I had stayed 4 nights in this hotel and I left it, feeling largely contented after my stay here. Firstly, the complimentary shuttle to and from the airport was nice. The hotel was located near a flyover, with some walking distance to the major attractions in HK. The service was impressive ( kudos to the bellboys and foyer staff especially) and I was made to feel welcomed immediately.
When I first received my room on the 19th floor, we had a room with frosted window so we requested to change one with a view instead. Granted, I did not manage to read any Tripadvisor reviews prior to my stay there and had no idea what was in store. When we looked out of our non-frosted window of our 22nd floor room, lo and behold, we got SOME view. The hotel's posterior was facing a cemetery ( Jewish, Chinese, Muslim, Christian etc) terrace cemetery and the HK peaks instead of the hotel's front view of the Happy Valley Race Course.
We thought it was an irony (and hilarious) to be given such a view when we requested for one and a little heads-up by the staff would be nice. We were not bothered by the view which was beautiful in the day but we drew the curtains at night..
Room was spacious enough for two with all the amenities that had came to be expected ( flat screen TV, safe, minibar, drinks-making facilities etc). The firm bed did not bother me and they have an unique menu of a variety of pillows for you to choose from which I did not mull much over.Did not order from the room service menu either as prices are quite steep.
We booked the hotel from Zuji and breakfast ( exorbitant price for add-ons) was not inclusive of the price we paid hence I could not rave much about it. Contrary to the other reviews written by Tripadvisors, I did not see any complimentary fruit in the room, only bottles of mineral water. You can get free wi-fi access only at the hotel lobby.
Two aspects in which the Hotel shines in would be the free shuttle service to most of the major landmarks ( MTRs,Times square, Airport Express Station, HK Convention Center etc) and the fantastic staff (bellboys, chambermaids, foyer staff, some of the reception, guest manager etc).
Everyone was attentive, friendly, helpful and able to answer all my queries and point out directions to places. I was even waited on in the Hotel's washroom by an attendant! ( I don't see this even in 5-star hotels of the country of my residence). They all deserved a Christmas or year-end bonus or something.
Would definitely stay here again and recommend others to it as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong has completed a top-to-bottom overhaul to all its 454 rooms and suites and the hotel lobby. The new lobby welcomes guest with an unexpectedly playful vibe which is apparent on the design elements aimed to captivate one's senses. Each of the newly refurbished room, on the other hand, adopts a meticulous theme including the East-meets-West Victorian and classic Oriental and sleek-contemporary designs to name a few. Refurbished rooms offer a majestic view of the race course adjacent to the hotel, while the redesigned bathrooms feature a refreshing rain shower experience. Every Friday, hotel guests are welcome to join the 'Dorsett Wine Hour' at the lobby during which free flow of wine and canapés are provided. For the kids, there is also a colourfully decorated Candy Bar filled with sweet treats. With a lively neighborhood to explore and a dynamic address amid Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, there is a subway station only an eight-minute stroll away. All hotel guests will be given a specially designed 'Eat & Shop Like A Local' booklet which covers a host of local-recommended eateries and shopping spots in the hotel's neighbourhood, offering guests an authentic Hong Kong experience. The hotel also offers scheduled shuttle services to 16 destinations including Causeway Bay, Wanchai, Central, Admiralty, Quarry Bay and Taikoo. Every guestroom features a portable smart phone for free use inside and outside of the hotel, offering unlimited 3G internet supported by Wi-Fi hotspot sharing function, free local and IDD calls to 9 select countries including Australia, Canada, China, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, UK and US. Other facilities include a gymnasium, meeting rooms accommodating up to 200 delegates, a refurbished bar on the lobby level and Dining House serving Cantonese cuisine. Dorsett Wanchai is an environmentally friendly "green" hotel with a 100% smoke-free policy. It is also an Earthcheck Bronze Benchmarked Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cosmopolitan Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Cosmopolitan Hotel Hong Kong
- Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong