“Big roach crawling in my blanket in the middle of the night”

Bonham Residence Hong Kong
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hong Kong
Ranked #413 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed in a 150 sq feet apt 2 years ago, on a discounted 3-month plan, waiting to move to the new place. Felt a bit stressed after one week because of the limited space, but I thought I could put up with it. But one night I woke up suddenly and my instinct told me something crawled into my blanket. I yelled and saw something dashed into the bathroom. I called the staff on night shift at the counter and he came in my room with a paper cup to fetch the roach. After like 30 minutes he managed to find it and kill it. But I was so terrified that I couldn't sleep at all after he left. Thank God the following day was Sat and I didn't have to work! And even for the whole day on Sat I still felt my heart had jumped out and my spirit was not in my body. So I decided to move out but the manager requested I paid back the difference between the discounted plan and the regular staying rate! I'm not kidding but since that night, I pray to have a insect-free night before I go to bed every night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Wai C
There are newer reviews for Bonham Residence Hong Kong

Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed at the YWCA Anne Black Guest House in Kowloon. First, the rooms are very basic and the furniture adequate but worn. The facility is very clean but there is no ambiance to speak of. The surrounding streets are busy and I did find it noisy at night. The bed was hard, and the blinds bent. Having said that, the room was very clean and had a wash basin, television, air conditioning, and toiletries. There was a guest booklet in the room with helpful information, and the linens included washcloths and towels that were very fresh. The womens toilet and shower area is locked and clean, so the "shared bathroom" was not traumatic. The hotel has public internet and laundry machines which can be used for a fee; a pay phone, and an adjacent cafe. The building is on a short, steep hill and not wheelchair accessible. It is within a block of buses (including one that will take the traveler to Victoria Harbor and the Star Ferry) and shopping that includes a Western-style grocery store. Although there are hotels and many restaurants in the area, I did not see many Westerners, so I ate, bused, and shopped among locals or Asian guests. Within walking distance are the tight, narrow streets filled with neon signs and street vendors, as well as a Post Office, McDonald's and Nathan Road. I got a discount card for the adjacent cafe but there was no breakfast plan at this facility.

The front desk personnel spoke English and was efficient, even ordering an airport shuttle for me when I left. Except for the hard bed, I was very happy with my stay there and would recommend the Anne Black and the adjoining cafe for anyone who wanted the kind of experience I did, that is, to experience Asia for the first time with adequate English support but without segregating myself with Westerners.

Room Tip: I ordered a double room and found it worth the extra money to be able to spread out.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my 8 year old daughter in October 2010 for 2 weeks. A great choice as we were there to sight see and shop and not swoon in a hotel. The rooms were a decent size, clean and new. We had a nice little view from our room and a swim in the roof pool on occasion. Breakfast was included in our package and the standard was good. A decent choice. My only gripe was that they closed the doors about 10:00am, and as hong kong is a night life place, it's hard to be up and about by 10am as you generally sleep in. Yes the location is a bit 'up there', but my advice is utilise the taxi cabs. They're cheap and faster than the buses. It's a quieter part of town up in the mid levels and a walk through the park/zoo is a nice break and convenient. I definitely recommend this hotel particularly if you want your own room and space and are a bit beyond the whole back packer scene.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank BooBoo007
Reviewed 14 May 2012

YWCA in Hong Kong China only supplies bath towels; not hand towels or wash cloths. Our AC is turned off when housekeeping cleans the room so we came back to a hot hotel room. With our on-line reservation stating "bathroom to share" we were surprised to find out they meant with other customers up to 14 possible and not just your traveling companion. We ended up paying extra because we didn't want to share the bathroom with the whole floor. Paint was peeling from the ceiling as I laid in bed. Only positive thing was the location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rsp103
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Hong Kong isn't cheap and if you would like to avoid the backpacker haunts, the YWCA is one option. It also isn't cheap, but for the price, you get a decent room with a good location.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank EthanandJocelyn
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Liked: my room (size, cleanliness), my view (of the park), the price

Didn't like: various interactions with the staff who didn't share the common sentiment that "the customer is always right"

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank charliewhittaker
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Staying for 5 nights whilst at a conference I found this to be a very quiet ,clean and remarkably well priced hotel from a hong kong perspective cabs are plentiful and cost about $us3 to get around central the supermarket next door has everything required my only complaint is that wifi is only avaiable in the lobby and costs about $us12 a day but this is a small expense when compared to the hotels down in central

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business