“Great Location & View”

Hotel Panorama by Rhombus
Ranked #96 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I've been to HK many times and I prefer to stay in the TST are due to the huge amount of connections to get around the great city. TST station exit through N1 which takes you right by the hotel. We took the Airport Express bus service which finishes/starts at the Holiday Inn just down the road.

We arrived early morning and they processed our check-in and then offered to store our cases as we went out for the first day sightseeing. When we returned later that afternoon we got upgraded to a full harbor view room rather than a side view. The view was spectacular! Light show around 8pm was much better than any TV show.

At time of booking we had paid a little more to have WiFi included. Reception was not sure at first and I really had to get them to check to confirm this. Otherwise the high cost for Internet not having pre-paid is robbery! WiFi should be free or at least for a small fee, not for a price of a meal.

Room itself no complaints, good sized twin beds, desk and the usual amenities. It was rather odd that there were discreet concealed tray above the fridge for tea and coffee. Took us a while to spot it. Bathroom was perfect, shower was powerful.

Noise from the hallway was a bit of a issue, doors are a bit thin and can hear your neighbors come and go.

We did not dine in the hotel due to the high cost, Within a short walk there are small cafes. K11 mall had lots of options inside including a excellent food supermarket with lots of nice snacks.

On the top floor there is a open sky garden, smokers were welcome. The gym was located within the next building and accessed via the ground floor, it was good spec for a hotel.

Overall pleased with the hotel due to value for money being very good. Shop around as some sites offer compliment WiFi with the booking for a small fee. Take a screen shot for proof!

Room Tip: High floor. View of harbour. Choose room at the end of corridors if you are a light sleeper due to t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Panorama by Rhombus

Reviewed 12 November 2012

The hotel was fantastic, or as my friend from hong kong ( who is my neighbour in the UK) this is a 6 star. We booked a king harbourview room with breakfast and evening reception, as it was our 45th wedding anniversary we were upgraded to a suite, the 1st room was great ,the suite was fantastic , what a view of hong kong harbour and the "Symphony of Lights. The suite was immaculate (well done Anna ), an spacious. The breakfast had at least 30 different things , Chinese English and Continental, plenty of choice, when one of the staff saw my wife leave the white of her egg and only eat the yolk, next day just the yolk, cooked of course (thank you Josephine and of course the kitchen staff. Edward who supervised the resturant was very good made sure we always had tea ( thank you Edward ) and not forgetting Kenny and Kamen. Our favourite was Grace, she was nice, always ready to help (manage ment material) The Rhombus club was sooo exclusive.. All in all the "Panorama " was the best of the best. We will definitely stay again, thr hotel was handy for everywhere. Make sure if you visit get an "Oyster card for travel on buses, metro and ferries. Once again MS Lau please thank all of your staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: all rooms face hong kong harbour . but it is worth it to upgrade to a Harbour view room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Benjamin F, General Manager at Hotel Panorama by Rhombus, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear Phil Manachester UK,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Panorama by Rhombus at Tripadvisor. We are happy to know that you particularly enjoyed the club lounge facilities and the food in our Ava Restaurant Slash bar. Thank you indeed for your good comments to Edward, Joseph, Kithcen staff, Grace, Anna & June, which definitely will help us continue to raise their motivation.

We noticed that the scores do not reflect to your actual expereince, would you be so kind as to adjust the scoring marks of Value, Location, Sleeping Quality, Cleaniliness, Rooms and Service to '5" instead of '1"

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Best regards
Benjamin

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Having recently stayed in another excellent hotel in Kowloon, which was 'out of the heart of the city', my daughter and I used TripAdvisor to select Hotel Panorama by Rhombus which is centrally located and offered everything we needed plus more.

My daughter needed to attend a conference at a hotel nearby and I was left to do my own thing for a few days so this hotel seemed perfectly positioned.

When booking through Expedia, we initially had a hitch that they were unable to resolve. Therefore, knowing the matter was so trivial (albeit important to us), I was sure management of the Hotel would not allow such a small issue to tarnish their otherwise good name, and I was right. An email to the General Manager, Mr Benjamin Fung, saw the matter resolved within an hour and ensured that we could then look forward to our stay - thank you again Mr Fung.

Yes, the foyer is unimpressive, and there is no grand entrance - but who cares! The hotel is extremely central and has everything a traveller requires. We were initially directed from the ground floor foyer where our luggage was attended to, to the first floor where the primary lobby is located as well as a buffet style restaurant that was well patronised. We were immediately taken to the 39th Floor, where the Rhombus Club is located as we, like many others, chose to stay on the Executive Club floors. We would definitely recommend this option, if it is at all within your budget, to other prospective visitors.

The Rhombus Club on the 39th floor, is the only place Executive Club guests, have to deal with for checking in and out and anything else throughout your stay at the hotel. The Executive Floors have two express lifts and there are no delays.

The Club benefits are excellent, allowing you access to the Rhombus Club throughout the day and evening where there were always hot and cold drinks, little cakes and nibbles available. From 5.30pm complimentary alcoholic drinks, including wine and spirits are served together with very tasty hot and cold treats to compliment this relaxing time as you sit and enjoy the magnificent wide views of the harbour and Hong Kong this hotel has to offer. It is also a wonderful place to enjoy the evening laser light shows from 8pm. If you'd rather be outside, you can also visit the 40th floor and enjoy the show and the sights from the hotel's Sky Garden. No need to go elsewhere! (Oh, and a big thank you to Grace who made hot chocolate for my daughter and went out of her way to ensure we were well looked after).

Now, my (our) favourite part was the fabulous breakfast served in Ava's on the 38th floor, which is included in your Executive Club booking. The food (and service) was wonderful, and again with stunning views of the city and harbour across to Hong Kong island. So relaxing! The food choice is wide and varied and designed to suit international travellers from all parts of the world, yet ensuring that you never leave hungry. You can also order omelettes, fried or poached eggs and probably more from the kitchen. If I ever happen to read any complaints about the breakfast, I would have to say the writer was extremely hard to please.

Their are additional Executive Club Benefits including free Wi-Fi and other niceties, which augurs well for a comfortable stay.

The rooms have everything you require, including Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, a pleasant discovery when initially looking around your room. There is an ironing board, iron, clothes brush, shoe brush, laundry bag, secure safe etc. The newspaper is delivered to your room every morning and your bed is turned down with a lovely little gesture in the shape of a bookmark that shows you the expected weather for the next day on one side and a message to think about on the other. There are also herbal teas left in the evening together with a sweet treat. Some nice touches. We checked in of an evening and the evening room attendant was extremely efficient, and pleasant, ensuring that all out needs were attended to such as additional coat hangers (two ladies in Hong Kong need additional hangers for all their clothes).

The beds were extremely comfortable with the choice of firm or soft pillows. We particularly liked the fact that everything could be controlled centrally from your bedside. A real benefit when you don't want to get out of bed to turn off the lights or turn the air conditioning down.

The rooms are not big in size but we couldn't find anything the room lacked, and besides, when you are visiting Hong Kong, who stays in their room all day!! As mother and daughter, we
shared a king size bed (amazing how my daughter decided to change her usual side of the bed, and mine, to be next to the windows). We were also offered the choice of a room with two double beds, but decided to share. Why? Because our room (3113) had fabulous views (hence my daughter's decision to swap bed sides). In the bathroom, the bath/shower was set in to two full corner windows. We just hoped people couldn't see in when we bathed in absolute delight enjoying the magnificent scenery, looking up and down the harbour and across to Hong Kong island. Fabulous day and night.

In our room, there were also full length windows stretching around the corner, again offering beautiful extended views. There is a comfortable lounge chair in the room, where I would sometimes relax and read when my daughter was at the conference. I just turned it around towards the view and rested my feet on the wide ledged window sills and enjoyed! Oh, and of course, your room has a mini bar - if you wish to use it.

A couple of things about the hotel. Following the completion of my daughter's conference, we tried for two nights to book in to Hotel Panorama's signature restaurant, Ava's (where we had breakfast), which we understand is award winning, but it had been completely booked out. I'm not sure if it was for conferences or what, but if you would like to try the food in this restaurant, as we would have liked, I suggest you book early!

The second thing, is that coming from the airport to the hotel, we risked our lives in a local taxi that obviously did not know the speed limits or the fact that you don't get very far swerving in and out of traffic. Besides, your luggage is shoved in the back, boot open, with an octopus strap securing all your belongings. Funny, we think our driver lived out of the car as there was one of those big striped bags full on the front seat and in the boot, there were two!! We chose not to use this option and spoil our holiday to go back to the airport. You can, if you wish, use the Airport Express MTR, which we heard was extremely efficient as you book your luggage in for the flight at the station, making it easy from there. But, the problem is getting there. You either get a taxi to the station (not for us), or you can use the MTR to get there. Again, not for us only because our luggage was a lot heavier leaving than coming - more about this later. So, what we did was book the hotel's vehicle to take us to the airport. Such a relief! A lovely clean, comfortable and air conditioned MPV with a driver who was courteous to others on the road and to his passengers. So, what I would suggest, is that you arrange your transit to and from the airport with the hotel. It is a much more pleasant and safe way to travel. Yes, it costs more, but it is worth it.

As mentioned earlier, I had visited Hong Kong in March this year, with my husband, however it is a lot different going with your daughter, especially in relation to shopping, than with your husband - if you know what I mean. That is unless 'your' partner enjoys shopping....... In saying this, if you are visiting to shop, then I would suggest you try shopping at CityGate Shopping Centre early in your visit as there are quite a few bargains there, from Guess handbags to well known designer labels. I suggest you go early, as directly next to the centre, is the cable car to Lantau Island and the giant Buddah. A great sight seeing experience. Make sure you get a ticket for the Crystal Cars as they are clear on the bottom and you can see the views from that perspective. They are very clean and you even get to see waterfalls under your feet. The tickets are cheap, no need to go on a tour. You can spend at least a couple of hours there, unless you walk up to the Buddah when you would need to allow more time. Then get the return cable car back to CityGate and shop - yeh! The reason I say do it in this order is because most shops in Hong Kong don't open until 11am (some at 10am) and they also close really late, again around 10pm.

CityGate is located close to the airport, but is extremely easy to travel by MTR. Don't be afraid to use this system. It is flawless. You may have to stand at peak times, but the trains come constantly. From the hotel, you turn left at the entrance, walk a few steps to the corner, then turn immediately right and you can see the entrance to the MTR. It's a brief walk underground to the actual station. Go to Tsim Tsa Tsui station (not East Tsim Tsa Tsui) as the line is easier to use. Buying tickets are easy too, you can either purchase an Octopus Card (we didn't), or go up to the self service machines, one that take notes, press where you want to go, the cost comes up on the screen, you insert the note (or coins), your ticket comes out, together with any change. Tsim Tsa Tsui is on the 'red' line. Get on the red line train and travel 9 stops to Lai King, change trains (easy - a few seconds walk across the platform) and walk on to the train to Tung Chung on the 'orange' line and travel 4 stops and you're right there. Look for the signs as the station goes directly in to CityGate. One thing, do not hesitate to stop and ask the locals. We did this constantly and always found the person we stopped extremely helpful. The MTR's also run constantly so never a need to rush. Oh, and inside the air conditioned MTR's, over each door, the whole MTR system is shown with the MTR you are on highlighted with lights and announcements in English and Mandarin advising what stop is next and where you change to go to wherever.

For those who haven't visited Hong Kong before, I would suggest you go to the Peninsular Hotel and purchase a two day pass on the Big Bus (negotiate the price). That way you can familiarise yourself with both Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, as well as travelling across the harbour by the Star Ferry. Your tickets also includes a harbour cruise (sort of) on a junk, that enables you to experience the cities from the harbour. There are three different routes which, if you intend to stay for a number of days, will give you a real feel of where to go. If you are only visiting for short time, these trips once again, give you the feel of both Kowloon and Hong Kong cities. You can get on and off the Big Bus at any stop. The bus offers you headsets which you can plug in to your seat, adjust to the language you speak and listen to facts about the sights you are passing rather than using the very efficient public system but you haven't got a clue what you are passing. My daughter and I didn't do this trip this time, due to shopping demands, but having done it earlier this year, with my husband, it certainly enabled me to have some knowledge of where to go!

One place, where the Big Bus goes, that my daughter and I went by public transport (MTR one stop to Admiralty - then the 269, 6 or 66 bus - ask the locals) was Stanley and Stanley markets. It's a great day, passing some beautiful landscapes, beaches and properties. The markets aren't junky. You can buy some good stuff here, or some junky type stuff if you want but make sure, at the end of the day, even if your feet are tired, you walk out of the end of the inside markets, turn right and walk along the beach front. We did this and the sun was just setting, just as you turn the corner you will see a group of restaurants. Not the first one on the closest corner but the one across the road is a bar/restaurant. It had a chalk board out the front with an offer for a carafe of mango margarita's. My daughter usually doesn't drink, but after a big day I convinced her to join me watching the sunset. It was just lovely. One of the other tables had their food coming out and it looked magnificent. Sort of Spanish style, people were so friendly and the guest was telling me all about the food. We weren't really hungry but I had to have the ribs and ordered my daughter 'Death by Chocolate' (she's a chocolate fanatic). Both were exceptional. Everybody was talking with everybody, so friendly, but what really struck me was when we got up to leave the owner invited us to stay 'as his guest'. You wouldn't see that happen in many places and no, we weren't under the weather from the margarita's..... Sorry, I can't recall the name of the restaurant and my credit card bill isn't in yet, so I hope I've given you enough directions to find it. Oh, when you are ready to go, just turn the corner and walk up to the buses. Too easy.

I hope I've provided you with a little bit of helpful information for your visit to Hong Kong. When we return to Hong Kong, some time in the future, we will not hesitate to stay at Hotel Panorama by Rhombus. Everything is at your door step and the hotel is fabulous. We will be certainly recommending to all our friends and you too!!

Room Tip: We loved the '13' room. The ones on the corner, with the corner windows. Beautiful views a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank deniseataqua
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We spent 4 nights at Hotel Panorama and we have booked the club room. As it was a birthday and post anniversary trip hence I had specifically requested for a room with the harbor view. The reservation staff tried to help on my request and to my surprise they even decorated our bed with rose petals and gave us a complimetary bottle of red wine.

The service rendered by the hotel staffs were great, very helpful and polite. The housekeeping service is great too. On few occasions we left our mobile phone in the room and went out to our sightseeing with the make up room request tag on door knob. All our valuable belongings remain in the room when we return, nothing missing. Great integrity!

Location is great, just a 1 min walk to the MTR station and a 5 mins walk to the busy Cameron road in Tsim Sha Tsui. The only negative part is the difficulty to search for the hotel when we first arrive and Taxi driver apparently doesnt seems to know this hotel. Other than that, this Hotel is excellent.

It is a little pricey for the hotel but all Hotels in Hong Kongs are expensive depending on how you perceive the value. To me, the service, the location and the view of the room has made up for the extra $$ I have paid on the accomodation.

If it is affordable, would strongly recommend to stay at the Club room as the checked in is at a different floor, breakfast is at a different floor from the rest. Higher room with better view, complimentary drinks and snacks at the executive club floor on 39th Storey, Free wifi in the room.

Thumbs up for the hotel and staffs. We will sure to choose this hotel again if we are back in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Stay in a club room if its affordable and if you want to have a great view of the Victoria habor. Ch...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jing_le_bell1027
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I read about this hotel on Trip Advisor, and so glad I booked, the location was fantastic, short walk to Nathan Road, as well at the entrance to the MTR, our room was great, and my kids were excited as we had a harbor view room (on the 22nd Floor) which was awesome, every morning we used to sit and watch the ships and boats on the harbor and at night sit back and watch the laser show. The staff and service was outstanding. Sure it didn’t have free Wifi but that didn’t bother us. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Hong Kong.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank katsrule
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This Hotel is a great place to stay close to transport, Restaurants and Bars. The hotel has very friendly staff who look after all your needs. Rooms are spacious and the harbour views excellent and the view from the club floor and sky garden exceptional, overall an enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Get a Harbour View Room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We booked a club room and stayed 10 days. The service was excellent nothing was too much trouble. The room had an amazing view of the harbor. Access to the club room means free soft drinks , tea and coffee and nibbles all day long and between 5-30 and 8-30 free alcoholic drinks and hot food too.We would definitely used this hotel again while in Hong Kong. i

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple