“Great location, clean and modern rooms to an affordable price”
Review of The Luxe Manor

The Luxe Manor
Ranked #39 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Great location on the Kowloon side, within easy walking distance to sights and stores in Kowloon as well as to the Star Ferry to HK and Macau etc. The hotel is clean and modern. The design is a little different and very artistic and artsy. As an example, I had two “porcelain dog lamps” at the bedside and a pink leather chair at the desk. So yes, it is trendy but very affordable considering the standard of the service, the cleanliness of the rooms and the convenient location. The downside was the breakfast as it was a little too crowded in the mornings during peak hours. It is however a good choice as it had a large selection of western and Chinese breakfast options. I would highly recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, both couples as well as business travelers.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DavidReiser
There are newer reviews for The Luxe Manor

Reviewed 28 September 2011

As far as boutique hotels go, this was a very nice hotel. Typically of many boutique hotels that I've stayed, the rooms are quite "intimate", no doubt, but the rooms were clean and the location is fantastic. Extremely easy to get to from the airport without having to splurge for a taxi - buy a ticket just outside of arrivals for the airport express, two stops to Kowloon station, and then take the free k4 shuttle that stops right in front of the hotel... Very economical and convenient. Free breakfast was very nice, can't complain. You can't really compare it to the grand 5 star hk hotels, but for a boutique hotel, definitely top of it's class. Now, the one device per room free wifi is quite a silly policy, especially if you have two guests or if you have a blackberry and an iPad for example. Better than having no free wifi, I suppose, but this is a pretty big disappointment for me given the trendiness of the hotel and likelihood that the clientele will largely be tech-savvy.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Hip, Jazzy, Trendy, Funky you can use any adjective for this hotel. This is a brainchild of a creative genius. Hong Kong is very expensive (for Indians) and I guess hotels in Hong Kong have amongst the smallest rooms in the world. Needless to say room in Luxe Manor was very small (you can add another very) and the bathroom v.v.v.very small. But decor, out of the world for the people who are not scared of surprises and shocks.

Room was not ready even at 3 p.m. Receptionist said we would get one at about 6 p.m. Promised to upgrade us to a higher category room. Luckily we had come from Macau so did not require a room immediately but would be of great inconvenience after a long flight. No change in size even for high priced room.

Location is good for tourists, bang in the middle of shopping area. Not much of nightlife I think. Breakfast okay. Airport shuttle available at doorstep. Go for it if you get the rate you are looking for.

Room Tip: all rooms are small only difference in bed sizes.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2011

"Quirky" it is, but unusual and great location. Great breakfasts. Only negative is the double bed and not a queen. The free shuttle bus from the airport express train stops at the door. 100 meters down Kimberley Road is Nomad's Mongolian Restaurant where you can select the ingredients for you dinner, which are then cooked and brought to your table. You can eat as much as you like for $190HK.
In the lane behind the hotel are lots of other great places to eat.
Location means you can walk to markets, ferries, and anywhere else you want to go. Don't miss a stroll through Kowloon Park nearby, where you can see lots of interesting things including flamingoes. Great hotel to stay with friendly staff .

Room Tip: We booked through Hotel.com and got a good room at a good price.
1  Thank DianaJMike
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I am a single, Australian female traveller who stayed at the Luxe Manor for 3 nights in September 2011. I fwould rate this a solid 4 star hotel, by my standards. It is in a great location in TST. I was especially impressed with the free buffet breakfast. Sure, it not your resort style, with table after table of food, cooked while you wait - but is a great little addition that is included in the cost. The buffet did not include fried eggs and bacon, but they happily made it for me each morning. The service is fast and efficient. After booking this hotel on the back of trip adviser reviews, I was a litle worried as some reviews after I booked were not so good. I would not agree with them, particularly not that this is a two start hotel (this reviewer needs to go stay at two star!!). The free wifi was also a plus. The decor is a little quirky, some of it works, some of it doesn't - but overall, I was a satisfied guest who would recommend the property.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank LizM26
Reviewed 18 September 2011

To be honest, I am not a fan of the printed decor. The room looks like the combination result of high quality furniture and sub-standard printing stickers. Put that aside, I love this hotel's location. It is close to MTR station, shops, malls, restaurants, bars, 7 Elevens, even McDonalds! In fact, we found most of the items we liked and eventually bought from the shops around here. Breakfast was good, but the food selections can be improved. We would consider to stay here again should we have another trip to HK.

Room Tip: Try to dine at Knutsford Terrace on the street behind the hotel. Lots of good restaurants with good...
1  Thank mayks
Reviewed 11 September 2011

It was a solid 4-star hotel. You could certainly see entitled clients, upset that this hotel was not a 5-star hotel, and they certainly did not seem happy that staff were not bowing to every one of their needs.

For the most part, the room was clean. There were NO BED BUGS, unlike other comments from other users. The bathrooms were generally clean. The toilet water, at times, did not smell that great but I don't think that this is a fault of the hotel. The bathroom also did not have a bathtub, which near the end of our trip, we started to miss. Shower heads were nice but I agree with other clients that the shower curtains were less than ideal. They did have a slight foul odour to them and I am sure that if I asked, they would have changed it. The bathroom only had small signs of black mold starting to creep in-between tiles, but was certainly not as bad as some of the other hotels that I've stayed. I am guessing that mold is fairly common in a tropical area like Hong Kong.

The room was a good size, but we upgraded to the studio room. I suspect that most rooms in Hong Kong are quite small these days. The bed was a large king, as requested, and was of a firm quality. Some may prefer softer. The TV system was annoying to use, as the remote was very slow and unresponsive, even with a battery change. The internet was complimentary with our package, but only for 1 computer. 1 of the staff was kind enough to give us another code free, but several of the other staff were quite tight. The speed of the internet was good.

We also had complimentary breakfast every morning at the Finds restaurant downstairs. I agree that the selection did become a bit boring after our whole trip, as there are no changes from day-to-day, but it was free. We didn't have any stomach issues, so I am presuming the food was safe and clean to eat. Breakfast was from 6:30 am to 10:30 am and I would suggest you eat between those times, otherwise they provide a very plain set meal for dinner and lunch. I know there was a more fancy restaurant, but we did not attend.

Our package also included complimentary drinks at the Dada Lounge but I had to ask for the coupons as on 2 separate occasions of staying there, they "conveniently" forgot to give us the coupons twice. The lounge was not bad, but certainly you'd need to have it match your taste.

For the most part, the service was good. We ordered room service on a couple of occasions, but the staff had difficulties with the english. Although our orders were always correct, it take a small number of repetitions on the phone for the staff to understand our order.

The fitness centre was quite small, but it was nice to use for the most part. There are 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical trainer, and 1 bike. There are a small number of weights. For the most part, it was quite quiet and clean in there, until the day before we left. The maintenance crew were jackhammering something in the bathroom, it was quite annoying and loud. We had to leave before we finished our workout. We would have appreciated some sort of warning in advance. There is NO spa, and NO swimming pool.

The location of the hotel was great! Fairly close to the MTR, (5 minutes) although I've read that some clients preferred it to be closer, or would have liked someone to have brought the MTR to them. There was close access to the Miramar shopping centre, and to Knutsford Steps which are both nice to visit.

I'd have to say, all-in-all that we were happy with our accommodations, and the staff. Like I said before, it is not a 5-star hotel in the class of the Mandarin, Peninsula, Shangri-La, Four Seasons, etc...so entitled travellers should be aware of that. I think that the most annoying part of our stay were watching those entitled travellers complaining about the service or the staff. My suggestion would be if you are looking for a reasonably priced, well-located, and small hotel, that this might be the place for you. If you want a fancy, 5-star hotel, with all of the amenities, and where the staff beckon at your every call, spend the little bit extra, don't stay here, and quit complaining. Just my 2 cents.

Room Tip: We stayed on the side, away from Knutsford Steps. It was fairly quiet facing the street.
2  Thank Jonathan K