“Very standard hotel”

Best Western Plus Hotel Hong Kong
Ranked #174 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We chose this hotel for the location as we wanted to stay in that part of Hong Kong. We stayed for 4 nights at the beginning of our holiday and 2 nights at the end.
We paid £30 a night extra for a third bed in the room. For our first stay we had a normal room with the bed put between the middle of the twin beds and so there was very little space. For our second stay there had been a harbour view suite available which cost £30 more than our other room and was incredibly spacious. The extra bed was put in the corner of the sitting room. There was an en suite and another loo. The view though technically not of the harbour was brilliant. It was fun watching the ferries go by and the sun setting.
We found the staff fine but do think that there could have been more help with luggage and opening doors. The rooms were clean and had all the usual things. WiFi is now free and very good.
We did not have breakfast included so made use of the 7-11 just across the road and a very chinese dimsum restaurant a few doors away.
We liked the location as it is in a very chinese area near all the dried fish shops! We walked to the ferries in about 20 minutes. We always managed to get taxis easily and used the tram.
While not the best hotel I have stayed in, it was perfectly adequate and for Hong Kong not bad value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Rooms are small, even for the price and if you're on foot the hotel is a pain to get to, taking maybe 15-20 minutes to walk to from the nearest subway station. You need to pay to access the wifi which is spotty and by the time you finally get connected your time will probably have expired. Service was terrible and I will never stay here again. Spend the money on a good hotel if you want to really enjoy Hong Kong.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank James D
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I can see very mixed reviews for the Ramada. I chose to stay here because the location was perfect for my need, i.e. very close to University of Hong Kong. But the hotel has other things to recommend it -- large rooms, with a separate sitting area -- making it perhaps twice as big as the standard (tiny) rooms in most hotels. The email is free, and I got breakfast thrown in for a price perhaps half of what I would pay at other hotels. The staff were nice, and I had no problems.

So, why would you not stay here? Yes, it's tired and in need of refurbishment. It's also not at an MTR (subway) station. Taxis can be hard to get in this part of town, especially in rush hour. So, maybe it's not so great for a standard business trip. But if you like the tram (and I do), it's a 10 minute ride from Sheung Wan station.

The Cityflyer A12 bus stops across the road on Water Street. Only HK$45 direct from the airport. About 35 minutes. Also very convenient.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ChrisfromLondon
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed at Ramada hongkong for 2 nights. Female staff for check-in spoiled my first day in Hongkong. She was rude, unprofessional and even aggressive. I was so embarrassed because I have never experienced it in any other hotel. She was not only the person who was unkind. All female staff was same. When I bought breakfast coupon, the staff was also unkind. And the staff working at restaurant was the worst. I think that they should be trained cruelly. I wanted to escape from the hotel as soon as possible. It was like a nightmare. I never stay there again!

Location is not bad. But I recommend other hotels in tsimshatsui.
Room has enough space and old style. Amenity is not good.
Breakfast is bad and nothing to eat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank skyberry
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights before moving to the Courtyard Marriott, which was around the corner. Staff did not speak English well (except for a Filipino porter) and were quite brusque. The bathroom was as big as a portable potty and it leaked, flooding the floor. Since the reception people did not seem to understand me, I waited for the maid - who really did not speak English at all - but I pointed out the problem and she got it fixed. And gave me more towels. We asked for a queen and the room had 2 twin beds., which we moved side by side, since the receptionist refused to send help and even forbade it! We moved them back to their original spots before departure. Harbor view is obstructedby tall condos ( er, so NO view). Place is charming outside but clearly needs interior refurbishing. Trams to Central station stops right outside the hotel lobby. We found the housekeeping staff friendlier than the reception staff - so we called them directly everytime we had a problem and things got taken cared off in a timely manner.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Rhea L
Reviewed 7 March 2014

we hv been here several times for the last 15 years.......service is good. staff is gentle and professional. however the hotel needs a total refurbishment. furnitures, tiles, equipments look pretty old due to heavy wear and tear, especially caused by the last five years influx of new holiday-makers..........in anycase it is still a good hotel but not to ramada standards anymore.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SciarraC
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Check in was quite unprofessional and hectic.I had three bags and no one came out to help.
Roum could use some help especially the bathroom as one can
view from the pictures. I am not certain what the maid thinks is growing in the shower and why has she/he not alerted management. this shows lack of communication with one of the most important communication vehicles to achieve success in a hotel.
The locaton is OK and quite easy to public transportation. i had a suite however no TV in the room with the bed which is quite different.The light by the bed was brocken and their are very few power outlets. The wireless is quite fast and easy to connect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business