“Bureaucratic staff”

and 1 more site!
Anne Black Guest House (YWCA)
Ranked #355 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We were trying to check in at about 11pm, which was nearing my baby’s bedtime.
I had made the booking in my name and I showed them my ID (UK passport and HK ID card) and immigration card they required to check in.
But because my husband was also going to be staying in the same room as me, they wanted to see his ID and immigration card as well. He was holding our baby and did not have it handy.
So we asked if we could go up to the room, put our baby down to sleep, so that he can go through our luggage to find the information they wanted and then bring it them five minutes later.
To our surprise, they said no!
So we asked the reception staff to be a little reasonable and in the end, they gave me the key and I had to be escorted by security up to the room with my baby.
Meanwhile, my husband was not allowed to go up to the room until he could produce the info. Which meant that he had to open up our suitcases in the lobby in view of everyone to fish for his UK passport and immigration card. He’d only managed to find his UK passport. Because at some point since he’d entered China a week ago, he’d lost his immigration card (or most likely baby was playing with it and put it somewhere else).
You would have thought that him being a British white man, married to a HK citizen, showing his passport as proof of ID would be enough for him to check into this place, but no!
Honestly, what criminal act did they think he was going to commit while he was staying there with his wife and baby?
The staff went on and on about seeing it. My husband was furious and in the end, after about half an hour of arguing, they relented and let him up to the room.
We had a room on the top floor, which was clean and large enough to move around in. But the traffic noise was still extremely loud even up there, not to mention the loud air-con unit. Which meant baby kept waking up.
They had wanted extra money for a cot and so we just pushed the two beds together to all co-sleep. The mattresses were like cardboard and because there were no headrests and the night lamps were just above the bed, baby kept banging her head into the wall or the lamps and we had a lot of tears.
During our stay, there was some deranged guy down the hall who kept banging a door. Where was the security staff when they are actually needed to sort people out like that?
The only really good thing about this place was the location, being in Kowloon. But it’s still a fair distance to the MTR station, which meant we took buses and taxis a lot. From the MTR station, you have to get yourself opposite the fire station to catch a taxi. This could take about 20 mins of waiting on the street in the evening. But with a baby, pram…it was worth the wait.
There’s a little park next to the YWCA and baby loved that.
I paid over US$100 a night to stay here during the high season. It was about the only affordable place left in HK that wasn’t in the middle of nowhere. At the end of the day, I don’t feel as if I had much choice but to stay here when I did. I’ll just have to try to avoid staying in HK during the high season in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank kittyra1

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Location is perfect if you like to stay at the Kowloon area. Hotel was nice and clean, but nothing special. You can walk everywhere from here ;) And the bus from the airport comes pretty close. There´s a restaurant at the hotel but we didn´t go there since the breakfast wasn´t included. Roms were tiny but ok, we had a fridge, sink and TV too.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank soikkeli
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Our twin room was very very spacious and just so wonderful for a Hong Kong hotel. The room and bathroom was tidy clean and very pleasant. The hallways are in dire need of paint and refurbishment but just close your eyes to that - does it really matter? This is after all a budget priced hotel.,

Beds are very firm indeed. Be warned

Adequate wifi service in the lobby.

Takes a little longer than most hotels to get to nearest MTR station, but the walk is good for you. The staff very helpful and polite friendly.

Full recommendation.

Room Tip: We were on top floor = great and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Peter T
Reviewed 10 November 2012

3 years ago, a friend came and stayed here for a few days. Back then, she paid $400 a day and she said it was alright. So I booked it. But what a mistake!! The place is like a dump! Before I even got to my room, I could see the hallway was badly stained with grimes and hand prints everywhere, paint peeling off the wall, carpet was all stained. Under dim lighting, it looked like a public building in some very poor neighbourhood. I had a feeling I might get mugged any time.

Wait! This horror story continued. As soon as I got into the room and turned on the light, a couple of roaches ran for cover. I was horrified!! The sheets were stained. Luckily I brought my sleeping bed liner with me for hiking trips. But never would I expect to be using it in Hong Kong!! I paid HKD 880 in total a day which equates to USD115. 10% service fee was charged (what service?!) This is highway robbery!! Huge rip off.

I booked for 2 nights but immediately went downstairs to request cancellation of the second night. I will never ever come back here. This is worse then any youth hostels I have stayed in while travelling in Bali or Thailand. I would never have guessed that it could be like that in HK! So beware of what you are getting into.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Lisaman
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed in the hotel from 13/10/2012 for 7 nights on 14th floor in a room close to the elevator. The room was relatively spacious for Hong Kong standards, with basic amenities, but was very clean. The bed was adequate for us but the mattress was a bit hard. The reception staff was always ready to help with a smile. They even went an extra mile to indicate exactly what bus I should take to go to the hotel where the training was being conducted. The house-keeping staff too did an excellent job and ensured that the room was spick and span when I returned tired after the training. On the last day of training, my husband and baby daughter joined me and stayed in the hotel for 1 night. When we checked out, the gentlement at the reception was very helpful in flagging down a taxi to go to Hong Kong Island for the next leg of our journey, when he carried a few luggages with my husband asking me to take care of the baby daughter. The hotel does not provide tea/coffee or meals but there is a kettle for boiling water and the restaurant in the ground floor offers meals at quite reasonable rates. We were disturbed due to noise of guests talking loudly on the same floor and the hotel should ensure that silence is maintained in corridors. The elevators in the hotel are not spacious and I had to wait for about 15 minutes or so to reach ground floor on several occasions.

Room Tip: Select a room on a higher floor close to the elevator, ensure that you take your own coffee/tea, and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank T_Senaratne
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Pros: price, friendly staff, location

Cons: small, dingy rooms; no proper blinds on the windows, the noisiest aircon I have EVER experienced in a hostel or hotel. I actually didn't sleep at all. Our window wouldn't shut properly so the constant traffic noise also kept us awake all night.
You are advised by the staff to lock yourself into the bathrooms for 'security reasons' (!!). There were also posters up the day we arrived warning guests that the whole guesthouse was going to be fumigated due to an infestation
Stay somewhere else!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank czechmate
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I spent 3 nights here and will probably go back next time I'm in HK. The room was small and simple, but clean. There was no bathroom in my room, but there was a sink. The shared bathroom was well kept. The location is just okay, it's about a 10 min walk from Mongkok East station. It's part way up a hill off of the main thoroughfare and there was never a problem with noise. The staff at the front desk spoke English and looked much more professional than I expected. The other places I've stayed at in HK in that price range were not as clean, and the places I've stayed at that were in locations I love had prices that reflect it. So all in all, I think this place is a good deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple