“Over cautious of the weather”

Hong Kong Disneyland
Ranked #15 of 830 things to do in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: Grand Opening: September 12, 2005
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We arrived from Hong Kong Island via MTR from Hong Kong station and changed onto the Disney Train. A tip would be to purchase your tickets before you arrive, either online or at the basement of the Hong Kong train station.

This was my first visit to a Disneyland, so on entry I turned into a big kid when I saw the characters. There park is well laid out and you can use Fast Pass on two of the rides: Space Mountain and Winnie the Pooh. Space mountain is a great ride for adults and older kids. Winnie the Pooh is 100% for the small children.

We enjoyed seeing all of the characters and the architecture to make the place Disney. Unfortunately around lunchtime there was a warning of thunderstorms so all outside rides were closed, this is the majority of them, plus the parades. This meant the queues for the inside rides were well over 90 minutes. I understand the need for health and safety but there was no wind, a little rain, no lightening and mainly patchy cloud - yet the rides were closed. Not that they would, but if Disney set up in the UK they would close the rides more than they would open them as our weather is like this most of the time and I have often sat on a roller coaster in the pouring rain. Such a shame and left a bitter taste in the mouth when we left as we couldn't go on a couple of the rides.

There is also an issue with the clientele that the area attracts. They either do not understand or just don't not have manors to be able to queue and wait their turn. We had one family member in front of us queuing and when they got to the front they called their family, of 9 members, and tried to push in from of us. Oh no you don't! Needless to say they stayed behind us after a few strong words and arm waving. This happened countless times with almost stampede like scenes when entering the Lion King and Mickey music show. Watch your feet as they will be trampled!!

Overall worth a visit but make sure you check the weather, be prepared to queue, be prepared for people who are rude and push in and highlight the rides you want to go on. Our stand outs were: Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Lion King and Toy Story race car.

2  Thank Jame5
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Disneyland

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Loved every single minute of our time there, I think I was more upset than the kids when we left. Can't fault it at all, tremendous,

1  Thank Rastus_B
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We spent two whole days at Hong Kong Disneyland a couple of weeks ago and it was two of the most fun filled days we have ever had. It was our first visit to a Disneyland and I had heard that the Hong Kong version was quite small compared to the others in America, Japan and France so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. But we were blown away. Our first day there was pretty hot but even that couldn't dampen our spirits. Whilst there aren't a huge amount of thrill rides for older children and adults, the rides they do currently have are pretty damn good. Space mountain, Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor are worth the admission price on their own, and then there are other attractions like Stitch Encounter, 4d show Philharmagic, and other highly enjoyable shows like The Golden Mickeys and The Festival of the Lion King(which was brilliant).
The queues were fairly long for the more popular rides, but they move pretty quickly and rarely was our wait as long as what was advertised outside the attraction and there is plenty of shade and large fans to keep people lining up cool.
The food we ate at the park was very good by amusement park standards and fairly well priced, and the the park's staff were very friendly and helpful. Organisation at the park is extremely good and all the staff know exactly what they're doing so as to keep things flowing and minimise wait times as much as possible.
Walking around the park(which smells like waffles in most areas) is truly a magical experience. Toy Story Land is beautiful to look at. Our daughter is almost 15 but she felt like a little kid again, as did we, especially when we watched the spectacular fireworks display that closes the park each night.
Two full days was plenty of time to spend at the park but we loved every minute of our time there and can't wait to go again, particularly when they've completed the Iron Man experience.
If Hong Kong is the least interesting of the Disney Parks, then we can only imagine how awesome the others must be because we had a ball. Tokyo Disneyland is hopefully next on my list but we wouldn't hesitate to visit HKDL again.

2  Thank Shane B
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I visited Hongkong Disneyland several weeks ago, but since my kids are below 4 years, I thought it's not worth to get in. So, we planned to visit but not buying tickets for entrance.
Ok, we arrived at the station that connected with train to the park. Well, the train tickets costs quite a lot, around 28 HKD maybe I do not really remember. How we love to be in that train which all about Mickey, the window shape, the hand holder, and there are Disney's characters statue too on every corner of the compartment. We started to feel so Disney. We reached the station, still felt so Disney because within several steps we easily reached the welcome gate with Mickey statue on it.... Strolling along the way, and we reached a big fountain with whale and again Mickey on it, still excited and felt so Disney, until my eyes reached the sight of crowds, which was the mass of people queueing at the ticket gate... Our Disney feeling dropped drastically! "Is that all?" we asked each other... Come on, don't wish for Mickey and friends to get out, we cannot even see the castle or anything. And almost no food stalls around outside the ticket gate. That was real just it!
If I knew it before, I wouldn't go out of the train station to save my Octopus balance...

1  Thank Irwansyah-Yoly
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My daughter (14) and I visited Hong Kong Disneyland last week. This was to be her birthday treat.
It was a very unpleasant day due to the heat and crowds.
There was no evidence of the Disney magic as crowds of people sweated it out in queues of up to 50 mins waiting for rides.
There is inadequate rides and facilities which are air conditioned.
Space Mountain was good and Mystic Manor was worthwhile but the rest was not worth the effort of standing in 30+ temp waiting in line. I don't know why they don't rethink the queuing areas and air condition where possible.

We arrived at 10am (opening time) and already it was over 30 degrees. In summer, why don't they have an earlier opening time of 8.30am before the heat gets too bad?

I had read on trip advisor that many rides are more suited to younger years and that's true. I am very pleased that we didn't take our 15 year old son.

To summarise, this particular Disneyland is just a theme park for children 12 and under with rides that happen to have a Disney theme. It is aimed at locals who may not have the opportunity to travel abroad and witness the real Disney magic.

2  Thank toddtrippas