“Save yourselves the stress and book a nicer place!”
Review of 9 Boutique Hotel

9 Boutique Hotel
Ranked #454 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I'm usually very quick with reviews but I must admit I have been putting off this review for more than a week now because I wanted to be objective about my thoughts (as opposed to being caught up in the moment).

My husband and I booked for a night in this hotel via Asia Web Direct. Having visited Hong Kong in 2012, and having stayed in Kowloon this time around we wanted to stay in central Hong Kong. We were in Hong Kong for a cruise and our tour agent arranged for us to stay at the Regal Oriental for 2 nights (you can read my review on that hotel separately).

We took a taxi to 9 boutique hotel and showed the driver the address in English. The driver requested for the Chinese address and we had to use his mobile to look it up. 9 boutique is located on 70 Lee Garden Road but the driver could not locate this elusive road. So he drove us round and round and round and when he got tired he ejected us on a street which read 49 Lee Garden Road, with two suitcases, a carrier bag.

We asked a security guard of a building where is 70 Lee Garden Road and we were directed to walk straight ahead and so we did. We walked and walked but just could not locate the 9 boutique although we had knowledge it's located upstairs and not on street level but we still could not find it.

With frustrations and tensions mounting high we had no choice but to incur international roaming charges and call 9 boutique for directions. The phone rang and rang and there was no answer so we tried over and over again and on the third attempt, a foreign female (not Chinese) answered the phone in a giggly tone apologetic because she "just woke up" with more sheepish laughter. Can you imagine how boiling mad I was? There I was in the middle of a frantic Hong Kong street with two bulky suitcases, lost, flustered, irritated I paid over 200 hkd for a cab just to end up having to walk looking high and low for this place and the staff can tell me "oops sorry I just woke up." The directions she offered was completely rubbish. But somehow or other we found the place in the end.

We got into a tiny lift which fits a maximum of 7 persons so you can imagine the size, huffing and panting with the luggages and went up to the 5th floor and when I saw 9 boutique I was absolutely shocked. It was in this dimly lit corridor, it obviously used to be a residential flat of some kind not an apartment, a flat. And the worst part? It's located next to a shady establishment known as the Sweetheart Guest House, we charge HKD140 for 2 hours. Typing this still gives me shudders. What does the Sweetheart Guest House imply? I leave you to make your own judgments.

We walked into 9boutique (it really doesn't deserve to be called hotel) and I was just so put off by its size. Its so tiny and small and the bathroom is just awfully small with the shower next to the toilet and when you shower even the toilet paper gets wet.

I was really upset. To the point I called Asia Web Direct to complain and I really contemplated going someplace else. The only problem was it was already midday we were unfamiliar with the area not knowing which nearby hotels are available and we only made arrangements for 1 night.

That 1 night was the worst time of my life. At 3am there were footsteps, sounds of people talking, the echoes being so loud. It's no wonder management gave us a pair of earplugs. At 7am, shuffling sounds. At 9am, loud drilling and construction sounds. Well, happy Friday to you too. When I complained, the management says we had no prior knowledge and a also you were given earplugs. Wow. First class service right there.

The location of the hotel is quite strategic if you like shopping. We were close to Times Square and plenty of major shopping centres. Local street food was limited and we had to walk a good distance for local restaurants of mediocre standards. The mattress was very comfortable but I couldn't sleep because of the awful noise.

For what it's worth the management did do their best to accommodate us and claimed we were "upgraded" to a bigger room. Our room wasn't big at all and if what we got was big, I would hate to see the other rooms. Plus we got the room by the entrance which was a nightmare because all the noise probably came from Sweetheart Guest house that was located right beyond our walls.

Our room had a leaky air con vent which leaked water into my suitcase and ruined my evening bag. Well done just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. I will post photos and attach them to my review.

There was free high speed wifi but that shouldn't be the price of your peace of mind.

Don't bother staying in central Hong Kong, we had a much more enjoyable time in TST- better food better shopping. But if you must stay in central, please save yourselves and book a chain establishment like ibis or Novotel.

I will not recommend this place for families- because there's no space and I will not recommend it to couples- the tight confines of the room and toilet will kill all romantic notions plus the thought of the sweetheart guest house is nauseating. I will also ask senior citizens to stay away. This place is not senior or handicap friendly at all.

Maybe backpackers will find this luxurious by their backpacking standards.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SnowmanSnipe
9boutiquehotel, Manager at 9 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hello SnowmanSnipe,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I would like to emphasize that there are different types of hotels in the industry. 9 Boutique Hotel is a boutique kind of hotel, we are small in scale, however the amenities are top notch quality.

I agree with your advise to book a chain hotel if you are looking for a chain like hotel service.

However, if you are looking for a personalized service and personal approach of our Team - this is what we stand for at 9 Boutique Hotel. We are always happy to go an extra mile for our guests - no matter what the request is (within reason and legal limits of course :) ).

It was a pleasure to accompany you and your husband to the taxi, even though we had to wait in the rain - we are happy make sure that our guests are safely on their way to the airport - especially after I saw that we have failed to meet your expectations.

We would be more than happy to offer you more advise on the area, tips on food and shopping if you were only willing to listen.

Best regards,
Dorothy & Team

There are newer reviews for 9 Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is a little hard to find, It's in phoenix building, where the exterior is rather old and the lift, terribly slow. But once you get to the reception it's like a totally different atmosphere. As expected in Hong Kong, space is limited and this is applied in the rooms. I would suggest booking their biggest room for couples traveling, and use small luggage if you can.

Staying here was very enjoyable - after reading tripadvisor, I was curious to see who Dorothy was and I must say, everything is true! She's very kind and hospitable. She gave us tips on food places to check out, a quick orientation on where the markets were, and even a free room upgrade. I absolutely love the towel folds, the clean room and free wifi! Will definitely be back when I visit HK again.

Room Tip: Get the biggest room unless you are traveling alone.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9boutiquehotel, Manager at 9 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Catherine,

Thank you for taking time to review us. We very happy to hear that we did not fail your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It was a real pleasure to host you and we hope to have the pleasure again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I spent 4 nights in this hotel. Although the room was small (not much moving room) it was comfortable and clean. The room comes with coffee machine, hair dryer, frig, safe, mineral water, and even chocs. The staff (especially Dorothy) gave excellent service, with small little charming touches, and even brought us downstairs to get a cab when we were leaving. She also gave excellent advice on where to eat & buy stuff.
The hotel is right in the center of everything, next to Times Square (HK), with many shops and eateries around.
However, the hotel may be a bit difficult to find as it is located in a residential block and is one of the many "hotels" in the block.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay, especially due the excellent service of staff.

Room Tip: Request for a bigger room.

Dear David,

Thank you for taking time to review us. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our service, location, amenities and Dorothy's recommendations of foodie treats and shopping bargains. We look forward to see you again soon. Welcome back!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This week we spent 2 nights in this accommodation , good location .The best thing was that it was spotless and beautifully decorated.Within the crowded buildings and local living of hong kong. The staff were probably the best I have encountered for ages, and I travel a lot. Dissapointing was the fact that I booked a deluxe suite out of choice on wotif and paid according to the choice .There is only one deluxe room with one window .In the photos the curtained areas above the beds are mirrors not windows. I found it claustraphobic to not be able to even look out at the street activity below.A concrete windowless cube 2x3.Just be sure you speak to the management when booking , so do it direct.Otherwise its a beautiful room and a bed for the night with wonderful hosts.Bed towel folded animals amusing touch.Perfect for singles , squash for double BUT I would stay here again.Thank you for your hospitality.

Room Tip: book direct with the owners if you like me and want that cute deluxe room with a window.....tiny but...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Karen,

Thank you so much for taking your time to review us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our service, the location, decoration and our Team's attitude. We will make sure to arrange a room with a window for your next stay - just let us know in booking request.

We hope to be your hosts again and we will do our best to get the room with a window for you next time.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

9 Boutique hotel is a great place to stay as it is right in the middle of Causeway Bay - close to so many shops and restaurants!!! The street itself has stalls set up at night time for those looking for a bargain as well :)

I had no issues finding the hotel as I was sent fantastic directions from the team prior to my trip. Fantastic communication as they sent an email a few days beforehand to once again confirm your stay. I met Dorothy who is an absolute sweetheart! She looks like she's in her late 20s but she has a small family already for a few years now! The people who worked there love to have a chat with you so if you get the chance, have a talk with them and they will no doubt recommend you some great locations and restaurants to visit ^^

My room itself was wonderful. Just like the pictures you see on the website. 5 star decor and bedding with additional facilities installed (coffee machine/air conditioner/wide flat screen tv). Yes, the bedroom was small, as I had to place my luggage underneath the bed in order to have room to walk around in the room but no complaints here! Just do you research and be aware of the small space - if you're happy with that then no worries at all! The toilet was inside with the shower which I found interesting and a fantastic use of space. Sometimes other travellers may be loud, but most are respectful and quiet :)

I would not mind seeing the staff at 9 Boutique Hotel again the next time I head off to Hong Kong :)

Room Tip: Request a bedroom with a window - this will allow you to have a view of the ongoings down below but...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
9boutiquehotel, Manager at 9 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Lisa T

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here. We enjoy reading your kind appreciation of our location, amenities and service.

Thanks for recognizing our prime location. We are in the heart of the city. Our aim is to provide our guests luxurious experience in an unbeatable location.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt the hospitality each of us carry in our hearts. We are always very excited to read such comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again to our hotel soon.

Guests like yourself are so cheerful and brightful always motivate us along the way!

Best and warmest regards,
Dorothy and team

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We opted for a deluxe room but ours came with no window (#505). Minor issue as we're out most times.
Very compact room but we do love the furnishings. Luxurious feel with great sealy mattress for a good night's rest, great coffee machine with Pacific coffee, it's made complete with a bar fridge, hair dryer, complete set of bath amenities, safe and cable tv. You could order food too from the list given, it's placed on the safe. Good storage space beneath the bed.
Lady boss, Dorothy is one helpful angel. She would go the extra mile to ensure guests feel good and source for travel info. She even walk you down to get a cab. Charming!
Greg, too is a great staff. Thank you team, for making our stay enjoyable!!
Location is superb! Smack in the heart of CWB, with malls like Times Sq, Hysan Place, Sogo, Lee Gardens and the MTR within 5mins walking distance.
For Muslim traveller like myself, Halal food is all around, no worries of feeling hungry ;)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9boutiquehotel, Manager at 9 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dearest L0vespell,

Thank you very much for your positive review.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with our service and our location.

We endeavor to be the "Mr. Know it all" to our guests. We are glad to have been able to impress you with the our service.

The smiles and satisfaction of our guests is our biggest return.

Guests like yourself are so cheerful and bright always motivate us along the way.

We have enjoyed hosting you, hope to have the pleasurable opportunity to be your host again .

best and warmest regards from Hong Kong

Dorothy and team

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel itself was very clean and well maintained. Your hosts are very accommodating and will try to help you out however they can. It is also very well located in the heart of Causeway bay. Having said all this, the rooms are very small. I had read the reviews but was still quite surprised at the size of them. If you are a single traveler then perhaps the single room is suitable for you otherwise opt for the superior room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9boutiquehotel, Manager at 9 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear euroangelo

Thank you for your kind review.

We are pleased to hear that our cleanliness is up to your expectation. Our housekeeping team is very particular about the standard of the cleanliness. we are extremely lucky to have such a wonderful team,

Our location is truly in the center of the city, our guests can enjoy a location where it is well established and well connected.

To extent our service, we will be more then happy to store our guest luggage until departure to enhance the space if needed.

We are very thankful to your review once again!

best regards,