great anticipation we went to Catalunya for lunch yesterday as we had failed to get a table for dinner on numerous occasions. It started well as the pace looks impeccable and the staff was both charming, informed and willing to please. The wine list was small but interesting and we were impressed by both the CAVA and both white wines served by the glass. We came for the tapas and we were surprised how ordinary it was. Avoiding the most generic dishes we ended up ordering the lobster and veal terrine, the "bombas" and the Tortilla de Trampo. While our original idea was to keep ordering more, we did not do so as all dishes were ordinary without any real taste sensations but with prices not justifying what was served. In fact the cost of ingredients for a majority of the dishes seems to be 15% at most, which is great for the owners but less so for the patrons. Therefore don't listen to the hype. It's just another ordinary restaurant with inflated prices

3  Thank antoniopersson
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I had lunch at Catalunya in Hong Kong today. We'd previously visited the Singapore branch of the same name. I understand they've only recently opened for lunch.

As expected the food was of a high quality. We started with some tapas, the molecular olives were a standout as they had been previously. However the cheese and Iberico ham were also excellent, as was the "bikini". The tomato toast was mediocre and I am not sure I would order it again.

We followed up with the rib eye for two people along with potato and cabbage. The potato never arrived but the steak and cabbage were excellent, particularly the cabbage, which had a flavour that was hard to describe. We didn't have dessert, but washed this down with coffee at the end.

In terms of wine, we knew next to nothing about Spanish wine and had to rely on the sommelier, who recommended a grape variety I had not heard of previously. The wine was light and perfect for a lunch date. I guess the querrulous could lament the lack of international wines in the list, but I'd be happy to recommend the Lacima we tried.

The big let down was the service I suppose. The sommelier was excellent in her choice of wine and the very tall Western chap was witty, discrete and affable enough to be personable without invasive (a hard trick to pull off) - the perfect waiter in my view. So where's the downside I hear you say? Unfortunately it was the Chinese gentleman, who took our order. He missed the cheese platter (which only became apparent when he asked if we'd like more tapas, and we suggested the delivery of the cheese platter we'd ordered). In addition we ordered some mashed potato with the steak and this never arrived, though to be fair, we didn't miss it. It was a shame as the service other than this was of a standard you'd rarely experience, even at such a high class restaurant.

Overall the lunch was superb and the service exemplary, leaving out the oversight of one waiter, and I feel it slightly unfair to mark down what was a very decent experience and one we'd look to repeat in the near future.

Highly recommended, if a touch pricey, for lunch.